Is immortality a good or a bad thing?

Discuss the February 2017 Book of the Month, The Diary of an Immortal by David J Castello.
constantine265
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-constantine265.html
Latest Review: "(Ways to) Lucena" by Mois Benarroch

Re: Is immortality a good or a bad thing?

Post by constantine265 »

Well, it depends what is considered to be a man, for me it is consciousness and body is just a shell we leave behind us, which is also not destroyed but recycled in the nature (point of cemeteries and cremazions.) Death is the end of this body in his current form, being mortal would mean end of everything. I see your point but there are two ideas represented by the same word death, one meaning the leaving of the body and other is much more final.
1denarius
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by 1denarius »

well death is the penalty for sin, it was never a part of creation. Death was added, and no part of man is immortal at the present time, even though the teaching is: that man has an immortal soul and this is where the error is. The truth is, that man total composite being is a soul (nepes the Hebrew word for soul). In the creation of man, He was complete,and yet still not alive until he received the "breath" of life (ruah in Hebrew). If man had an immortal soul, then he would not require the air we breathe to sustain life. Being that man has not obtain immortality, when the last breath or spirit (wind or air) is breathe, then the cessation of life begin. Will man one day be immortal? Of course! The crazy part about this is the whole human race will be immortal in the next aion (age).
constantine265

Post by constantine265 »

I have a diferent view (but I don't say yours is wrong), in my oppinion death is a sin itself, not a penalty for a sin. The creator does not punish us, he's good, we do it to ourselves by forgeting. Lets take the opening sentence of the bible for example "In the begining there was word" Only in first Greek translations word was writen as logos and logos have hundreds of meanings two of them are the mind and the one. So we all come from the mind (conciousnes) of the creator and since it was the only one in the begining and there wasn't anything else to create us from we are all part of that mind and created from the same mind. The big bang theory speaks about universe coming from the single point in which all energy was concentrated (wrongly interpreted that the universe came from emptiness, total emptiness is unprovable.) And mater is also form of energy, which can never be destroyed, it just changes its state.We (and everything around us, including air) are all parts of Jung's collective unconcious or bible's God, and since it was always here and always will be, so we will. We are the one soul choosing to take diferent paths which we call life (similar to streams of water, moving on any surface), and death is just a return to the source. No part of man can be destroyed, including body, since it is also part of the same mind. We only change our state.
1denarius

Post by 1denarius »

well, the big theory in short states that explosions create, think about how self defeating this is. i'm going to use a very common sense approach to the big bang theory. if explosion create, then why didn't two new twin towers appear,after the original ones exploded? umm, I understand the philosophy, but in truth, it makes no damn sense in reality. In the resurrection we'll see who's lying,and who's telling the truth. when you so-call change states ( which I termed as being death), let me see you continue to post on this site in your new state. How many family members have you communicated with after they have changed states (which I Call death)? 0
constantine265

Post by constantine265 »

Well, explosions are just moving and division done at larger speeds then we perceive to be normal. And energy itself is just a vawe, being a vawe it has frequency at which it operates and it's hard to comunicate our usual way (using words) while being on a different frequency. But, there are other, more powerfull means of comunication like through our emotions which don't stop after death. Explosions and creation do have at least one common factor - the change, so twin towers couldn't really reapear, but none of the material they were build from was really destroyed, it just got rearanged/changed states.
cherlyn
Currently Reading: Making Her His
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by cherlyn »

Immortality can be good or bad. You will be able to stay young and carefree, and spend more time doing things you wished to do, thus not having regrets. However, It wouldn't be nice to see everybody leave before you.
Arvind Passey
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Arvind Passey »

Immortality with your physical body intact does sound a bit scary because unless your spouse, friends, and relatives are also immortal, one may find life getting chock full of a form of solitude that spans ages and eras.
va2016
Favorite Book: The Vatican Protocol
Currently Reading: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance
Bookshelf Size: 716
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-va2016.html
Latest Review: The Mystery of the Hidden Cabin by M.E. Hembroff

Post by va2016 »

Wasif Ahmed wrote:The posts on this forum show that many people would like to become immortal while some don't. Is immortality, according to you, a good or a bad thing?
Please share your thoughts on this topic.
To me, immortality has a purpose only when one has a purpose
on why to live forever.

Forget about living forever, many of us do not have a plan for
next Saturday! If we don't have a vision, a plan, of what we
are going to accomplish for such a long time, soon we will get
terribly bored, and regret our choice to live forever.

One or two centuries down the line, we would see the society
and world at large change drastically change in front of our eyes.
We would face circumstances that will make us think 'why the
heck I decided to live forever!'. That would not be a day we
would like to live and see.

More than anything, our physical body and our energy system (our life)
has to be maintained day in and day out throughout. We have
to do so many things to preserve the physical body so that it
does not deteriorate. I don't think any magic potion would do
that. We will have to do that hard work!

So, let's consider all these, and get real :-P
kashif faridi

Post by kashif faridi »

Laws of Nature are well defined. If it was in the interest of humans, The Creator would not have created DEATH nor Created the Universe as the spirit for struggle, growth and progress would hold no meaning where there was to be no end. All good things must come to an end otherwise the charm, mystique and charisma would be lost.
hailvilla18
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hailvilla18.html
Latest Review: "Loving Marie" by Dawn Reno Langley

Post by hailvilla18 »

Immortality has its advantages and disadvantages. However, I think the drawbacks outweigh its good effects. For instance, immortality would be a bad thing if you are the only immortal being in the world. You will only suffer as you see your loved ones leave this world.
Latest Review: "Loving Marie" by Dawn Reno Langley
Scerakor
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 315
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scerakor.html
Latest Review: Gaslighting & Narcissistic Abuse Recovery: by Don Barlow

Post by Scerakor »

I don't think that the question can be answered the way it is worded; immortality can neither be good nor evil. It is what is done with immortality that changes. When contemplating all of this, I think of Norse mythology. The fact that the gods are immortal isn't a good or a bad thing, it is the actions, shenanigans, and positive things they do with their powers and immortality.
Jann Jumonong
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 51575">The girl with a dragon tattoo</a>
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jann-jumonong.html

Post by Jann Jumonong »

I'm afraid to say that it's against of the nature's will, so better be mortal rather than immortal in my own perspective.
Oracle River

Post by Oracle River »

it is never mistake i guess if you choose to be immortal. we have love ones that we still need to guide on. and we don't want to stop to do good things for them.
Toria Mason
Currently Reading: Thirteen Reasons Why
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-toria-mason.html
Latest Review: "The Last Valentine" by Felix Alexander

Post by Toria Mason »

I don't think immortality in and of itself can be either good nor bad. I think it all depends on the individual people and circumstances and what they choose to do with their immortality.
Latest Review: "The Last Valentine" by Felix Alexander
Aimy
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aimy.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by Aimy »

Wasif Ahmed wrote:The posts on this forum show that many people would like to become immortal while some don't. Is immortality, according to you, a good or a bad thing?
Please share your thoughts on this topic.
It's a good thing if everything is good. On the contrary, in this world, there are many things which can make you want to die.
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Return to “Discuss "The Diary of an Immortal (1945-1959)" by David J Castello”