Forum Navigation: Forum Index » Book of the Month » Book of the month » Discuss "The Diary of an Immortal (1945-1959)" by David J Castello

Want FREE books and FREE Amazon gift cards?

Each day we announce via email a book that is either FREE or on a temporary sale at a great discount price. These are not your average free books. These are incredible insider deals on well-rated books. OnlineBookClub.org is where tomorrow's bestsellers are born. We also give away over $1,000 per month of free Amazon gift cards in free daily giveaways, exclusively to those signed up to these announcements! Hurry, sign up free now:

Sorry, this proves you are human.

You have been given a choice to become immortal. Would you?

Discuss the February 2017 Book of the Month, The Diary of an Immortal by David J Castello.

Re: You have been given a choice to become immortal. Would y

Post Number:#286 by Abailey717
» 17 Apr 2017, 11:03

It's hard to answer this question and not think of the enthralling characters I have encountered in past books, but maybe that is not necessarily a bad thing. Those characters used their time in books, quite well and purposefully. I think that if I were to be immortal I could do such as that; be purposeful and make an awesome impact on so many people's lives. Of course for the first part of it I would do a lot of things for myself, but once that was worn down to a think point I think that the ability of helping others would be appealing and something I could get lost in. I'm not sure how long I would be able to handle this, I'm sure it would get a bit lonely after a while since most of the people I would have known would have died by now. That is the big part that has me second guessing. To always meet people who you can never truely keep would be difficult.
Abailey717

Currently Reading: The Winner's Crime
Bookshelf Size: 5 books
2017 Reading Goal: 0 Books
Goal Completion: 0%

Did you know?

Once you join the forums and log in you will get to enjoy a very ad-reduced experience. It's easy and completely free!

Post Number:#287 by SonjaB1006
» 17 Apr 2017, 11:19

I think I would take the chance to be immortal. There are so many things that I want to see and do and being immortal would certainly give me the time I lack now to achieve it all. It would also give me the security to travel to places I would otherwise feel unsafe travelling to alone, meaning I would get to see more.
SonjaB1006

Currently Reading: The List
Bookshelf Size: 91 books

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#288 by KiMB00P
» 17 Apr 2017, 11:41

I would do it. I feel that there's not enough hours in a day and I worry that I won't be able to do everything I want to do in my life. I love to learn and create things and I know that I'm still pretty young, but I've already achieved many things and I crave even more. I'm 26 and I've already worked for the same employer for 10 years, changed careers twice, and now work for the #1 hospital in Washington state.

I'm happiest with nature, and have dreams that I'd one day be able to live off the grid, fully self-sufficient.

I'm 39 years away from retirement, but I feel that I work too hard for this green paper that we all call "money" and have a hard time comprehending what exactly it does for me. Yes, it can buy me a kindle, pay my internet and electricity bill, but these things is not what life is about and it doesn't fill me with the satisfaction that I'm searching for.
KiMB00P

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 118 books
Reading Device: Fire HD 7 Tablet
2017 Reading Goal: 50 Books
Goal Completion: 10%

Post Number:#289 by Jaime Lync
» 18 Apr 2017, 18:44

I wouldn't want to be immortal in this present world. However, my religious views inform me that we all have eternal souls that hang in the balance of either spending forever in heaven or hell so I believe we have no choice but to be immortal just not in this fleshy body. This world is fleeting and death is but a door to new existence.
Jaime Lync's Latest Review: "My Author Is Dead" by Michel Bruneau
Jaime Lync

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 12 Books
Goal Completion: 483%

Post Number:#290 by MarvelGirl
» 19 Apr 2017, 17:54

Wasif Ahmed wrote:If you were given the choice of not aging beyond a certain point, would you do it?
I am not sure. The idea of becoming immortal does sound interesting but.....

Please share your thoughts on this topic. 😃

It would definitely depend on a few factors, for me personally.

For one, what would be the details of my immortality? Would I stay my exact same age as I am now, but not be able to die? Would I be human in every other sense, or would I have any kind of other powers and abilities?

