Bullying and Abuse. (3rd chapter SPOILER)

Discuss the January 2017 Book of the Month, We Are the Ants by Shaun David Hutchinson.
Julie Ditton
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 031">Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, Parts 1 & 2</a>
Currently Reading: The Bone Collection
Bookshelf Size: 790
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-ditton.html
Latest Review: "Nightlord: Sunset" by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Bullying and Abuse. (3rd chapter SPOILER)

Post by Julie Ditton »

This book shows a portrait of Marcus and his
friends bullying Henry. Henry just takes the harassment and doesn't fight back. That behavior could probably be because of his relationship with Marcus. Given that relationship, I would call Marcus's behavior physical and emotional abuse. Do you agree? Do you think the way Henry reacts is typical? How else could he have handled it? If the bully had not been a boyfriend, how should he have handled things?
"Oh honestly, don't you two read?"

-Hermione Granger in Harry Potter and the Sorcerer 's Stone
by J.K. Rowling
Latest Review: "Nightlord: Sunset" by Garon Whited
mratdegraff91
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 433
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mratdegraff91.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin
Reading Device: B018SZT3BK

Post by mratdegraff91 »

I agree that it is both physical and emotional abuse. It hurts me reading all that happens to Henry. I do believe his reaction is typical and sometimes it is hard to step back and actually see how things are. He could have attempted to stand up for himself but he may have worried that it would have affected everything else in their relationship. If they hadn't been in a relationship standing up to him may have been easier.
Madison Degraffenreid
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Unfortunately, because Henry was so broken, I feel his reactions are typical. Those who have been hurt have a harder time in seeing when they are abused.

The right thing to do was to seek help from the adults in his life, but he didn't have the strength to. Like mratdegraff91 has said, if Henry and Marcus were not together perhaps it would have been easier to stand up for himself.
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

hsimone wrote:Unfortunately, because Henry was so broken, I feel his reactions are typical. Those who have been hurt have a harder time in seeing when they are abused.

The right thing to do was to seek help from the adults in his life, but he didn't have the strength to. Like mratdegraff91 has said, if Henry and Marcus were not together perhaps it would have been easier to stand up for himself.
:text-yeahthat:

I agree again. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
mratdegraff91
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 433
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mratdegraff91.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin
Reading Device: B018SZT3BK

Post by mratdegraff91 »

hsimone wrote:Unfortunately, because Henry was so broken, I feel his reactions are typical. Those who have been hurt have a harder time in seeing when they are abused.

I really like your answer. His teacher would have been a great one to ask. She seems to really care about him.
Madison Degraffenreid
Jennifer Allsbrook
Favorite Book: Nightlord: Sunset
Currently Reading: An American Hedge Fund
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-allsbrook.html
Latest Review: Audible Book of your Choice by Amazon

Post by Jennifer Allsbrook »

I feel that Henry had been ridiculed for so long and since the death of Jesse, much of the fight had gone out of him. I do believe that Marcus and his friends were abusing Henry in the most cruel way. Public ridicule for a teenager is devastating. I work at a high school and teens can be brutal to each other but they can also be fierce friends in their defense of each other as we saw with Audrey and Diego. Abuse comes in many forms, but Marcus's treatment of Henry, as his lover one minute his abuser the next, made me want to cry. It is the people we love or are intimate with that have the most power to hurt us. Overall, I was glad that Henry finally stood up for himself.
Erik
Currently Reading: Adventures of Sherlock Holmes
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Erik »

Working in a high school? You're brave!
Jennifer Allsbrook
Favorite Book: Nightlord: Sunset
Currently Reading: An American Hedge Fund
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-allsbrook.html
Latest Review: Audible Book of your Choice by Amazon

Post by Jennifer Allsbrook »

Erik wrote:Working in a high school? You're brave!
Been at it for 24 years! Teenagers can also be really good people. I am a geeky science teacher like Ms. Faraci! :geek2:
Erik
Currently Reading: Adventures of Sherlock Holmes
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Erik »

