Forum Navigation: Forum Index » Book of the Month » Book of the month » Discuss "The Diary of an Immortal (1945-1959)" by David J Castello

Want FREE books and FREE Amazon gift cards?

Each day we announce via email a book that is either FREE or on a temporary sale at a great discount price. These are not your average free books. These are incredible insider deals on well-rated books. OnlineBookClub.org is where tomorrow's bestsellers are born. We also give away over $1,000 per month of free Amazon gift cards in free daily giveaways, exclusively to those signed up to these announcements! Hurry, sign up free now:

Sorry, this proves you are human.

Is immortality a good or a bad thing?

Discuss the February 2017 Book of the Month, The Diary of an Immortal by David J Castello.

Re: Is immortality a good or a bad thing?

Post Number:#76 by Aimy
» 17 Mar 2017, 06:54

Wasif Ahmed wrote:The posts on this forum show that many people would like to become immortal while some don't. Is immortality, according to you, a good or a bad thing?
Please share your thoughts on this topic.

It's a good thing if everything is good. On the contrary, in this world, there are many things which can make you want to die.
Aimy

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 0 Books
Goal Completion: 0%

Did you know?

Once you join the forums and log in you will get to enjoy a very ad-reduced experience. It's easy and completely free!

Post Number:#77 by Lincoln
» 17 Mar 2017, 07:20

Wasif Ahmed wrote:The posts on this forum show that many people would like to become immortal while some don't. Is immortality, according to you, a good or a bad thing?
Please share your thoughts on this topic.

I think it would be a strange thing considering it goes so firmly against every other facet of human life. It would change everything, and not for the better. But that doesn't make it inherently bad.
Lincoln's book, Raven's Peak is the OnlineBookClub.org April 2017 Book of the Month.

View Raven's Peak on Lincoln's website.

View Raven's Peak on Bookshelves
Publishing Contest ~ 9 Votes ~ View Lincoln's Entry
Lincoln

Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: Kids Kids Kids
Bookshelf Size: 34 books

Post Number:#78 by Sarah G
» 21 Mar 2017, 13:29

I think i would be good at first but the lack of change I think would eventually ruin it. I think it would also depend on how it was used. Maybe with all that life experience you could help other people. I definitely think it would depend on who you spent the time with.
The purpose of a storyteller is not to tell you how to think, but to give you questions to think upon
Sarah G

Favorite Author: Brandon Sanderson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 74 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 50 Books
Goal Completion: 2%

Post Number:#79 by Jeyran Main
» 23 Mar 2017, 08:50

Good or bad, does not seem to be the most important question, however, if I were to pick, I would say not a really good thing.

It is the fear of dying that makes us wish to live forever. Otherwise, the next chapter of life is actually better than the world we currently live in.
Jeyran Main

Currently Reading: Vacation To Graceland
Bookshelf Size: 121 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 50 Books
Goal Completion: 186%

Post Number:#80 by Rebeccaej
» 23 Mar 2017, 15:42

The idea of immortality is terrifying to me. At some point, the planet is going to be destroyed--and you'll still be alive, floating in space, suffocating eternally. At some point, the universe will spread into cold, uniform dust. Plus you.

Ot maybe once that happened you'd become the most massive thing in your region for a while and dust would start settling on you. Eventually, you become trapped in the center of a star.

No thanks.
Rebeccaej's Latest Review: "The Reich Device" by Richard D. Handy
Rebeccaej

Favorite Book: Imago (Xenogenesis Series #3)
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15 books

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#81 by allee88
» 23 Mar 2017, 17:21

On the one hand, can you imagine everything you'd see being immortal? All the places you could go and experience? The people you would meet? At the same time, everyone you'd meet would age and die, you'd eventually see all the sights, experience everything their was to experience...Personally, immortality wouldn't be for me. I have a bucket list to complete "before I die". I feel like relationships would be more strongly built knowing you only have limited time.
allee88

Currently Reading: The Book Thief
Bookshelf Size: 19 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 40 Books
Goal Completion: 32%

Post Number:#82 by Rebeccaej
» 23 Mar 2017, 17:31

allee88 wrote:On the one hand, can you imagine everything you'd see being immortal? All the places you could go and experience? The people you would meet? At the same time, everyone you'd meet would age and die, you'd eventually see all the sights, experience everything their was to experience...Personally, immortality wouldn't be for me. I have a bucket list to complete "before I die". I feel like relationships would be more strongly built knowing you only have limited time.

