Would you be able to enjoy immortality?

Discuss the February 2017 Book of the Month, The Diary of an Immortal by David J Castello.
csimmons032
Favorite Author: Stephenie Meyer
Favorite Book: Twilight and The Last Song
Currently Reading: Bluewater Walkabout
Bookshelf Size: 706
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-csimmons032.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
fav_author_id: 2594

Re: Would you be able to enjoy immortality?

Post by csimmons032 »

I do not think I would enjoy being immortal on this earth. I would always struggle with staying young while everyone I loved was getting older. Eventually they would leave this earth, and I would be all alone and have to adapt to new people, and that's assuming I would want to get to know anyone new. That life sounds too heartbreaking to me and I wouldn't want it. Being an immortal would come with too many obstacles that I wouldn't want to deal with.
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
jemgirl202
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 870
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jemgirl202.html
Latest Review: My Angel My Hero by Brenda E. Mcdaniel

Post by jemgirl202 »

I personally wouldn't want to be immortal. I wouldn't want to watch all my loved ones die and I live. However, if I had no choice, I would read and travel. There is that saying, "So many books, so little time." Yep, I would definitely read all the books.
Dr frankenstein
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 97

Post by Dr frankenstein »

Most definitely I will enjoy it because there is just so much to do that even being an immortal you will not be able to do.
Kelebogile Mbangi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelebogile-mbangi.html
Latest Review: At Day's End, I'll Always Be Me by Jerry A. Greenberg

Post by Kelebogile Mbangi »

The universe is infinite right? Perhaps I'm misinformed but if it is, then there'll always be something new to discover. as long as you have a curious nature, which I do. So yes! I would enjoy immortality!
"And will you succeed?
Yes! You will, indeed!
(98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed.)
KID, YOU'LL MOVE MOUNTAINS!" - Dr. Seuss
Dr frankenstein
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 97

Post by Dr frankenstein »

I am with you on that Kelebogile.
kislany
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 527
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kislany.html
Latest Review: Golden Skies by Juan Zapata

Post by kislany »

I've been just thinking about this topic the other day. I'm (re)binge-watching Angel, the popular TV series from back in the day and thinking of why Buffy and Angel decided to end their relationship, the issue of immortality came up as well. And then I got into thinking - would I want to be immortal, to see everyone around me wither away and die of old age, while I remain forever the same? I honestly don't know. Part of me would want to live forever, to see the changes our world goes through year after year, decade after decade, heck century after century, but part of me would fear the loneliness I would experience and the pain of constantly losing people I would be close to.
AYISHA_ASH
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayisha-ash.html
Latest Review: "My Mother Called Me UNNI" by Dr. Venugopal K. Menon

Post by AYISHA_ASH »

I guess you wouldn't really appreciate life to the fullest if you were immortal. On one hand, you would have infinite time at your hands but on the other hand you would get bored of everything after a while.
Latest Review: "My Mother Called Me UNNI" by Dr. Venugopal K. Menon
Ssinghal
Bookshelf Size: 1113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ssinghal.html
Latest Review: "Call Me Pomeroy" by James Hanna

Post by Ssinghal »

Not really. I believe the "mistakes " we make in our youth actually define us for what we are. And they are an inherent part of us. If I became immortal, it would mean a dull and monotonous life, and I'm sure if I would enjoy it that way.
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, said Jojen. The man who never reads lives only one...
-George RR Martin
Latest Review: "Call Me Pomeroy" by James Hanna
Naval Aulakh
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naval-aulakh.html
Latest Review: "The Deserving" by Efren O'brien

Post by Naval Aulakh »

I am never going to enjoy immortality. When all my friends and loved ones will leave me due to their mortality then I will feel alone and I would not be able to enjoy my life.
Live Life to the Fullest and Enjoy Reading!!
Latest Review: "The Deserving" by Efren O'brien
Kinnera
Currently Reading: Escape
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kinnera.html
Latest Review: "A Faithful Son" by Michael Scott Garvin

Post by Kinnera »

Wasif Ahmed wrote:Well, for one thing I don't want to be immortal. If somehow I do become immortal, then I think that I will enjoy it initially. Knowing that one has all the time in the world and that one can do anything is definitely exciting. But overtime I will, just like any other immortal, get bored and wish that death takes me away.
^I think this is a great representation of how I feel too! I think an extended life span might fit, but it will not make me anymore cautious, I think.
Latest Review: "A Faithful Son" by Michael Scott Garvin
eelavahs-jay
Currently Reading: Island of the Gods
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eelavahs-jay.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Post by eelavahs-jay »

I think the hardest part of immortality would be watching your loved ones repeatedly pass on and having to deal with the grief. I'm on the fence about whether I'd enjoy immortality or not. On one hand I don't even want to live the life I have now. But just thinking about all the places I could visit (possibly even planets considering how rapidly technology is advancing) I get excited. But what's life without a constant body to share it with? I mean I think of all the new friends I'd have to meet and the family I'd have to keep making and that just sounds horrible.
Anjum
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anjum.html
Latest Review: "The Elf Brief" by Jordan David

Post by Anjum »

No. I think that life would really get boring and sad because everyone and everything we love will gradually disappear.
Latest Review: "The Elf Brief" by Jordan David
Sakilunamermaid
Currently Reading: Ready Player One
Bookshelf Size: 481
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Sakilunamermaid »

I'd enjoy it at first. I'd travel, learn languages, earn every degree and work in every field. There would definitely come a time where everyone you know and love would die. I don't know if it would be worth it or beneficial to make new attachments after that. There would come a day where everything became old and there was nothing left to see, do, or learn. What once was an amazing limitless adventure would become mundane and tiresome.
atonykamau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-atonykamau.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by atonykamau »

I don't think I could enjoy immortality because I wouldn't have my friends and family. Eventually, as the years would continue to pass they would grow old and die and I would be all alone.
rcarr13
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rcarr13.html
Latest Review: Weaponized Prayer Missiles Against Infirmities. by Dr. Omolara Olaniyi

Post by rcarr13 »

I would not want to be immortal. It might be interesting at first, but I would not want to live to see my kids die off and then their kids after them. I also realize that no matter how long a person lives there would be no way one person could fix every bad thing that happens in the world. I would not want to continually witness terrible things happening and not be able to help for centuries. I'm happy with the life I have and whatever amount of time I have.

Return to “Discuss "The Diary of an Immortal (1945-1959)" by David J Castello”