End-of-the World Scenarios?

Discuss the January 2017 Book of the Month, We Are the Ants by Shaun David Hutchinson.
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

End-of-the World Scenarios?

Post by Gravy »

Which of the different scenarios was your favorite? Which one(s) do you think could be plausible? Which one was the most disturbing, or the funniest?
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
Julie Ditton
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 031">Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, Parts 1 & 2</a>
Currently Reading: The Bone Collection
Bookshelf Size: 792
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-ditton.html
Latest Review: "Nightlord: Sunset" by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by Julie Ditton »

My favorite scenario was the nanobots. The asteroid scenario sounds the most plausible and ctrl-alt-delete is the most humorous.
"Oh honestly, don't you two read?"

-Hermione Granger in Harry Potter and the Sorcerer 's Stone
by J.K. Rowling
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Hm...I think the most plausible one was the asteroid of even the bees one. I feel bees (even though they freak me out) do help a lot in pollinating, so if they slowly died out, then the food we get from the ground would slowly begin to fade.

The scenario where eventually everyone wouldn't need to leave their houses because everything can be accessed there could also be plausible. Though traveling would be challenging, right now we have a lot that we can access in our homes (internet, cell phones, etc.), so all we need is a bit more technology and we might be there. Scary :shock:
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

hsimone wrote:Hm...I think the most plausible one was the asteroid of even the bees one. I feel bees (even though they freak me out) do help a lot in pollinating, so if they slowly died out, then the food we get from the ground would slowly begin to fade.

The scenario where eventually everyone wouldn't need to leave their houses because everything can be accessed there could also be plausible. Though traveling would be challenging, right now we have a lot that we can access in our homes (internet, cell phones, etc.), so all we need is a bit more technology and we might be there. Scary :shock:
Well said and I agree! :tiphat:
A retired Admin/Mod

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Erik
Currently Reading: Adventures of Sherlock Holmes
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Erik »

I'm getting tired of 'end of the world/collapse of society/zombie apocalypse' plots. It has been done far too much lately. So many movies, books, TV shows, games in this genre out in the past 10 years. It makes me wonder if fans of this genre actually want society to collapse, at some level, and I find that disturbing.
Why is this so popular, when if it were real, it would likely mean the death of every fan out there?
katiesquilts
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 649
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katiesquilts.html
Latest Review: Anything For Love by Gracie Bond

Post by katiesquilts »

Erik wrote:I'm getting tired of 'end of the world/collapse of society/zombie apocalypse' plots. It has been done far too much lately. So many movies, books, TV shows, games in this genre out in the past 10 years. It makes me wonder if fans of this genre actually want society to collapse, at some level, and I find that disturbing.
Why is this so popular, when if it were real, it would likely mean the death of every fan out there?
I think some people are fascinated with those plots because they actually believe that they might happen. I mean, look at all of the Doomsday preppers out there! If they believe in it, it gives them something to prepare for/look forward to.
Gravy

Post by Gravy »

I think it's have to say my favorite was Ctrl-Alt-Delete.
I agree that the asteroid and bees would be most believable.

I also liked the nanos.

Jennifer Allsbrook
Favorite Book: Nightlord: Sunset
Currently Reading: An American Hedge Fund
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-allsbrook.html
Latest Review: Audible Book of your Choice by Amazon

Post by Jennifer Allsbrook »

Gravy wrote:Which of the different scenarios was your favorite? Which one(s) do you think could be plausible? Which one was the most disturbing, or the funniest?
Being a science geek, I absolutely loved the variety and creativity of these scenarios. From colony collapse disease to genetically modified roaches, the science was great. The plausibility of several scenarios rank up there. A meteor strike, the dimming of the sun, CCD of bees, "superbugs", the fixers...all feasible. Scientific advancements have the potential to make or break society. Just consider the Manhattan Project!
Julie Ditton
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 031">Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, Parts 1 & 2</a>
Currently Reading: The Bone Collection
Bookshelf Size: 792
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-ditton.html
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by Julie Ditton »

I was also impressed by the science in this science fiction book.

I also have great respect for you, Jennifer. Teaching takes a special type of person. I know; I tried it and quit. As a parent, I know how tough trends can be. Kudos to you.

-- 08 Jan 2017, 11:53 --

I also have great respect for you, Jennifer. Teaching takes a special type of person. I know; I tried it and quit. As a parent, I know how tough trends can be. Kudos to you.
"Oh honestly, don't you two read?"

-Hermione Granger in Harry Potter and the Sorcerer 's Stone
by J.K. Rowling
Jennifer Allsbrook
Favorite Book: Nightlord: Sunset
Currently Reading: An American Hedge Fund
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-allsbrook.html
Latest Review: Audible Book of your Choice by Amazon

Post by Jennifer Allsbrook »

Julie Ditton wrote:I was also impressed by the science in this science fiction book.

-- 08 Jan 2017, 11:53 --

Thanks Julie!
Aohanlon86
Favorite Author: Charlaine Harris
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amcdanel86.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi
fav_author_id: 3791

Post by Aohanlon86 »

hsimone wrote:Hm...I think the most plausible one was the asteroid of even the bees one. I feel bees (even though they freak me out) do help a lot in pollinating, so if they slowly died out, then the food we get from the ground would slowly begin to fade.

I agree the bees seem the most likely to happen. In 2016 bees were declared endangered

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/bee ... aafe0bb55d
Andrea O'Hanlon
Twisted Creations Home & Bath
Author
Gravy

Post by Gravy »

:text-yeahthat:

Seriously.

Heidi M Simone
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Amcdanel86 wrote:

I agree the bees seem the most likely to happen. In 2016 bees were declared endangered

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/bee ... aafe0bb55d
I actually had no idea that some bee species were endangered. Wow, that is insane. Thank you for sharing.
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Donnavila Marie01
Currently Reading: the one
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donnavila-marie01.html
Latest Review: "America, It Was Just An Idea" by Dr. Rayna M. Gangi

Post by Donnavila Marie01 »

I love End-of-the-World scenarios because they help me reflect. they encourage me to go back and review what I have done in the past. I become a better individual when I am reminded of the thought that end of the world may be true.
Latest Review: "America, It Was Just An Idea" by Dr. Rayna M. Gangi
James Craft
Favorite Author: Lincoln Cole
Currently Reading: Carnivore
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-james-craft.html
Latest Review: "Perdido Bay Blues" by Jacqueline Lane
fav_author_id: 26410

Post by James Craft »

Erik wrote:I'm getting tired of 'end of the world/collapse of society/zombie apocalypse' plots. It has been done far too much lately. So many movies, books, TV shows, games in this genre out in the past 10 years. It makes me wonder if fans of this genre actually want society to collapse, at some level, and I find that disturbing.
People make what sells, and it has consistently sold. I agree it is overdone but in general many alternative plots just don't sell enough to justify the big screen treatment.

You could compare it to the billionaire erotica/romance genre out there and how many thousands of those there are now. How many of 'The Billionaire and the Virgin' stories are enough? I guess until it stops selling (at least for a while until it makes a resurgence)
Latest Review: "Perdido Bay Blues" by Jacqueline Lane

Return to “Discuss "We Are the Ants" by Shaun David Hutchinson”