What do you think,your'e life will be as an immortal?

Discuss the February 2017 Book of the Month, The Diary of an Immortal by David J Castello.
Afuglsan
Currently Reading: The Masked City
Bookshelf Size: 5445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-afuglsan.html
Latest Review: "STARLESS and Bible Black" by Gerard DiLeo

Re: What do you think,your'e life will be as an immortal?

Post by Afuglsan »

Think of how many books you could read!! Think of how much stuff you could learn!! I'd go to school again, and again, and again. Think of all the skills you could develop, people you could meet, worlds you'd see change. But, then you'd have to watch your friends and family die :(
Latest Review: "STARLESS and Bible Black" by Gerard DiLeo
Excitedreads
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 667">Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows</a>
Currently Reading: Rich Woman
Bookshelf Size: 142
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-excitedreads.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
Reading Device: B00J8DL78O

Post by Excitedreads »

Being immortal could only be rewarding if the ones you love could be immortal as well. Imagine being immortal and seeing those around you that you cherish die? And you have to grieve them all whilst being tied to the earth... i don't know about you, but i'd rather die. The world has only continued to get worse as time has passed, being immortal won't make it any better.
Between the pages of a book is a lovely place to be...
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
Quinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 704
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quinto.html
Latest Review: The Longfellah's Son: An Almost True Irish Story by Michael Cassidy

Post by Quinto »

In our current earthly life, this would be one big torture. Just imagine the insatiable appetite man has,even towards depleting natural resources. At least death brings some sanity to some extent. Just imagine those few 'bad' fellows from your own perspective, living for ever!
Excitedreads
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 667">Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows</a>
Currently Reading: Rich Woman
Bookshelf Size: 142
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-excitedreads.html
Reading Device: B00J8DL78O

Post by Excitedreads »

Quinto wrote:In our current earthly life, this would be one big torture. Just imagine the insatiable appetite man has,even towards depleting natural resources. At least death brings some sanity to some extent. Just imagine those few 'bad' fellows from your own perspective, living for ever!
Couldn't of put it better. Death brings relief from this world's torturous existence
Between the pages of a book is a lovely place to be...
DShore
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dshore.html

Post by DShore »

Quinto wrote:In our current earthly life, this would be one big torture. Just imagine the insatiable appetite man has,even towards depleting natural resources. At least death brings some sanity to some extent. Just imagine those few 'bad' fellows from your own perspective, living for ever!
Totally agree with you on this one! You word it better than I could've. Death brings so much (good and bad) to everyone in the world.
ReyvrexQuestor Reyes
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reyvrexquestor-reyes.html
Latest Review: Journey by Lindsay Schuster
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by ReyvrexQuestor Reyes »

Being immortal may have lots of advantages. For instance, you could make a study of the developments of civilization, having that endless duration of observation time available. Cultures of humanity could be studied as you would cultures of viruses and organisms which have very short lifespans.

Although there was one tragic consequence of immortality told in Mythology, concerning the goddess of the dawn, Aurora. She has asked Zeus to make her mortal husband immortal. The request was granted, but she had not specified to keep her husband from aging. Perhaps, after a few million years, her husband had grown so wrinkled, that in exasperation, she willed him to be transformed to a grasshopper.
"In the beginning was the word.........John 1:1"
...To delineate the times that lovers miss,
...A thousand dreams can't beat a single kiss.

-reyvrex (Love Sonnet 107)
Anjum
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anjum.html
Latest Review: "The Elf Brief" by Jordan David

Post by Anjum »

I think being immortal will just take away all the fun. We set goals and try to achieve them because life is short and we want to do something valuable in our lifetime.
Latest Review: "The Elf Brief" by Jordan David
ReyvrexQuestor Reyes
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading:

Anjum wrote: 03 Dec 2017, 07:27 I think being immortal will just take away all the fun. We set goals and try to achieve them because life is short and we want to do something valuable in our lifetime.
Well said. On the other hand, would you not like to do the same in many other lifetimes? If immortality is handed down without strings attached, then good. Just consider that there are some people who would go to the extent of making a pact with the devil just to become perpetually alive. We see friends and loved ones die even in this very short lifetime. This is an inevitable experience. But you acquire new friends, and love ones again as long as life goes on. All other things considered, is it not great to live indefinitely?

inaramid
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by inaramid »

Being immortal is like never being able to asleep. It will tire anyone out eventually. I remember the maker of the Sorcerer's Stone in the Harry Potter series, and I loved that line about death being the next great adventure. I take that to heart.
Insightsintobooks729
Currently Reading: Meet your soul
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-insightsintobooks729.html
Latest Review: "Discovering My Life's Purpose: From Tragedy to Triumph" by Bridgid Ruden
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Insightsintobooks729 »

I'm not sure. On one hand you could get everything paid off, but I think it would get lonely and sad when everyone you know always dies.
"I cannot live without Books" - Thomas Jefferson
Latest Review: "Discovering My Life's Purpose: From Tragedy to Triumph" by Bridgid Ruden
jvez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jvez.html
Latest Review: The Providence of Fortune by T. K. Love

Post by jvez »

Being immortal will only be fun at the beginning. At one point, I think I'll eventually get tired of it. And when time comes loneliness will probably start kicking in.
ReyvrexQuestor Reyes
Currently Reading:

greenstripedgiraffe wrote: 03 Feb 2017, 09:03 Immortality poses a lot of problems. Everyone you know dies. Everyone you don't know dies. Historically speaking, the world has been progressively worsening as far as evil goes, so more wars = more people dying. Only place it's worth being immortal is Heaven. No more wars, no death, no sorrow, no sickness, etc. On earth here - not so much.
Immortality in Heaven is already a seeming good experience. But think of the thrills when most things are not perfect, when fun is not "railroaded" to a familiar state of bliss all the time. An analogy comes to mind: Would there be more thrills in climbing a mountain manually, or by ascending to the top by means of a helicopter? Immortality in a mortal world or immortality in a place where immortality is just commonplace?

Aceme_ow
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Aceme_ow »

Since am young and energetic.... I think life would be very enjoyable at first since I'd be able to do almost everything whether risky or no but with time things might get repetitive thus mostly end up boring
But then if am the only one who os immortal then those i love keep on coming and going leaving an unbearable pain of loosing someone special

Return to “Discuss "The Diary of an Immortal (1945-1959)" by David J Castello”