Forum Navigation: Forum Index » Book of the Month » Book of the month » Discuss "The Diary of an Immortal (1945-1959)" by David J Castello

Want FREE books and FREE Amazon gift cards?

Each day we announce via email a book that is either FREE or on a temporary sale at a great discount price. These are not your average free books. These are incredible insider deals on well-rated books. OnlineBookClub.org is where tomorrow's bestsellers are born. We also give away over $1,000 per month of free Amazon gift cards in free daily giveaways, exclusively to those signed up to these announcements! Hurry, sign up free now:

Sorry, this proves you are human.

Veterans

Discuss the February 2017 Book of the Month, The Diary of an Immortal by David J Castello.

Veterans

Post Number:#1 by Julie Ditton
» 01 Feb 2017, 18:32

In the book, the protagonist is trying to deal with the horrors of war. Do you feel that the feelings of a war veteran were well portrayed?
"Oh honestly, don't you two read?"

-Hermione Granger in Harry Potter and the Sorcerer 's Stone
by J.K. Rowling
Julie Ditton's Latest Review: "Nightlord: Sunset" by Garon Whited
Julie Ditton

Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, Parts 1 & 2
Currently Reading: The Bone Collection
Bookshelf Size: 789 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Fire HDX 8.9
2017 Reading Goal: 150 Books
Goal Completion: 5%

Did you know?

Once you join the forums and log in you will get to enjoy a very ad-reduced experience. It's easy and completely free!

Re: Veterans

Post Number:#2 by MarisaRose
» 05 Feb 2017, 08:50

At times I felt Steven had many of the standard PTSD type symptoms typical of a veteran; however, it was difficult to tell if these symptoms were due to his time as a soldier or a side effect of the immortality pills. I don't think the author was really focusing on Steven as a war veteran, but it made sense for the purposes of the plot. If Steven had been portrayed more in this light, it would have taken away from his use of the immortality serum and the issues he faces in China.
"No two persons ever read the same book." -Edmund Wilson
MarisaRose's Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
MarisaRose

Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 131 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Kindle Paperwhite
2017 Reading Goal: 25 Books
Goal Completion: 172%

Post Number:#3 by hsimone
» 10 Feb 2017, 16:57

MarisaRose wrote:At times I felt Steven had many of the standard PTSD type symptoms typical of a veteran; however, it was difficult to tell if these symptoms were due to his time as a soldier or a side effect of the immortality pills. I don't think the author was really focusing on Steven as a war veteran, but it made sense for the purposes of the plot. If Steven had been portrayed more in this light, it would have taken away from his use of the immortality serum and the issues he faces in China.

This is a good point, MariaRose! I didn't think about what the author was trying to focus on.

Personally, I don't have much experience with those who come back from war other than what I read about, but I think his desperate need to live could definitely be plausible as a veteran.
"Love is patient, love is kind." -1 Corinthians 13:4
hsimone's Latest Review: "Paint The Storm" by Dawn V. Cahill
Publishing Contest ~ 27 Votes ~ View hsimone's Entry
hsimone
Lilimaster of Bookshelves

Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
Currently Reading: I Was Doctor Mengele's Assistant
Bookshelf Size: 385 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 140 Books
Goal Completion: 46%

Post Number:#4 by dosenron877
» 28 Feb 2017, 20:22

True, it is a good point that the author was not focused on the post-war veteran experience. That experience requires long and careful and systematic investigation. Those trying to do so inevitably run into the veterans who conclude "You can't know, you weren't there."

There were many elements of the post-war experience touched on. The best, unnamed, was the despair that veterans feel when they find out you really can't go home again. That is a part that doesn't get addressed by those who deal only with horrific experiences. This is what led Steven to travel, experiment with music, and, finally, travel to Tibet.

The stupidest question I have been (repeatedly) asked, "How does it feel to kill someone?"

You can't know if you haven't had the experience.
dosenron877's Latest Review: "Yesterday" by Samyann
dosenron877

Currently Reading: Route 66
Bookshelf Size: 439 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 150 Books
Goal Completion: 4%

Post Number:#5 by Natalie Charlene
» 04 May 2017, 15:08

I agree with the previous posts. While a touch of PTSD was coming through in the character, that's not what the book was focusing on. However, his experiences with war and PTSD did play a part in leading him down the path he chose.
Natalie Charlene

Currently Reading: The New Human Rights Movement
Bookshelf Size: 27 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 36 Books
Goal Completion: 72%

Post Number:#6 by Rae3839414243
» 04 May 2017, 17:18

My dad,grandpa and uncle are veterans. My dad went to Germany but all he really did as he told me many years ago is arrest his own men for drinking and direct traffic lol what job. :lol2: My grandpa just recently turned 95 was in Normandy. That's really cool :) . My uncle was in Vietnam. My aunt and him believe that the cancer he's suffering with he either got while in Vietnam from chemicals there or when he worked at a rubber factory he got it. I'll just keep him and my aunt in my prayers. He's one strong man with his faith. [color=#400080][list=][youtube][/youtube][/list][/color]
Rae3839414243

Bookshelf Size: 0 books
2017 Reading Goal: 0 Books