Another deciding factor would be whether I was the only person with this immortality or if others, maybe even other people I knew, could be immortal.
MarvelGirl

Favorite Author: F. Scott Fitzgerald
Currently Reading: Tender Is the Night
Bookshelf Size: 18 books

Post Number:#291 by Data Adjasi
» 20 Apr 2017, 19:47

As spirit beings inhabiting bodies, we are already immortal because it is only our bodies that die leaving our souls and spirits to journey on to heaven or hell (as in Christianity)

However to be given the choice of becoming physically immortal will be a very interesting and wonderful experience because I would be a very great historian who will witness a lot of generations, advice leaders and personally undertake a lot of revolutionary measures to improve our world. As the maxim goes; our present is a sum of our past, and our future is a product of our past and present.
Data Adjasi

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3 books

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#292 by ReadtoLive
» 21 Apr 2017, 16:06

I've thought about this, after seeing movies and reading books with immortal characters. I'd say No, for several reasons. One is that I think it would be hard not to get terminally bored by an infinite existence. Also the loneliness of it would be tough to take, watching everyone you cared for die over and over. Then there's the fact that the Earth itself won't last forever, and if humankind doesn't develop space travel and colonies elsewhere to go to... I wonder what would happen, even to an immortal, if the world he or she was living on was consumed by its sun.
ReadtoLive

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 529 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 10 Books
Goal Completion: 350%

Post Number:#293 by CZCampbell
» 21 Apr 2017, 16:33

Absolutely, however it would take a few centuries to adapt to the realities of love and loss. That would be hard - but if I could turn others immortal with me then even more absolutely!
CZCampbell

Currently Reading: Nighthawk: Sons of de Wolfe
Bookshelf Size: 46 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Kindle Paperwhite
2017 Reading Goal: 100 Books
Goal Completion: 11%

Post Number:#294 by ktrae910
» 22 Apr 2017, 13:40

Hell, NO! Get away from me.. I want none of that! I am more than happy to die in God's good time.
ktrae910

Currently Reading: The American Miracle
Bookshelf Size: 8205 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 250 Books
Goal Completion: 11%

Post Number:#295 by Chandre
» 23 Apr 2017, 12:24

Honestly I don't think I would. It would be wrong on so many levels. Plus I couldn't take my family or kids with me. So what would the purpose be. Maybe if I was an orphan and I wasn't married with my kids.

Very tough decisions to make
Chandre's Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami
Chandre

Currently Reading: The Last Play
Bookshelf Size: 49 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 80 Books
Goal Completion: 36%

Post Number:#296 by Deliza
» 23 Apr 2017, 14:56

It would depend I suppose...on if there would still be the option to end it. I mean, vampires are immortal but a stake, beheading, or daytime stroll and they are no more. But for me, this is the main flaw in the immortality option. i feel that should i find true love, or get too bored and eager to try out the afterlife, I would like the option to be open to me.
It it is, then YEAH...sign me up for the immortality package.
Deliza

Favorite Author: Christine Feehan
Currently Reading: Solaris Seethes
Bookshelf Size: 69 books

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#297 by QuillReads22
» 23 Apr 2017, 21:11

I think that it would be fun for a bit, but like many others, I'd want the option to die at some point. There would be so much change in the world and I think it would get lonely.
QuillReads22

Currently Reading: The Girl Who Played With Fire
Bookshelf Size: 13 books

Post Number:#298 by KaylaA
» 24 Apr 2017, 23:16

This was always a questioned that I pondered for my whole life. When I was young, I would always wish that I never had to die because I could do so much in life. Now, I have a lot more enjoyment out of life knowing that I have a time limit than if my life would go on forever. Also, I will have to watch everyone that I love die and I couldn't bare living in that loneliness for eternity.
KaylaA

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Kindle Paperwhite
2017 Reading Goal: 40 Books
Goal Completion: 35%

Post Number:#299 by kinggabrel
» 26 Apr 2017, 04:17

My answer would be a no. Even though it my sound pleasant to live forever but watching people you love grow old and die is not the kind of life i am wishing.
kinggabrel

Currently Reading: Raven's Peak
Bookshelf Size: 0 books

Post Number:#300 by judannewen19
» 26 Apr 2017, 12:52

No. I won't. It will just hurt me seeing the people I love go, leaving me behind. I hate seeing those scenes.
judannewen19

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15 books

PreviousNext