Forum Navigation: Forum Index » Book of the Month » Book of the month » Discuss "The Diary of an Immortal (1945-1959)" by David J Castello

Want FREE books and FREE Amazon gift cards?

Each day we announce via email a book that is either FREE or on a temporary sale at a great discount price. These are not your average free books. These are incredible insider deals on well-rated books. OnlineBookClub.org is where tomorrow's bestsellers are born. We also give away over $1,000 per month of free Amazon gift cards in free daily giveaways, exclusively to those signed up to these announcements! Hurry, sign up free now:

Sorry, this proves you are human.

Would you be able to enjoy immortality?

Discuss the February 2017 Book of the Month, The Diary of an Immortal by David J Castello.

Re: Would you be able to enjoy immortality?

Post Number:#46 by Moniquejm
» 23 Mar 2017, 22:00

A big NO! I do not want to be involve in immortality. I cannot imagine myself being in this situation in my whole life.
Moniquejm

Currently Reading: The Banned Book about Love
Bookshelf Size: 14 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 20 Books
Goal Completion: 0%

Did you know?

Once you join the forums and log in you will get to enjoy a very ad-reduced experience. It's easy and completely free!

Post Number:#47 by hailvilla18
» 25 Mar 2017, 04:10

At first, I think I would enjoy immorality. It is because many people fear death and even spend millions to keep breathing, but for me, I have nothing to worry for I will live eternally. However in the latter part, I am sure I would struggle seeing my family, friends, and loved ones perish.
hailvilla18's Latest Review: "Loving Marie" by Dawn Reno Langley
hailvilla18

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 0 Books

Post Number:#48 by Shein30438
» 25 Mar 2017, 21:14

I don't think I'd be able to enjoy my immortality, especially if my family was purely mortal. Knowing that there is never an end would make me feel like there was no point to living out great experiences in life. I mean you would probably feel the need to want to make a difference for the fact that it is not someone else's future at stake it is also yours. Yet bringing attention to yourself would cause a lot of questions and speculations on why you never aged. This reminds me of a movie I recently watched, "age of Adeline". Adeline was immoral, stuck in her late 20s, early 30s. She stayed young and watched her daughter aged and the world around her. She couldn't get close to anyone because it was too hard for the world around her to understand and therefore she had to travel from place to place about every decade so people wouldn't wonder why she didn't age. I feel if life never ended it would not be as important to try our best to make a difference or be our best self because there was never a deadline to meet. No legacy to leave behind, no effort to be remembered for being great.
Shein30438's Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
Shein30438

Currently Reading: Who Told You That You Were Naked?
Bookshelf Size: 21 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Fire HD 7 Tablet

Post Number:#49 by Pilar Guerrero
» 26 Mar 2017, 17:51

This is a good question, for it sets a scenario for immortality. I don't think I would be able to enjoy immortality in these terms. I see these stakes as a kind of restriction and I imagine myself being immortal and truly free.
However, it is very likely that at first I feel that way, then I guess I would learn to live in different terms, maybe I would develop other qualities that would help me deal with the high stakes you mention. I think that when you are immortal you have many chances and possibilities to learn from.
Pilar Guerrero's Latest Review: "Lady Ruth Bromfield" by Gordon Smith
Pilar Guerrero

Currently Reading: For the Love of Suzanne
Bookshelf Size: 41 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Kindle Paperwhite

Post Number:#50 by va2016
» 26 Mar 2017, 21:57

MarisaRose wrote:We always say that youth is wasted on the young because young people tend to act recklessly due to unrealistic feelings of invincibility. If you were immortal, do you think the fact that you have A LOT more living to do would cause you to be overly cautious in life because there would be a lot more life at stake? Would this hinder your ability to make a difference? Would you really enjoy your immortality?

Great question! It kindles the thought about what 'living the life' really means. Does having a healthy
body alone and preserving it mean living the life? Would there be any motivation to live with just a
healthy body, but without a purpose? On the other hand, would one act recklessly without caring for
the body and the mind just for a zeal or a purpose?

