Do You Believe in Aliens?

Discuss the January 2017 Book of the Month, We Are the Ants by Shaun David Hutchinson.
Sparkletime
Currently Reading: The Tombs of Atuan
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sparkletime.html
Latest Review: "The Protectors, The First Coming" by Jonathan Gregory Reed

Re: Do You Believe in Aliens?

Post by Sparkletime »

To me it is not a matter of belief. We live in a universe with billions of visible galaxies around us. Given we've already found a bunch of planets capable of supporting life as we know it in our own galaxy, how could anyone say there is no other life out there? That would make us the anomaly in billions of billions. Aliens (as in life outside of the earth) are 100% out there. Can they communicate with us? Perhaps merely we are all too far (and getting farther in the ever expanding universe) to ever touch. Two ships passing in the night.
Latest Review: "The Protectors, The First Coming" by Jonathan Gregory Reed
James Craft
Favorite Author: Lincoln Cole
Currently Reading: Carnivore
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-james-craft.html
Latest Review: "Perdido Bay Blues" by Jacqueline Lane
fav_author_id: 26410

Post by James Craft »

hsimone wrote:In We Are the Ants, Henry is abducted by aliens and is left with a difficult question - does he push the button that will save his planet or let the planet be destroyed?

Do you believe there are other life forms/aliens out there in space or are we the only ones? Do you believe they have an effect on our planet in any way?
I think there are some things out there by simple statistics. Sure, it is difficult for life to be created, but the sheer number of planets and realities makes it likely that it happened more than once.
Latest Review: "Perdido Bay Blues" by Jacqueline Lane
nightnurse
Currently Reading: The Last Humans: Oasis
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nightnurse.html
Latest Review: "Roan" by E. R. Barr
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by nightnurse »

Yes, I do believe in aliens. I would be very conceited to think humans are the only intelligent creatures in the universe. Just like when people thought the world was flat, sometime in the future we will be introduced to other creatures who may or may not look like us. If they are advanced enough to reach out to us I hope they will be friendly and willing to assist us and teach us. I hope they come in my life time I would really like to meet them. I love to learn about other cultures found on the Earth and persons from another galaxy would be interesting.
Latest Review: "Roan" by E. R. Barr
Book_Wyrm
Currently Reading: The Brendan Voyage
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-wyrm.html

Post by Book_Wyrm »

I agree with those who say it just makes no sense at all that humans are the ONLY sentient (sometimes ...) life form in the universe. That would be a heckuva waste of a good universe.
NovelConversations
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by NovelConversations »

No. And The Fifth Wave is really annoying on this topic.
Wasif Ahmed
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Currently Reading: The Face of Fear
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wasif-ahmed.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00THRCA6E
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Wasif Ahmed »

hsimone wrote:In We Are the Ants, Henry is abducted by aliens and is left with a difficult question - does he push the button that will save his planet or let the planet be destroyed?

Do you believe there are other life forms/aliens out there in space or are we the only ones? Do you believe they have an effect on our planet in any way?
Yes. Offcourse. I am a firm believer that somewhere out there, there exist other life forms. And I believe that these life forms may have the capacity to think as well.
When people say you've changed, it just means that you have stopped living your life, their way.
sourav15
Currently Reading: Percy Jackson: Heroes of Olympus
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sourav15.html
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by sourav15 »

I don't think there are any aliens. Up until this point there has been no scientific discoveries made to indicate life forms in any other part of the universe.
Also, since even life in our planet needed a lot (a really large number) of factors in favour, it's really very very improbable that life parallely appeared in some other place having all the favoured conditions met. Though we can't be sure right now. As there are similar earth-like planets being discovered.
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E Tavel, MD
Mark Johnson
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mark-johnson.html
Latest Review: "USA, Inc." by Larry Kahaner

Post by Mark Johnson »

What I think would be interesting is the effect it would have on people's belief systems if aliens were real. How would Christianity respond to aliens? Couldn't you say God created aliens also? Would they demonize the aliens? Would they label them as some kind of cult? Would they welcome them? It would be interesting how they would respond.
Latest Review: "USA, Inc." by Larry Kahaner
Janetleighgreen
Favorite Author: Janet Leigh Green
Currently Reading: Before She Disappeared
Bookshelf Size: 204
fav_author_id: 42198

Post by Janetleighgreen »

ramblinggnomes wrote:My personal belief is that there must be aliens. The universe is infinite, the probability of our planet being the only one that has the conditions for life is pretty slim. Most scientists will say the same.
I don´t necessarily believe that aliens are similar to us, they may just exist as one-celled organisms, but they definitely exist.
I also, don´t necessarily believe they are interacting with humans either. A lot of the UFO sightings can be explained and I think people are very easy to influence.

I do believe that if there are aliens, one day our paths will cross. However, that probably won´t be for a very, very long time yet.
I agree with you. I remember when I was younger, my family was on vacation and I always stayed up with my dad when we drove all night while my mother and brother slept. One night we were driving out in the boon docks somewhere, and I looked up to see these weird lights. I got so excited, I pointed them out to my dad, and asked him if he believe in aliens. He told me he did. He said that there were so many planets out there that we don't even knew about, so why would God put life on just one. That has always stayed withome me. ?
TangledinText
Currently Reading: The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookfix-blog.html
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks

Post by TangledinText »

Save the planet of course would be the easy answer. I do not believe in aliens though.
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
Megwe85
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-megwe85.html
Latest Review: "Cryptic" by Conrad Luznar

Post by Megwe85 »

Considering the enormous size of the universe, I think it's silly to believe that life only exists on Earth. Scientists have found fossilized organisms in meteorites so it's possible that they have had an effect on Earth. It's an interesting topic and area of study, that's for sure.
Latest Review: "Cryptic" by Conrad Luznar
KAV
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kav.html
Latest Review: "Angelica" by Clabe Polk

Post by KAV »

Yes, I believe that there are other life forms out there, but I don't think they are bothered by our existence. In fact, I don't think they even know that we exist. I always think about the end of Men in Black. I think that the universe is just too big for us to even explore.
Latest Review: "Angelica" by Clabe Polk
psychopathycathy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1344
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-psychopathycathy.html
Latest Review: Notes of Sorrow Songs Of Joy by Robert Lauri

Post by psychopathycathy »

I'd personally like to believe that there is some other life form out there - the universe is too big for us to be alone. Yet, we are so trapped in our little bubble with limited technology and perspectives, that I think it won't matter - for a few million years at least.
Insomniac07
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-insomniac07.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Post by Insomniac07 »

ramblinggnomes wrote:...I do believe that if there are aliens, one day our paths will cross. However, that probably won´t be for a very, very long time yet.
I completely agree with you. I too believe that one day we will meet alien life forms because the universe is too vast and largely unexplored to say aliens do not exist. However, that's not something that is going to happen in the immediate future.
Tommie H Odom
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 1960">Sade Evans</a>
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tommie-h-odom.html

Post by Tommie H Odom »

I really don't believe in aliens but anything is possible. There is a hole in the ozone layer. The Bible speaks of the principalities of darkness and fiery darts. All of this is coming from the second heaven where the devil resides. There are all sorts of things happening all over the world.

Return to “Discuss "We Are the Ants" by Shaun David Hutchinson”