You have been given a choice to become immortal. Would you?

Discuss the February 2017 Book of the Month, The Diary of an Immortal by David J Castello.
Pilar Guerrero
Favorite Author: Susan Clayton-Goldner
Currently Reading: The American Claimant
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pilar-guerrero.html
Latest Review: "Lady Ruth Bromfield" by Gordon Smith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 56111

Re: You have been given a choice to become immortal. Would y

Post by Pilar Guerrero »

Yes, I would. And I would finally have time to read all that I want to read, and write the books I want to write. If I were immortal my mother would not see me dying and that makes me happy. I would learn as much as possible, I would learn languages and styles of writing to experiment and create something new. If I were given the choice, I would take it, and I would be as happy as I am now, forever.
Latest Review: "Lady Ruth Bromfield" by Gordon Smith
raeryn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raeryn.html
Latest Review: The Prize by Geoffrey M Cooper

Post by raeryn »

I don't think so, since I wouldn't want the world around me to grow old around me while I don't age. It'd be kind of lonely, wouldn't it?
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

raeryn wrote:I don't think so, since I wouldn't want the world around me to grow old around me while I don't age. It'd be kind of lonely, wouldn't it?
I think you're right. Now if my loved ones could be immortal with me....
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Oanaread
Currently Reading: Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oanaread.html

Post by Oanaread »

No, not really, thank you ? . I think what makes our lives special is the limit of time that we get to spend in this shape, which is not known to us. If I would be imortal time would mean nothing and eventully the existance itself would be a boredom.
Kaili K
Currently Reading: The End of Oz
Bookshelf Size: 37

Post by Kaili K »

Becoming an immortal certainly has appeal. Even so, I imagine that it can get kind of lonely. If there was someone I could share my immortality with, then that's something to make immortality more convincing. Going back to the main question, given the opportunity to become immortal, I would choose not to become one. While there are some benefits, there are some downsides as well. Even if I were to have a loved one beside me, I don't think I would be able to handle the constant running, lying, and hiding, and I don't think I'd be able to handle watching my loved one break down from the constant running, lying, and hiding as well. While I'm immortal, I'd still get tired and exhausted and, most of all, I'd still have feelings. The appeal of immortality would wear off over time which is not a good thing considering you'd have forever. Part of the reason why people make a big deal of life and living is because there is an end to it. By taking away the end, you kind of take away a huge meaning/point for living (living meaning more than just being alive).
Harsh99
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harsh99.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by Harsh99 »

Not immortal, but if you asked me to expand my life, I'd definitely say yes. I want to see how the world would look like after thousands of years. Specifically, I would like to see what kind of books the people read then and how are the animes.
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
Emily Pittman
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Emily Pittman »

If I was the only person in the world who could become immortal, I would not want to. I wouldn't want to leave all my loved ones behind, and hiding the fact that I could not age would be exhausting and lead to a life full of lies!
Ajgird
Currently Reading: Eclipse
Bookshelf Size: 31

Post by Ajgird »

I would not want to be immortal because I personally don't believe it would be worth it. If you were immortal you would outlive everyone you know and love. Once you do meet new people you will still outlive them and the cycle will continue. I also think it would be hard to try and adjust to living with different generations. You would have to evolve with the world and I think that would be quite difficult. Where it would be pretty cool, I think the cons outweigh the pros.
babybaby22
Favorite Book: Twilight
Currently Reading: Becoming
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by babybaby22 »

Only if my husband and family and dogie could be immortal too:)
Let us to remember to love all mankind we all bleed the same blood. :)
godreaujea
Currently Reading: Station Eleven
Bookshelf Size: 347
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-godreaujea.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by godreaujea »

No, never. I think we are made to be on this earth for a certain amount of time for a reason. We should do the most with what we have, and living literally forever sounds painful to me.
NovelSan
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by NovelSan »

I wouldn't take it, in my opinion, it's not worth having to see all of my family and friends die, and just have to live on without them.
Ckennedy
Currently Reading: Divergent
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ckennedy.html
Latest Review: "My Trip to Adele" by A.I.Alyaseer, R.I.Alyaseer

Post by Ckennedy »

Its definitely an intriguing offer, but I would have to say no. I could not live so far past my loved ones.
Latest Review: "My Trip to Adele" by A.I.Alyaseer, R.I.Alyaseer
MaricelBaby
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... >Communist Manifesto</a>
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by MaricelBaby »

No. I don't want to be immortalized. Why? Even the Earth is finite so why should I be immortalized. There is is this what we call "transitions" in life, therefore, we have to take into consideration the sake our progenies. They also wanted to live in a place which is not purely dominated by the same people. Human has no right to monopolize all the things given by this abode thus, all of us should perish if it is already our call from above.
NerdGirl91
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nerdgirl91.html
Latest Review: "Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)" by Janet McNulty

Post by NerdGirl91 »

Time heals all wounds right? So after going through years of watching my loves ones perish before my eyes it would be difficult to go on but that is what we do as humans, move on. Even as an immortal I would hope to hold onto my humanity.

So assuming I keep some tiny piece of my humanity, and my loved ones are gone and I move on with life, yes, I would become immortal if given the chance. The reasoning behind that it there would be endless opportunities. Go back to college over and over, learn as much as possible, experience life any way I want to, and maybe do some good. I would have endless time to find cures for diseases, do extensive research to find new ways to save lives.

Then there is the fun aspect of it too. Be able to go to every country in the world, and maybe someday go to another planet if our syfy dreams come true.

The only part that would be horrible is never having a partner to share it with for the long haul. You would be completely alone in it. It's a good thing I'm good company.
Latest Review: "Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)" by Janet McNulty
AA1495
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 19636">Out of the Box Awakening</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aa1495.html
Latest Review: YiaYia’s Kitchen by Brianna Koucos Midgley

Post by AA1495 »

I am not sure. It depends on the situation and circumstances. If it is a stable life, then why not?

Return to “Discuss "The Diary of an Immortal (1945-1959)" by David J Castello”