Is immortality a good or a bad thing?

Discuss the February 2017 Book of the Month, The Diary of an Immortal by David J Castello.
greenstripedgiraffe
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The New Strong-Willed Child
Bookshelf Size: 274
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greenstripedgiraffe.html
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris

Re: Is immortality a good or a bad thing?

Post by greenstripedgiraffe »

Wasif Ahmed wrote:
dhwanis wrote:I feel it is good....as long as everyone around you is immortal as well....if that is not the case...then I feel it is bad as what is the point of living a life seeing everyone you love leave the planet..
If everyone becomes immortal, won't the earth become too overcrowded in just a couple of years?
immortality all right with forced sterilization? (please read the tongue in cheek!! :P :o :doh: )
"no one down here" --- Up the Down Staircase
Vickyoreo86
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =118626">A Court of Wings and Ruin</a>
Currently Reading: The Sword of Shannara
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vickyoreo86.html
Latest Review: Cover Your Tracks, Leona Leitman by C. S. Johnson

Post by Vickyoreo86 »

I think this might sound bad but if someone offered me the chance to have an immortal life, I would accept it (with the reasoning that I am still able to die, for example, in a fatal accident that can happen in everyday life) My reason for taking it, is because I am personally too curious about the world, other countries, people, what might happen after my lifetime....the future is something I want to see. I would like to know what it is like to live many lifestyles, learn cultures, travel, read everything, learn everything. I feel in a normal lifetime there isn't much time to do this. We barely have time to work, eat and enjoy our families and an odd holiday, unless you are lucky in your money situations.

There are disadvantages; loneliness, watching loved ones pass away, love and much more. Hence the reason I would still want to die. Maybe I am a little naive in my thinking but I often think about how much I want to do and how it would take me several lifetimes to do it. (I would want to be chosen for immortality before I am too old though :P)
“We make choices everyday, some of them good, some of them bad. And - if we are strong enough - we live with the consequences.”
― David Gemmell
MarisaRose
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MarisaRose »

I think this is an interesting topic! I do not think immortality is a good thing, I think it takes away a lot of what makes us human. The ability to live forever would make one jaded and feel superior to others. Personally, I would not want to be immortal!
greenstripedgiraffe
Currently Reading: The New Strong-Willed Child
Bookshelf Size: 274
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greenstripedgiraffe.html

Post by greenstripedgiraffe »

MarisaRose wrote:I think this is an interesting topic! I do not think immortality is a good thing, I think it takes away a lot of what makes us human. The ability to live forever would make one jaded and feel superior to others. Personally, I would not want to be immortal!
Immortality would take away part of what makes us human. The only real immortal would be god-like.
"no one down here" --- Up the Down Staircase
Tommie H Odom
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 1960">Sade Evans</a>
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tommie-h-odom.html

Post by Tommie H Odom »

I believe that it depends on the individual. Some people want to be immortal and others don't. There are consequences that come along with this territory. You may want to die and can't. Then you have to live with your choice forever. You could be very old but young in nature.
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

I believe it depends on the person and their capability to cope with immortality. I also think it depends on how it would effect them.
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
psychopathycathy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1344
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-psychopathycathy.html
Latest Review: Notes of Sorrow Songs Of Joy by Robert Lauri

Post by psychopathycathy »

I would say bad. Maybe I'm just cynical, but the whole idea of being human is that you have a limited time to decide who you want to be and how you want to change the world. If you get rid of that sense of urgency, the point of living life to the fullest and WANTING to learn more becomes meaningless.
Wasif Ahmed
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Currently Reading: The Face of Fear
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wasif-ahmed.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00THRCA6E
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Wasif Ahmed »

psychopathycathy wrote:I would say bad. Maybe I'm just cynical, but the whole idea of being human is that you have a limited time to decide who you want to be and how you want to change the world. If you get rid of that sense of urgency, the point of living life to the fullest and WANTING to learn more becomes meaningless.
Exactly! Thanks for sharing your views with us. ?
When people say you've changed, it just means that you have stopped living your life, their way.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Wasif Ahmed wrote:
dhwanis wrote:I feel it is good....as long as everyone around you is immortal as well....if that is not the case...then I feel it is bad as what is the point of living a life seeing everyone you love leave the planet..
If everyone becomes immortal, won't the earth become too overcrowded in just a couple of years?
I agree with this. I can't even imagine how long natural resources would be around for if no one passed away. Unless, we don't re-populate the Earth, but how's that fun? Children are one of the best aspects of life.

