Favorite fictional Immortal character

Discuss the February 2017 Book of the Month, The Diary of an Immortal by David J Castello.
noorsawhney
Currently Reading: The Hobbit
Bookshelf Size: 185
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-noorsawhney.html
Latest Review: "Aluria" by Tyler Cook

Re: Favorite fictional Immortal character

Post by noorsawhney »

I loved Tessa Gray from The Infernal Devices, also The Doctor (obvious - can't resist a journey through space and time in a blue box!), Peter Pan (my dream best friend when I was younger) and one I'm very interested to find out about is Dorian Gray from The Picture of Dorian Gray - I've been wanting to read that book for a while and I know I'm going to love his character
“Nolite te bastardes carborundorum"
Latest Review: "Aluria" by Tyler Cook
David Nash
Currently Reading: Slay the Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-david-nash.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill
Reading Device: B009XE0K7W

Post by David Nash »

I actually don't remember too many immortal characters. I do remember many who were very long lived. I think my favorite was a sword and sorcery series in which Cain - who was the original from Cain and Able was condemned to walk the earth for eternity seeing the results of his first crime. I'm afraid I can't remember the author at the moment.
psychopathycathy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1344
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-psychopathycathy.html
Latest Review: Notes of Sorrow Songs Of Joy by Robert Lauri

Post by psychopathycathy »

My mind goes back to Jesse from Tuck Everlasting who I LOVED. The book was one of my favorites and still is to this day!
Insomniac07
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-insomniac07.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Post by Insomniac07 »

I'd have to agree with you. The Doctor is one of my all time favorites, though personally, I prefer David Tennant's version. Apart from him and the others mentioned in this thread, I can't come up with anyone immortal.
seeker19
Currently Reading: The Trials of Apollo
Bookshelf Size: 506
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-seeker19.html
Latest Review: "Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)" by Janet McNulty

Post by seeker19 »

OMG, Doctor Who is life! I'm anxiously waiting for the next season to come out. My favourite doctors are 10 and 11, and Donna was so amazing!

Anyways...

Another immortal I loved was Magnus Bane from Cassandra Clare's The Mortal Instruments. I really enjoyed the way he was written as a character with so much history and pain. Another awesome character is Castiel from Supernatural (he's immortal, right?), and I also fell in love with Raffe from Penryn and the End of Days. (I think I have a thing for angels lol).
Latest Review: "Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)" by Janet McNulty
Mannie913
Currently Reading: Sweep Volume 3
Bookshelf Size: 114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mannie913.html
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Mannie913 »

My favorite Immortal character at the present would be Rowan from the Throne of Glass Kingdom by Sarah J Maas. His character development is beautiful and he has always kept a purpose for himself throughout his time. I also love Magnus Bane from The Mortal Instrument Series and the Infernal Instrument series by Cassandra Clare. He looks a life a little differently and he always tries to help change the world. He does what he can without making too big of a ripple. He constantly helps and doesn't want acknowledgement for what all he does.
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

Peter Pan is definitely the most fun. Was Tinkerbell immortal as well???
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Not immortal but has a very long life and is very difficult to kill, that would be Carlisle Cullen of the Twilight Series. He spends his life helping out and saving other people's lives.
SandraTWP-BRW
Currently Reading: 1491: New Revelations of the Americas Before Columbus
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sandratwp-brw.html
Latest Review: "If God Is Not for Me, Then He Must Be Against Me!" by DeShaun Johnson
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by SandraTWP-BRW »

Some great characters mentioned here. Normally, I'd've picked the Doctor, also. However, lately my kids have been on a STNG binge, and recenltly, I've really developed an admiration for Data. An episode they were watching yesterday, I was really struck with his kindness, sensitivity, and willingness to self-sacrifice.
Latest Review: "If God Is Not for Me, Then He Must Be Against Me!" by DeShaun Johnson
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

psychopathycathy wrote:My mind goes back to Jesse from Tuck Everlasting who I LOVED. The book was one of my favorites and still is to this day!
Ah...this is a good one too. I love the Tuck family. In fact, this is a book that I've read a number of times. So, I guess, on top of Peter Pan, I would say Jesse (and his family) are also good ones. :)
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
ezramoon
Currently Reading: Introducing Eastern Philosophy
Bookshelf Size: 605
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ezramoon.html
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E Tavel, MD
Reading Device: B00O2CKQPQ

Post by ezramoon »

Do vampires count? I know that they can be killed but it's pretty difficult. I adore Godfrey from the Southern Vampire Mysteries (if you watched True Blood, the series based of the books you will know him as Godric). I adored his back story and wished he had his own book series. I thought he was one of the most complex characters in the series.

