Is immortality a good or a bad thing?

Discuss the February 2017 Book of the Month, The Diary of an Immortal by David J Castello.
Wasif Ahmed
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Currently Reading: The Face of Fear
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wasif-ahmed.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00THRCA6E
fav_author_id: 1778

Is immortality a good or a bad thing?

Post by Wasif Ahmed »

The posts on this forum show that many people would like to become immortal while some don't. Is immortality, according to you, a good or a bad thing?
Please share your thoughts on this topic.
When people say you've changed, it just means that you have stopped living your life, their way.
Sindhu Srinath
Currently Reading: Last Dance
Bookshelf Size: 272
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sindhu-srinath.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill
Reading Device: B06Y66GMC5

Post by Sindhu Srinath »

This is a hard question for me to answer. Many might know the story the Goddess Eos asking for immortality for her lover, Tithonus, but forgot to ask for eternal youth from Zeus. Because of this, Tithonus became older and older and couldn't die. So, is eternal youth more important than immortality? But, sometimes I feel that we need to experience lifestyles of all age groups. Yes, immortality is a fascinating thing to wish for, but I'm sure it'll come with a price.
papaya12
Currently Reading: Insurgent
Bookshelf Size: 72
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-papaya12.html
Latest Review: Protostar by Braxton A. Cosby
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by papaya12 »

I think that immortality is an idea that sounds cool but in reality isn't. But this depends on whether you are the only immortal person in the world. If everyone was immortal I think it would be great.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

I think it depends on a few things.
  • 1) The type of person (greedy vs. kind)
    2) How will it affect our environment? Will Earth become overpopulated if many were given the choice? (not enough resources)
    3) Quality of life for those who are not mentally stable and others.
    4) Religion - people were not created to live forever on Earth.
Very challenging question indeed. :eusa-think:
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Wasif Ahmed

Post by Wasif Ahmed »

hsimone wrote:I think it depends on a few things.
  • 1) The type of person (greedy vs. kind)
    2) How will it affect our environment? Will Earth become overpopulated if many were given the choice? (not enough resources)
    3) Quality of life for those who are not mentally stable and others.
    4) Religion - people were not created to live forever on Earth.
Very challenging question indeed. :eusa-think:
Thanks @hsimone. ?
When people say you've changed, it just means that you have stopped living your life, their way.
Julie Ditton
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 031">Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, Parts 1 & 2</a>
Currently Reading: The Bone Collection
Bookshelf Size: 790
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-ditton.html
Latest Review: "Nightlord: Sunset" by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by Julie Ditton »

Swara Sangeet wrote:This is a hard question for me to answer. Many might know the story the Goddess Eos asking for immortality for her lover, Tithonus, but forgot to ask for eternal youth from Zeus. Because of this, Tithonus became older and older and couldn't die. So, is eternal youth more important than immortality? But, sometimes I feel that we need to experience lifestyles of all age groups. Yes, immortality is a fascinating thing to wish for, but I'm sure it'll come with a price.

To quote Rumple/Gold in Once Upon a Time,
All magic comes with a price.
Would the price be eternal old age, outliving your loved ones or maybe just boredom. All of life would be "Been there, done that. "

For each immortal bad guy, there would probably be an immortal good guy to balance things out. At least there usually is in literature and media.
"Oh honestly, don't you two read?"

-Hermione Granger in Harry Potter and the Sorcerer 's Stone
by J.K. Rowling
Latest Review: "Nightlord: Sunset" by Garon Whited
The Researcher
Currently Reading: Buried Threads
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-researcher.html
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by The Researcher »

It totally depends on the kind of person one is. Suppose a person is very emphatic and a healer and does not mind living eternally and also in a kind of solitude which comes when one has seen eons while other just running through years that it is a good thing as the person can learn on many human life cycles and can incorporate the knowledge ob betterment of future races of homosapiens. This also holds true for true saints who are detached from the world and learn from observation and exploration. But for someone who is in love with life for its variety, the love that comes from strong attachments and need stability in form of relations it might not be good.
What is the most special thing I did today- I was MYSELF. Happy and in love and unapologetically myself.
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

As others said, it depends on the character of the person and the quality of life.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Annelore Trujillo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 169
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annelore-trujillo.html
Latest Review: NOAH by Naazir Aram Musa

Post by Annelore Trujillo »

I personally think immorality is a bad thing. We aren't meant to be immortal. I know I personally would not want to be. I think as humans we have a fear of dying, so immortality seems like a better option. In most religions (not sure who all is religious) we actually are immortal in a sense. Our bodies don't live forever, but our spirits do. So in a spiritual sense I think it's good, but I wouldn't want to stay living on earth forever.

Sorry for such a long-winded answer!
Sarah_Khan
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3700">Gone With the Wind</a>
Currently Reading: Circe
Bookshelf Size: 336
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-khan.html
Latest Review: The Formidable King by Alyssa J. Montgomery

Post by Sarah_Khan »

As many have said before, I think it depends on many things. Personally, I think people who do not believe in an afterlife would be drawn towards a life of immortality more so than a person whose thoughts or beliefs make them acknowledge a life after this life.
But also, someone who is religious and believes in an afterlife could be attracted to the thought of immortality because then they do not need to go through any judgement.
Either way, there are pros and cons. :P
Wasif Ahmed

Post by Wasif Ahmed »

anneloretrujillo wrote:I personally think immorality is a bad thing. We aren't meant to be immortal. I know I personally would not want to be. I think as humans we have a fear of dying, so immortality seems like a better option. In most religions (not sure who all is religious) we actually are immortal in a sense. Our bodies don't live forever, but our spirits do. So in a spiritual sense I think it's good, but I wouldn't want to stay living on earth forever.

Sorry for such a long-winded answer!
I totally agree with you. ? Thanks for sharing your views with us.
srm628
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-srm628.html
Latest Review: The Ultimate Guide For The Avid Indoorsman by John Driver

Post by srm628 »

I think it is a bad thing. Regardless of the good things you could do, you would be alone for so long, as you would stop trying to get close to people, knowing that they will just die.
dhwanis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dhwanis.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by dhwanis »

I feel it is good....as long as everyone around you is immortal as well....if that is not the case...then I feel it is bad as what is the point of living a life seeing everyone you love leave the planet..
greenstripedgiraffe
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The New Strong-Willed Child
Bookshelf Size: 274
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greenstripedgiraffe.html
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris

Post by greenstripedgiraffe »

I feel that God has put eternity into our hearts. God is eternal, immortal, and we are made in His image. However, due to wickedness in the world, God has limited our life spans - But, we still all have that yearning for immortality. So, we come up with immortality stories, legends, myths, what have you. Vampires, zombies, serums - it's all part of this search for immortality. As with anything like that, though- there are goods and bads.
"no one down here" --- Up the Down Staircase
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris
Wasif Ahmed

Post by Wasif Ahmed »

dhwanis wrote:I feel it is good....as long as everyone around you is immortal as well....if that is not the case...then I feel it is bad as what is the point of living a life seeing everyone you love leave the planet..
If everyone becomes immortal, won't the earth become too overcrowded in just a couple of years?

Return to “Discuss "The Diary of an Immortal (1945-1959)" by David J Castello”