Would you be able to enjoy immortality?

Discuss the February 2017 Book of the Month, The Diary of an Immortal by David J Castello.
Moniquejm
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 2759">What is and isn't Working for the Alcoholic and Addict</a>
Currently Reading: Small Change
Bookshelf Size: 151
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moniquejm.html
Latest Review: "Farmer Beau's Farm" by Kathleen Geiger

Re: Would you be able to enjoy immortality?

Post by Moniquejm »

A big NO! I do not want to be involve in immortality. I cannot imagine myself being in this situation in my whole life.
Latest Review: "Farmer Beau's Farm" by Kathleen Geiger
hailvilla18
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hailvilla18.html
Latest Review: "Loving Marie" by Dawn Reno Langley

Post by hailvilla18 »

At first, I think I would enjoy immorality. It is because many people fear death and even spend millions to keep breathing, but for me, I have nothing to worry for I will live eternally. However in the latter part, I am sure I would struggle seeing my family, friends, and loved ones perish.
Latest Review: "Loving Marie" by Dawn Reno Langley
Shein30438
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shein30438.html
Latest Review: "Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)" by Janet McNulty
Reading Device: B07XR7CPXG

Post by Shein30438 »

I don't think I'd be able to enjoy my immortality, especially if my family was purely mortal. Knowing that there is never an end would make me feel like there was no point to living out great experiences in life. I mean you would probably feel the need to want to make a difference for the fact that it is not someone else's future at stake it is also yours. Yet bringing attention to yourself would cause a lot of questions and speculations on why you never aged. This reminds me of a movie I recently watched, "age of Adeline". Adeline was immoral, stuck in her late 20s, early 30s. She stayed young and watched her daughter aged and the world around her. She couldn't get close to anyone because it was too hard for the world around her to understand and therefore she had to travel from place to place about every decade so people wouldn't wonder why she didn't age. I feel if life never ended it would not be as important to try our best to make a difference or be our best self because there was never a deadline to meet. No legacy to leave behind, no effort to be remembered for being great.
Latest Review: "Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)" by Janet McNulty
Pilar Guerrero
Favorite Author: Susan Clayton-Goldner
Currently Reading: The American Claimant
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pilar-guerrero.html
Latest Review: "Lady Ruth Bromfield" by Gordon Smith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 56111

Post by Pilar Guerrero »

This is a good question, for it sets a scenario for immortality. I don't think I would be able to enjoy immortality in these terms. I see these stakes as a kind of restriction and I imagine myself being immortal and truly free.
However, it is very likely that at first I feel that way, then I guess I would learn to live in different terms, maybe I would develop other qualities that would help me deal with the high stakes you mention. I think that when you are immortal you have many chances and possibilities to learn from.
Latest Review: "Lady Ruth Bromfield" by Gordon Smith
va2016
Favorite Book: The Vatican Protocol
Currently Reading: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance
Bookshelf Size: 716
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-va2016.html
Latest Review: The Mystery of the Hidden Cabin by M.E. Hembroff

Post by va2016 »

MarisaRose wrote:We always say that youth is wasted on the young because young people tend to act recklessly due to unrealistic feelings of invincibility. If you were immortal, do you think the fact that you have A LOT more living to do would cause you to be overly cautious in life because there would be a lot more life at stake? Would this hinder your ability to make a difference? Would you really enjoy your immortality?
Great question! It kindles the thought about what 'living the life' really means. Does having a healthy
body alone and preserving it mean living the life? Would there be any motivation to live with just a
healthy body, but without a purpose? On the other hand, would one act recklessly without caring for
the body and the mind just for a zeal or a purpose?

I think the answer is balance. And everyone has their own. I think it would be safe to assume that one
need to have a clear sense of the circumstances and situations they are in, whether they want to
contribute to the situation (or) change it for better/worse, and how long it would take to accomplish
what they want to do. When they figure it out, that will give an idea of the timeframe it will take
to do whatever they want to do, and accordingly they can decide how long they want to live.

Without a purpose or a goal, it's all random, and difficult to decide.
MoisBenarroch
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by MoisBenarroch »

Immortality lives in every second we live, it's there forever.
Ajgird
Currently Reading: Eclipse
Bookshelf Size: 31

Post by Ajgird »

I don't think I would be able to enjoy being immortal because I think it would be too painful. I wouldn't want to be the only one still around out of all of my loved ones. I think that I would also have a hard time adjusting to the world around me. Where it would be cool to be able to know what happened in the past, I still don't think that I would be able to enjoy it.
christinac_2585
Currently Reading: City of Ashes
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christinac-2585.html
Latest Review: "The firstborn" by Helena K Workman
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by christinac_2585 »

I would have to say I would not want to be immortal, but if it happened without against my will I would probably enjoy it for a while. After living so long I would imagine I would long for death because I would always end up alone.

-- 01 Apr 2017, 13:52 --

I would have to say I would not want to be immortal, but if it happened without against my will I would probably enjoy it for a while. After living so long I would imagine I would long for death because I would always end up alone.
"Books are the plane, and the train, and the road. They are the destination, and the journey. They are home."
- Anna Quindlen
Latest Review: "The firstborn" by Helena K Workman
Lest92
Currently Reading: Oil and Marble
Bookshelf Size: 199
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lest92.html
Latest Review: The Everywhere Spirit by Nicholas Applin

Post by Lest92 »

No, goodness, I've had enough of this and I've only been around for 25 years. Forever would be horrible :shock:
AA1495
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 19636">Out of the Box Awakening</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aa1495.html
Latest Review: YiaYia’s Kitchen by Brianna Koucos Midgley

Post by AA1495 »

I don't think I would do any differently right now. However, I might enjoy immortality depending on the circumstances and situations.
Ckennedy
Currently Reading: Divergent
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ckennedy.html
Latest Review: "My Trip to Adele" by A.I.Alyaseer, R.I.Alyaseer

Post by Ckennedy »

I would have a hard time being immortal. I wouldn't be able to watch my family die and know that I would have to go on without them.
Latest Review: "My Trip to Adele" by A.I.Alyaseer, R.I.Alyaseer
Rey
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rey.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by Rey »

It may feel exciting at first, but then you'd start noticing that people are growing and changing around you while you're still at the same spot all throughout life. It's suddenly not exciting anymore.
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
Peta2017
Currently Reading: The Reel Sisters
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peta2017.html
Latest Review: Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

Post by Peta2017 »

It could be..once my loved ones are still around and the world is 'stable'
Spirit Wandering
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... bastian</a>
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spirit-wandering.html
Latest Review: JOURNEY - Becoming the Dream Walker by T.N. Bui

Post by Spirit Wandering »

I would not enjoy immortality in the sense of living one particular lifetime forever. However, I believe in reincarnation. In a way, it is a form of immortality as our soul reincarnates from one lifetime to the next, completing unfinished lessons from previous lives and embarking on new ones.
Interested in books that help one's spirit move beyond the ordinary.
Antonia Dominique
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by Antonia Dominique »

I don't think I would be able to enjoy immortality by by myself. To me, a fulfilling life is about having people with me that I care about and I love. If I could live forever with my favorite people - friends and family, then sure. But without them everything would be sour.

Return to “Discuss "The Diary of an Immortal (1945-1959)" by David J Castello”