Movie?

Discuss the January 2017 Book of the Month, We Are the Ants by Shaun David Hutchinson.
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Movie?

Post by Gravy »

Do you think this would make a good movie? If so, what parts would you want to see left in? Who do you think should be cast? Are there any parts you think should be left out?
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
Julie Ditton
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 031">Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, Parts 1 & 2</a>
Currently Reading: The Bone Collection
Bookshelf Size: 790
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-ditton.html
Latest Review: "Nightlord: Sunset" by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by Julie Ditton »

I am not sure that this book would translate well into a movie. Given the fact that it may all be an extra credit report, and all the alternate scenereos, it would be hard to write a screenplay that works.
"Oh honestly, don't you two read?"

-Hermione Granger in Harry Potter and the Sorcerer 's Stone
by J.K. Rowling
Latest Review: "Nightlord: Sunset" by Garon Whited
Thimble
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 6338">Iron Kissed</a>
Currently Reading: A Wise Man's Fear
Bookshelf Size: 270
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thimble.html
Latest Review: The Captain's Collie by Ace Mask
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Thimble »

There isn't a lot of dialogue or a lot of action, so I think making a movie out of it would be challenging. It would require a really good team of film makers. Also, there may need to be a narrating VO to get Henry's personality and thoughts across properly.
"You can never leave footprints that last if you are always walking on tiptoe." - Leymah Gbowee
Jennifer Allsbrook
Favorite Book: Nightlord: Sunset
Currently Reading: An American Hedge Fund
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-allsbrook.html
Latest Review: Audible Book of your Choice by Amazon

Post by Jennifer Allsbrook »

I also don't think this book would translate well to the big screen. There is so much time spent in Henry's head. The world-ending scenarios would be awesome to see on the screen though!
mratdegraff91
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 433
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mratdegraff91.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin
Reading Device: B018SZT3BK

Post by mratdegraff91 »

I have to agree with everyone. Unless they completely remake it to where it hardly resembles the book it would be difficult to bring in viewers.
Madison Degraffenreid
Kdonegan91
Favorite Author: Wanda E. Brunstetter
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 202">Never Cry Again</a>
Currently Reading: Ironbark Hill
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdonegan91.html
Latest Review: "A Matter of Faith" by Duke Woodrick
Reading Device: 1400699169
fav_author_id: 19883

Post by Kdonegan91 »

I agree with everyone. If someone made this into a movie, it would have to be significantly different than the book. A movie would need more dialogue.
When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change. - Wayne Dyer
Latest Review: "A Matter of Faith" by Duke Woodrick
ashley_claire
Favorite Book: The Prince of Tides
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 158
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-claire.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by ashley_claire »

I'm not sure that this would make a great movie either. However if it was made into a movie, I think it would be interesting if it didn't show the alien abductions and just had Henry talking about them afterward and maybe only show the aftermath with him waking waking up naked in random places. I think that would leave the people watching the movie in a similar situation as the reader in questioning if he really is being abducted or not.
Insightsintobooks
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-insightsintobooks.html
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Insightsintobooks »

I agree with everyone else. I don't feel this would make a good movie.
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch
AA1495
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 19636">Out of the Box Awakening</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aa1495.html
Latest Review: YiaYia’s Kitchen by Brianna Koucos Midgley

Post by AA1495 »

Jennifer Allsbrook wrote:I also don't think this book would translate well to the big screen. There is so much time spent in Henry's head. The world-ending scenarios would be awesome to see on the screen though!
That's a good point! Thoought's & feelings wouldn't be expressed as well on the screen!
Lest92
Currently Reading: Oil and Marble
Bookshelf Size: 199
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lest92.html
Latest Review: The Everywhere Spirit by Nicholas Applin

Post by Lest92 »

Could work, I think. The Nun's Story translated well into film, which wasn't easy to do with an introspective protagonist but it was done brilliantly and without voice-overs. I think this book could remediate just as well, perhaps into an arthouse with a science fiction slant. Many people might not want to sit still long enough to watch - I'm aware that people want megalography, not rhopography, in films today. It could even create jobs for a Dreamworks team?
Janetleighgreen
Favorite Author: Janet Leigh Green
Currently Reading: Before She Disappeared
Bookshelf Size: 204
fav_author_id: 42198

Post by Janetleighgreen »

I think it would be very difficult for this to translate well into a movie.
KAV
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kav.html
Latest Review: "Angelica" by Clabe Polk

Post by KAV »

Nope, I don't think this would be a good movie. There wasn't much dialogue or action. Too much of the book was emotions and in Henry's head. I did like the idea of leaving out the abductions and just showing Henry walking home naked. The end of the world senarios could be reported there newspaper clipping or TV reports if they were to make it into a movie.
Latest Review: "Angelica" by Clabe Polk
Mannie913
Currently Reading: Sweep Volume 3
Bookshelf Size: 114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mannie913.html
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Mannie913 »

I personally don't usually like when they transfer book to movie. I know some directors are better at it than others, I still get nervous when I see one of my favorite books being made a TV series or a movie. So I immediately say no. I prefer to keep my characters in my head the way I envision them instead of how someone else tells me to see them.
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
dosenron877
Currently Reading: Route 66
Bookshelf Size: 439
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dosenron877.html
Latest Review: "Yesterday" by Samyann
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by dosenron877 »

Many (and I) believe that there is a relationship between the book's story and the reader. I read the book; I know the story. I would undoubtedly be critical of what showed up on the screen. Anyone with an experience of having a relative with Alzheimer knows exactly what Nana looks like, how she thinks, how she compensates, and what she feels. That is only a small example; there are many complex characters in the book.

A film would diminish the book. I felt this was true in The Perks of Being a Wallflower.
Latest Review: "Yesterday" by Samyann
CzechTigg
Currently Reading: Free Fish Friday
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-czechtigg.html
Latest Review: "Finding the Phoenix" by Caitlin O'Connor

Post by CzechTigg »

dosenron877 wrote:Many (and I) believe that there is a relationship between the book's story and the reader. I read the book; I know the story. I would undoubtedly be critical of what showed up on the screen. Anyone with an experience of having a relative with Alzheimer knows exactly what Nana looks like, how she thinks, how she compensates, and what she feels. That is only a small example; there are many complex characters in the book.

A film would diminish the book. I felt this was true in The Perks of Being a Wallflower.
I often come to a movie first and then read the book, and find the experience enhanced. But how did 'Perks' not work for you? I thought it was a decent coming of age film with good young actors.. Maybe it just didn't have as much depth as the book perhaps (which I have yet to read)?
Latest Review: "Finding the Phoenix" by Caitlin O'Connor

Return to “Discuss "We Are the Ants" by Shaun David Hutchinson”