Big, red button or big, blue one

Discuss the January 2017 Book of the Month, We Are the Ants by Shaun David Hutchinson.
ramblinggnomes
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ramblinggnomes.html
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks

Big, red button or big, blue one

Post by ramblinggnomes »

This is clearly a psychological test. Choose to save the planet by pushing the big, red button.

Is it real? What happens if you don´t press the button? Is it the matrix style and you wake up from the artificial reality?

If you haven´t already read the book and know what happens, give me your opinions! Is it a test? What happens if he doesn´t push it?
David Nash
Currently Reading: Slay the Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-david-nash.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill
Reading Device: B009XE0K7W

Post by David Nash »

Hmmm. It's a good question, but most people would get to it after reading the book. However, ignoring the book and looking at the question as an arbitrary one I'd push the red button. There is no downside. If I can save the planet by pushing the red button then I do it. Even if I don't like the planet and I wish to die, pushing the red button just takes everybody including me with it. I'm not that vindictive. I could just commit suicide to get out. And as long as the planet is around it has a chance to get better - even if it gets worse first. Finally, if someone lied to me and the red button destroyed the planet rather than save it, I am not guilty of anything but being lied to. As for not pushing it... I have no reaosn to believe that would do anything but destroy the world. Why should I think I would wake up from some artificial reality when my entire life has been in this reality? What would make me ever think it is artificial? So, in the end. I push the red button.
Jennifer Allsbrook
Favorite Book: Nightlord: Sunset
Currently Reading: An American Hedge Fund
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-allsbrook.html
Latest Review: Audible Book of your Choice by Amazon

Post by Jennifer Allsbrook »

ramblinggnomes wrote:This is clearly a psychological test. Choose to save the planet by pushing the big, red button.

Is it real? What happens if you don´t press the button? Is it the matrix style and you wake up from the artificial reality?

If you haven´t already read the book and know what happens, give me your opinions! Is it a test? What happens if he doesn´t push it?
I would definitely push the red button. No matter how bad my own situation, I would want this world to go on spinning on its axis! I think in the end Henry would have pushed the red button and saved the planet even considering all he had been through. Especially with Diego in his life as an influence to change.
papaya12
Currently Reading: Insurgent
Bookshelf Size: 72
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-papaya12.html
Latest Review: Protostar by Braxton A. Cosby
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by papaya12 »

First of all I'll say that since I'm not in Henry's position I can't say for sure what I would do. I would hope that I would push the big red button for even the small chance of saving Earth but I can't say for sure.
James Craft
Favorite Author: Lincoln Cole
Currently Reading: Carnivore
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-james-craft.html
Latest Review: "Perdido Bay Blues" by Jacqueline Lane
fav_author_id: 26410

Post by James Craft »

Yeah I dunno what I would do either. An interesting conundrum and not one I would look forward to.
Latest Review: "Perdido Bay Blues" by Jacqueline Lane
TangledinText
Currently Reading: The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookfix-blog.html

Post by TangledinText »

It would take a while for the impact to fully weigh on my conscious, but I'd click the red button
Genaaa
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-genaaa.html
Latest Review: "A Messiahs Battle For The Human Realm" by Roberto Torres Rivera

Post by Genaaa »

If it were me, I'd hope I would press the big red button if pressing it had even a sliver of a chance of saving the earth.
Latest Review: "A Messiahs Battle For The Human Realm" by Roberto Torres Rivera
dosenron877
Currently Reading: Route 66
Bookshelf Size: 439
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dosenron877.html
Latest Review: "Yesterday" by Samyann
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by dosenron877 »

At least it was a choice of only one button. Not, "Should I cut the blue wire, green wire, or yellow wire." Only one button solves the problem we would have if Henry was colorblind.

And why red anyway? Red means stop; green means go; so why wasn't it a green button?