I actually wrote a short story about this. It starts with the character free-falling through the atmosphere of a planet, landing, and commenting that there are a few furry creatures around, but nothing that looks like him.

He models behaviors that guides the creatures evolve into intelligent humanoids, tweaks their cultures to plant behaviors he wants, guides them to develop space-travel and meet other people, and then waits until the entire species dies off, the planet is swallowed by its star when it goes nova. He gets flung out into space and starts the whole thing over again for the kagillionth time.

People REALLY underestimate how long eternity is.
Rebeccaej

Currently Reading:

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#83 by Pilar Guerrero
» 26 Mar 2017, 17:39

I really believe that we create our own realities through our thoughts and beliefs. And from that point of view, I think iimmortality can be as good or as bad as a person's thought are, for that is the reality that they will create.
I think that each one of us is far freer than what we are willing to acknowledge, and many people tend to blame others for what happens to them. That type of person would have an awful eternal life... or maybe this person would have the chance to learn from others and change. Some lessons just need a long time to be learned.
Pilar Guerrero's Latest Review: "Lady Ruth Bromfield" by Gordon Smith
Pilar Guerrero

Currently Reading: For the Love of Suzanne
Bookshelf Size: 41 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Kindle Paperwhite

Post Number:#84 by MaricelBaby
» 01 Apr 2017, 00:50

Immortality is a bad thing. Why? In the first place, the earth is a self-sustaining abode and if all of us will become immortal then no one dies. We have to consider and reconsider the posterity who will be supplementing us and continue whatever are the things we have started.
MaricelBaby

Favorite Book: Communist Manifesto
Currently Reading: The Expelled
Bookshelf Size: 11 books

Post Number:#85 by ifeoma obike
» 05 Apr 2017, 22:41

Immortality is not good unless it will only be for the good people, the bad will remain mortal because it will be a living hell for bad people to be immortal as there will be no end to evil and no means of escape.
ifeoma obike

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3 books

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#86 by AlexisFerguson
» 06 Apr 2017, 21:00

It's good if you can maneuver through time like many immortals do in novels. It's glamourous to know that you have all the time in the world to become anything you want to be. Then again, immortality I would say only becomes ambitious and trite people that have no possibility of becoming fickle. Then, I believe, it would just become torture. Never to have an aim to accomplish, getting tired of what the world offers, who could live through that?

Also to live in a world of perpetual evil, there's no fun in that. Thousands of years on earth are nothing compared to a perfect afterlife(if your soul is saved).
AlexisFerguson

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18 books

Post Number:#87 by Lolly_Reader
» 16 Apr 2017, 23:10

For those of you who think that immortality is bad, where does that leave you if you believe in a god? Is the existence of your god then "bad"?
Lolly_Reader

Favorite Book: The Banned Book about Love
Currently Reading: Lost Bastards
Bookshelf Size: 17 books

Post Number:#88 by Rebeccaej
» 17 Apr 2017, 00:15

Lolly_Reader wrote:For those of you who think that immortality is bad, where does that leave you if you believe in a god? Is the existence of your god then "bad"?

The idea of immortality after death never sat fully well with me even when I was Christian. I'm an atheist now, so it's not an issue anymore.
Rebeccaej

Currently Reading:

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#89 by olaiya oluwafemi
» 17 Apr 2017, 10:47

Immortality is good. Is what God promised to us in Bible. An endless life is reserved for people who obey Him. So immortality is a wonderful thing if is given to responsible human beings.
olaiya oluwafemi

Currently Reading: In the shadow of Angels
Bookshelf Size: 28 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 20 Books

Post Number:#90 by csimmons032
» 28 Apr 2017, 14:36

I think it can be either. I believe in immortality in heaven, which I definitely consider to be a good thing, but if a person does not go to heaven, then the other alternative is not so good. If you are considering what it would be like to be immortal on earth than that could go either way as well depending on the person.
csimmons032's Latest Review: "Ironclad Clay part 1" by Mark Wright
csimmons032

Favorite Author: Stephenie Meyer
Favorite Book: Twilight and The Last Song
Currently Reading: Tick Tock Time's Up
Bookshelf Size: 678 books

View Reviewer Page

PreviousNext