Favorite fictional Immortal character

Discuss the February 2017 Book of the Month, The Diary of an Immortal by David J Castello.
Julie Ditton
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 031">Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, Parts 1 & 2</a>
Currently Reading: The Bone Collection
Bookshelf Size: 790
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-ditton.html
Latest Review: "Nightlord: Sunset" by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Favorite fictional Immortal character

Post by Julie Ditton »

There have been lots of immortal characters through the years. They populate our culture from mythology and literature to tv and movies. Who is your favorite immortal character?

My favorite is The Doctor from BBC's Dr Who , a show that at over 50 is practically immortal, itself.
(Tecnically speaking, my favorites are the 4th and 11th regenerations played by Tom Baker and Matt Smith.) This show is great Science Fiction Adventure.

I also loved Henry on the recent short lived TV series Forever. This show combined a touch of fantasy with Crime Drama.

Both shows touch the issues of surviving loved ones and having an immortal foe. Forever also talks about having to change one's identity.
"Oh honestly, don't you two read?"

-Hermione Granger in Harry Potter and the Sorcerer 's Stone
by J.K. Rowling
bluegreenmarina
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =6703">The Count of Monte Cristo</a>
Currently Reading: Drive Your Plow Over The Bones Of The Dead
Bookshelf Size: 1230
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluegreenmarina.html
Latest Review: Spontaneous Addiction Recovery by Dr. James Slobodzien

Post by bluegreenmarina »

The first one that came to my mind was the vampire Lestat from Anne Rice's Vampire Chronicles. He was an incredibly rich and multifaceted character. I just ate all those books up!
Wasif Ahmed
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Currently Reading: The Face of Fear
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wasif-ahmed.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00THRCA6E
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Wasif Ahmed »

Julie Ditton wrote:There have been lots of immortal characters through the years. They populate our culture from mythology and literature to tv and movies. Who is your favorite immortal character?

My favorite is The Doctor from BBC's Dr Who , a show that at over 50 is practically immortal, itself.
(Tecnically speaking, my favorites are the 4th and 11th regenerations played by Tom Baker and Matt Smith.) This show is great Science Fiction Adventure.

I also loved Henry on the recent short lived TV series Forever. This show combined a touch of fantasy with Crime Drama.

Both shows touch the issues of surviving loved ones and having an immortal foe. Forever also talks about having to change one's identity.
The immortal character that came to my mind was the 'good' titan from Heroes of Olympus, The House of Hades.
When people say you've changed, it just means that you have stopped living your life, their way.
CataclysmicKnight
Favorite Book: Ready Player One
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1693
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cataclysmicknight.html
Latest Review: Simple Man Simple Message by Mark Dobosz

Post by CataclysmicKnight »

It's really lame I'm having trouble coming up with many cool immortal people! Wolverine from X-Men is a good one, and especially with his stand-alone movies it was made clear that immortality isn't necessarily a blessing. Damon from Vampire Diaries is another good example of someone who didn't even want immortality and hasn't always been the best of people/vampires...
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
srm628
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-srm628.html
Latest Review: The Ultimate Guide For The Avid Indoorsman by John Driver

Post by srm628 »

I like Me from Doctor Who and Jenson from the Librarians.

And just because I'm an avid Doctor Who fan, I feel the need to mention the Doctor isn't actually immortal. He can die. He just has a longer lifespan and it takes a lot to kill him. He only has so many regenerations.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

My favorite is Peter Pan!!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
dhwanis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dhwanis.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by dhwanis »

I really do not have a favourite immortal character anymore..there was a time long LONG ago I had a crush on Edward Cullins..for a brief period of time.
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

ceruleanblue87 wrote:The first one that came to my mind was the vampire Lestat from Anne Rice's Vampire Chronicles. He was an incredibly rich and multifaceted character. I just ate all those books up!
Me too!!!!!
There are not enough words to explain his awesomeness 8)
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
MarisaRose
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris

Post by MarisaRose »

I always loved Oscar Wilde's Dorian Gray. I think Dorian was such a well crafted character because you could really get a sense of the price of immortality.
greenstripedgiraffe
Currently Reading: The New Strong-Willed Child
Bookshelf Size: 274
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greenstripedgiraffe.html
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris

Post by greenstripedgiraffe »

I've never really cared for any of the immortals I've met through literature. Now, some of the people who have just lived a really really really long time have been cool. Like Gandalf and all the elves. But the ones who were really immortal - not so much.
"no one down here" --- Up the Down Staircase
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris
Julie Ditton
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 031">Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, Parts 1 & 2</a>
Currently Reading: The Bone Collection
Bookshelf Size: 790
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-ditton.html
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by Julie Ditton »

srm628 wrote:I like Me from Doctor Who and Jenson from the Librarians.

And just because I'm an avid Doctor Who fan, I feel the need to mention the Doctor isn't actually immortal. He can die. He just has a longer lifespan and it takes a lot to kill him. He only has so many regenerations.

Yes, I realize that Time Lord aren't technically immortal. But for the purposes of this discussion, I figure anyone who can regenerate after death for 12 times should count.

By the way, I remember seeing an "Immortal" that was actually Davinchi as well as other famous people. Was that Me or someone from STNG Q continuum?
"Oh honestly, don't you two read?"

-Hermione Granger in Harry Potter and the Sorcerer 's Stone
by J.K. Rowling
MarisaRose
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris

Post by MarisaRose »

CataclysmicKnight wrote:It's really lame I'm having trouble coming up with many cool immortal people! Wolverine from X-Men is a good one, and especially with his stand-alone movies it was made clear that immortality isn't necessarily a blessing. Damon from Vampire Diaries is another good example of someone who didn't even want immortality and hasn't always been the best of people/vampires...
I didn't even think of Wolverine! Good one :) He is also one of my favorite characters and I liked the backstory the stand-alone movies provide as well - I think you make a good point that the movies clearly depict that immortality isn't always a good thing. The movies particularly showcase how lonely immortality can be.
Wasif Ahmed
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Currently Reading: The Face of Fear
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wasif-ahmed.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00THRCA6E
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Wasif Ahmed »

Gravy wrote:
ceruleanblue87 wrote:The first one that came to my mind was the vampire Lestat from Anne Rice's Vampire Chronicles. He was an incredibly rich and multifaceted character. I just ate all those books up!
Me too!!!!!
There are not enough words to explain his awesomeness 8)
Oh yeah! I forgot about Lestat. Even though I didn't enjoy this series at first, I later went on to love them.
When people say you've changed, it just means that you have stopped living your life, their way.
Guppy
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-guppy.html
Latest Review: "Aftermath" by Gary Gaudin

Post by Guppy »

My favourites are Anne Rice's Lestat and Dr Who. I think of the regeneration as another way of achieving immortality, though the further I get into the TV show I do wonder whether or not Dr Who will live forever.
Latest Review: "Aftermath" by Gary Gaudin
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

gali wrote:My favorite is Peter Pan!!
I was trying to think of a good one, and I think I'm going to agree with gali. Peter Pan is awesome! :D
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown

Return to “Discuss "The Diary of an Immortal (1945-1959)" by David J Castello”