Whilst I'm on the topic of vampires, teenage me also loved Angel from Buffy the Vampire slayer as well.
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E Tavel, MD
breyfoglese
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-breyfoglese.html
Latest Review: "The Time Stone" by Jeffrey Estrella

Post by breyfoglese »

ezramoon wrote: Whilst I'm on the topic of vampires, teenage me also loved Angel from Buffy the Vampire slayer as well.
I was wondering when people would bring up Buffy. I honestly just watched it a few years back (I'm sorry, I'm a young one), but I have to say that I loved Spike more. Less brooding, more trashy liquor and ramen hair. I'm not saying he's my classiest fave, but I do love him.
Latest Review: "The Time Stone" by Jeffrey Estrella
noethe5
Currently Reading: The Diary Of An Immortal (1945-1959)
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-noethe5.html
Latest Review: The Devil's template by Philip Omoniyi Adetiloye

Post by noethe5 »

I love the creature/monster created by Victor Frankenstein in Mary Shelley's Frankenstein. He is so deeply tragic and pained as a prisoner of his very existence that you can't help but feel for him. He is nameless; abandoned by his father/creator; wanting of love and repeatedly rejected; furious in the betrayals he has endured; and really, a caracature for humanity in that he is so exaggerated in his human characteristics. I love this quote:

"Accursed creator! Why did you form a monster so hideous that even you turned from me in disgust? God, in pity, made man beautiful and alluring, after his own image; but my form is a filthy type of yours, more horrid even from the very resemblance. Satan had his companions, fellow devils, to admire and encourage him, but I am solitary and abhorred."

How can you not feel that pain?
Jane12
Currently Reading: The Name of the Wind
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jane12.html
Latest Review: "Yesterday" by Samyann

Post by Jane12 »

The first immortal with whom I fell in love is Legolas from the Lord of the Rings. There is just something so serene and mystical about him. I love most of the elves, to speak the truth. A very close second is Glorfindel from the Silmarillion - his prowess in battle, dying fighting a balrog - legendary.
And Lúthien is just the most kick-ass elf lady ever. Marrying a mortal, flowers growing under her feet as she walks, escaping by using her hair, taking on Melkor in his lair.... yeah, I think I want to be Lúthien.

After Tolkien's elves I discovered the Marvel cinematic Universe. I am still trying to figure out which brother I love more: Thor or Loki.
Wolverine from X-men is also a favourite - I cannot wait to see Logan! And mystique - another morally ambiguous, probably bad but super-awesome meta-human.

And my most recent immortal crush: Rhysand, High Lord of the Night Court in the "A Court of Thorns and Roses" trilogy by Sarah J Maas. I love his dangerous/bad persona in the first book and how one gets to know him better in the second. I can physically not wait for "A Court of Wings and Ruin" that comes out later this year. I do not think I have ever been as book hungover as I was after "A Court of Mist and Fury".

Lastly, I feel my list would not be complete without Tom Riddle/Lord Voldemort. Even though he is not immortal per se, that was his objective, without which we would not have the Harry Potter series. And though he is not my favourite character, I am intrigued by what drove him and where everything went wrong. (I guess I just wanted an excuse to mention Harry Potter).

<3
Latest Review: "Yesterday" by Samyann
michelonline29
Favorite Book: The Eurasians
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelonline29.html
Latest Review: Demon Heart by David Crane

Post by michelonline29 »

Ever since I read The Twilight Saga, I've always loved Edward Cullen. Apart from being handsome and strong, I admire his devotion towards Bella. He fights for what he believes is right.

Return to “Discuss "The Diary of an Immortal (1945-1959)" by David J Castello”