So maybe it is a bad thing... :eusa-think:
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
mratdegraff91
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 433
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mratdegraff91.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin
Reading Device: B018SZT3BK

Post by mratdegraff91 »

As most of you have agreed there are a lot of things to consider. I feel that there could be benefits to certain individuals with the desire to better the world but not those considering doing so through evil ways. I myself would not choose it because I do not desire to watch all of my loved ones disappear around such as Steven did in the novel.
Madison Degraffenreid
Lest92
Currently Reading: Oil and Marble
Bookshelf Size: 199
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lest92.html
Latest Review: The Everywhere Spirit by Nicholas Applin

Post by Lest92 »

I don't think it's a good thing. Some things about immortality are tempting, such as the opportunity to do, learn and experience everything people don't have the time to fit into their one lifetime. But I can imagine immortality backfiring for people who are poor and oppressed - they'd have to spend an eternity working like slaves, and that sounds like hell.
jhmende
Currently Reading: The Bible
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jhmende.html
Latest Review: "Blowing Sandstorm" by Horace Crenshaw, Jr.

Post by jhmende »

If we're talking about immortality, I should mention the elves of Tolkien's universe. When Eru Iluvatar created the two Children (the two races of elves and men), he gifted the elves with grace, wisdom, and beauty. To the humans, though, he gave two gifts: the ability to change their fate, and 'the gift of Death.' That's right. From Tolkien's point of view, dying was a gift.
Latest Review: "Blowing Sandstorm" by Horace Crenshaw, Jr.
TangledinText
Currently Reading: The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookfix-blog.html
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks

Post by TangledinText »

Bad. I would get so tired with life and you'd have to experience the same mistakes huminaty makes decade after decade.

-- Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:51 pm --

Bad. I want to live then let to peace, not have to keep reliving the same life over generations. You wouldn't appreciate people as much if you were never to lose them.
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
Atomixx Blends
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Atomixx Blends »

bad....bad...
seeker19
Currently Reading: The Trials of Apollo
Bookshelf Size: 506
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-seeker19.html
Latest Review: "Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)" by Janet McNulty

Post by seeker19 »

The Researcher wrote:It totally depends on the kind of person one is. Suppose a person is very emphatic and a healer and does not mind living eternally and also in a kind of solitude which comes when one has seen eons while other just running through years that it is a good thing as the person can learn on many human life cycles and can incorporate the knowledge ob betterment of future races of homosapiens. This also holds true for true saints who are detached from the world and learn from observation and exploration. But for someone who is in love with life for its variety, the love that comes from strong attachments and need stability in form of relations it might not be good.
This is a very good point! But don't you think that for one that is immortal, their personalities would evolve over the years they live. In our human lives, a person may enjoy solitude and observation and therefore choose to be immortal. But, as they go through thousands of years, the may come to crave human interaction and connection. That's why I don't think personality would make an impact on the benefit or disadvantage of immortality. Someone may choose immortality now thinking it is amazing, but I think everyone would come to regret it as their lives go on and on and on without any family or purpose.

I think immortality, at the end of the day, is bad because we wouldn't be able to appreciate our lives as they are, it would just be an endless nothing. And eventually, you would not want to form meaningful connections for fear of losing them (like Magnus Bane from the mortal instruments).

As for the option of everyone being immortal as people have stated previously, aside from the obvious overpopulation problems, there wouldn't be any new innovation or development. I think a core part of what makes us human, and what drives us to continuously create, innovate, and live our lives is the fact that we have a limited amount of time and want to make as large an impact as possible within that limited time frame. By removing the time frame, innovation might still occur, but it would be much much slower.
Latest Review: "Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)" by Janet McNulty

Return to “Discuss "The Diary of an Immortal (1945-1959)" by David J Castello”