Jennifer Allsbrook wrote:
Erik wrote:Working in a high school? You're brave!
Been at it for 24 years! Teenagers can also be really good people. I am a geeky science teacher like Ms. Faraci! :geek2:

I still say you are brave. I take on students now and then, as a sort of co-op/apprenticeship placement, but my students are all university-level... and even then, they usually perplex me. So I must give you enormous credit.
In my experience, geeks are generally very decent sorts... of course, they usually know what it is like to be on the receiving end of social abuses, so they tend to be the ones who befriend and support others who are on the social outs.
Aohanlon86
Favorite Author: Charlaine Harris
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amcdanel86.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi
fav_author_id: 3791

Post by Aohanlon86 »

Jennifer Allsbrook wrote:I feel that Henry had been ridiculed for so long and since the death of Jesse, much of the fight had gone out of him. I do believe that Marcus and his friends were abusing Henry in the most cruel way. Public ridicule for a teenager is devastating. I work at a high school and teens can be brutal to each other but they can also be fierce friends in their defense of each other as we saw with Audrey and Diego. Abuse comes in many forms, but Marcus's treatment of Henry, as his lover one minute his abuser the next, made me want to cry. It is the people we love or are intimate with that have the most power to hurt us. Overall, I was glad that Henry finally stood up for himself.
Very well put, I completely agree the people we love and are intimate with have the power to hurt us the most.
Andrea O'Hanlon
Twisted Creations Home & Bath
Author
Thimble
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 6338">Iron Kissed</a>
Currently Reading: A Wise Man's Fear
Bookshelf Size: 270
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thimble.html
Latest Review: The Captain's Collie by Ace Mask
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Thimble »

I agree with others that he didn't fight back because of his relationship. I think this is mirrored in other parts of the book. I would add that whenever someone fought back for him, there were often repercussions. Fear of things becoming worse can also make you not want to do anything about it.
"You can never leave footprints that last if you are always walking on tiptoe." - Leymah Gbowee
Kdonegan91
Favorite Author: Wanda E. Brunstetter
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 202">Never Cry Again</a>
Currently Reading: Ironbark Hill
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdonegan91.html
Latest Review: "A Matter of Faith" by Duke Woodrick
Reading Device: 1400699169
fav_author_id: 19883

Post by Kdonegan91 »

I agree that if he wouldn't have been in a relationship with him he might have responded a little more aggressively. However, after being bullied for so long, one can just become numb to it and find it easier to ignore and walk away than fight.
When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change. - Wayne Dyer
Latest Review: "A Matter of Faith" by Duke Woodrick
Donnavila Marie01
Currently Reading: the one
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donnavila-marie01.html
Latest Review: "America, It Was Just An Idea" by Dr. Rayna M. Gangi

Post by Donnavila Marie01 »

Bullying is one of our problems among the young. We have laws but these laws are not strictly implemented. Sometimes, the young are not aware of their rights against bullying.
Latest Review: "America, It Was Just An Idea" by Dr. Rayna M. Gangi
CrescentMoon
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crescentmoon.html
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey

Post by CrescentMoon »

I agree with what has been said previously. He was in the relationship and it was hard for him to see and think clearly and objectively. Plus, I think with his personality and past experiences, he just decided it was easier to take it then to stand up for himself. Those scenes were very emotional.
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey
KAV
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kav.html
Latest Review: "Angelica" by Clabe Polk

Post by KAV »

Thimble wrote:I agree with others that he didn't fight back because of his relationship. I think this is mirrored in other parts of the book. I would add that whenever someone fought back for him, there were often repercussions. Fear of things becoming worse can also make you not want to do anything about it.
Well said. Whenever he fought back things just became worse for him. Even when someone was suspended from school, Henry was still the one to get a black eye even though he wasn't the person who told on the kid.

I also think that Marcus was his only contact with humanity. He had no one to talk to right after Jesse's suicide. Even though Marcus abused him emotional, he still needed that physical contact with someone. It wasn't until Diego came to school that Henry started to break things off with Marcus.
Latest Review: "Angelica" by Clabe Polk

Return to “Discuss "We Are the Ants" by Shaun David Hutchinson”