I think the answer is balance. And everyone has their own. I think it would be safe to assume that one
need to have a clear sense of the circumstances and situations they are in, whether they want to
contribute to the situation (or) change it for better/worse, and how long it would take to accomplish
what they want to do. When they figure it out, that will give an idea of the timeframe it will take
to do whatever they want to do, and accordingly they can decide how long they want to live.

Without a purpose or a goal, it's all random, and difficult to decide.
va2016

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 50 Books
Goal Completion: 26%

Post Number:#51 by MoisBenarroch
» 29 Mar 2017, 09:13

Immortality lives in every second we live, it's there forever.
MoisBenarroch

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0 books
2017 Reading Goal: 1 Books

Post Number:#52 by Ajgird
» 30 Mar 2017, 22:27

I don't think I would be able to enjoy being immortal because I think it would be too painful. I wouldn't want to be the only one still around out of all of my loved ones. I think that I would also have a hard time adjusting to the world around me. Where it would be cool to be able to know what happened in the past, I still don't think that I would be able to enjoy it.
Ajgird

Currently Reading: Eclipse
Bookshelf Size: 31 books

Post Number:#53 by christinac_2585
» 01 Apr 2017, 13:52

I would have to say I would not want to be immortal, but if it happened without against my will I would probably enjoy it for a while. After living so long I would imagine I would long for death because I would always end up alone.

-- 01 Apr 2017, 13:52 --

I would have to say I would not want to be immortal, but if it happened without against my will I would probably enjoy it for a while. After living so long I would imagine I would long for death because I would always end up alone.
"Books are the plane, and the train, and the road. They are the destination, and the journey. They are home."
- Anna Quindlen
christinac_2585's Latest Review: "The Day For You.The Night For Me." by N.Sherry
christinac_2585

Currently Reading: It
Bookshelf Size: 55 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Fire HD 7 Tablet
2017 Reading Goal: 100 Books
Goal Completion: 40%

Post Number:#54 by Lest92
» 02 Apr 2017, 10:43

No, goodness, I've had enough of this and I've only been around for 25 years. Forever would be horrible :shock:
Lest92

Currently Reading: The Witches of Eastwick
Bookshelf Size: 171 books

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#55 by AA1495
» 02 Apr 2017, 10:59

I don't think I would do any differently right now. However, I might enjoy immortality depending on the circumstances and situations.
AA1495

Favorite Book: Out of the Box Awakening
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 150 Books
Goal Completion: 7%

Post Number:#56 by Ckennedy
» 02 Apr 2017, 23:36

I would have a hard time being immortal. I wouldn't be able to watch my family die and know that I would have to go on without them.
Ckennedy

Currently Reading: Divergent
Bookshelf Size: 11 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 10 Books
Goal Completion: 60%

Post Number:#57 by Rey
» 05 Apr 2017, 10:18

It may feel exciting at first, but then you'd start noticing that people are growing and changing around you while you're still at the same spot all throughout life. It's suddenly not exciting anymore.
Rey's Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
Rey

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10 books

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#58 by Peta2017
» 11 Apr 2017, 12:16

It could be..once my loved ones are still around and the world is 'stable'
Peta2017's Latest Review: "The Expelled" by Mois Benarroch
Peta2017

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 20 Books
Goal Completion: 45%

Post Number:#59 by Spirit Wandering
» 12 Apr 2017, 19:39

I would not enjoy immortality in the sense of living one particular lifetime forever. However, I believe in reincarnation. In a way, it is a form of immortality as our soul reincarnates from one lifetime to the next, completing unfinished lessons from previous lives and embarking on new ones.
Interested in books that help one's spirit move beyond the ordinary.
Spirit Wandering's Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare
Spirit Wandering

Favorite Book: Sebastian
Currently Reading: The Quetzal's Skull
Bookshelf Size: 40 books

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#60 by Antonia Dominique
» 13 Apr 2017, 16:58

I don't think I would be able to enjoy immortality by by myself. To me, a fulfilling life is about having people with me that I care about and I love. If I could live forever with my favorite people - friends and family, then sure. But without them everything would be sour.
Antonia Dominique

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14 books

PreviousNext