To answer the question, I would push the button. After that, the world goes on and we can react and try to tweak solutions to continuing problems. Not pushing the button leaves me with no further options. I like options.
Latest Review: "Yesterday" by Samyann
Vickyoreo86
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =118626">A Court of Wings and Ruin</a>
Currently Reading: The Sword of Shannara
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vickyoreo86.html
Latest Review: Cover Your Tracks, Leona Leitman by C. S. Johnson

Post by Vickyoreo86 »

I guess (since I haven't read the book yet) that I would want to know what kind of peril the world is in...mainly because I am nosy. I think that having understood that pressing the button is the only way to save 7 to 8 billion people I might do it. But I am also wary of people in the world and the one asking it of me may have a hidden agenda....In the end, even with those possiblites I am not sure there would be another choice but to press it. If I don't and something terrible happened, I wouldn't live with that guilt.

But now I need to read the darn book LOL!
“We make choices everyday, some of them good, some of them bad. And - if we are strong enough - we live with the consequences.”
― David Gemmell
noorsawhney
Currently Reading: The Hobbit
Bookshelf Size: 185
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-noorsawhney.html
Latest Review: "Aluria" by Tyler Cook

Post by noorsawhney »

I haven't read the book and I think I wouldn't press the button. I don't like the idea of my actions directly causing something that impacts lots of people, especially if I'm not sure what the button does (I definitely wouldn't trust anyone who told me a button could save the world!) If I knew absolutely for certain, I would press it for the greater good. I really want to read this book; I've heard such good things about it!
“Nolite te bastardes carborundorum"
Latest Review: "Aluria" by Tyler Cook
dhomespot
Currently Reading: Blind Black Sheep
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dhomespot.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Post by dhomespot »

This is a difficult question as I would not like to think my actions, or inaction, would have a negative on anyone. If I really thought that pushing the red button would save the world, then I would push it.
"Maybe ever’body in the whole damn world is scared of each other."- John Steinbeck
Jeyran Main
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 336
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeyran-main.html
Latest Review: "Stalking The Shadows" by BJ Edwards

Post by Jeyran Main »

I probably would press the big red button. Not every decision we make in life should be just based on how happy we are going to feel. Sometimes it would be nice to consider other people's happiness first.
Latest Review: "Stalking The Shadows" by BJ Edwards
jwheeler28
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jwheeler28.html
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by jwheeler28 »

This is a hard one. I have not read the book, but after seeing the way things are going these days its one I would have to sit back and think on. I would like to say I would hit the button to give earth another chance to fix itself. However, looking back throughout history its almost as if the human race hasn't fully learned from past mistakes. That isn't to say I want to take out an entire population because that would be difficult to place a final decision for. If I had to decide now, I don't think I would. I would rather try to save the world, and maybe get the human race to try and change their evil ways (not saying all of the human race is evil because there are some really decent people here), but at the same time I am one person I couldn't do it alone.
hailvilla18
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hailvilla18.html
Latest Review: "Loving Marie" by Dawn Reno Langley

Post by hailvilla18 »

I would hit the red button if someone gives me an assurance that it would create a good effect. I don't want to end feeling guilt for an action impulsively done. If hitting the red button could save the Earth and make it exist longer, then I wouldn't think twice in doing the simple act.
Latest Review: "Loving Marie" by Dawn Reno Langley
Dh_
Favorite Author: Alex Flinn
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 714">Carry On</a>
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dh.html
Latest Review: "Nobody Cares Who You Are - The Life and Times of Aceman, A Widespread Panic Roadie" by Larry Acquaviva
fav_author_id: 4010

Post by Dh_ »

If there's a chance I could save the Earth by pushing the red button, then I'd push it. But then again, what is the blue button for? And what happens if I don't save the Earth? This is not a situation where I would not be able to think clearly or make a rational decision. It would be a tough decision.
Latest Review: "Nobody Cares Who You Are - The Life and Times of Aceman, A Widespread Panic Roadie" by Larry Acquaviva

Return to “Discuss "We Are the Ants" by Shaun David Hutchinson”