Have you started the book?

Discuss the December 2016 Book of the Month, Nightlord by Garon Whited.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Re: Have you started the book?

Post by Heidi M Simone »

gali wrote:
hsimone wrote:
rovet wrote:
I agree. I am about 40% of the way through, and am losing interest. Just too much going on. Too many things that Eric has to stop and explain. 'losing focus' is a great way of saying it.
Thank you for agreeing. Sometimes, when I read how much others really loved the book, I question 'am I the weird one?' It's nice to know that there are others who don't quite 'love' the read. I agree, there are too many things going on, and then Eric has to explain it all. If the book was more concise, then it could have been a really enjoyable one for me because I generally love fantasy (including vampire) reads. However, I ended up finishing it, and I can't say that enjoyed many aspects of the read.
I agree with you now. I liked the beginning, but now I am starting to lose interest. I decided to quit the book, as I find it hard to become engaged in the tale.
I'm sorry that you didn't find it engaging as well. I was on the verge of quitting multiple times, so I completely understand. But, at least now, you can focus on reading something more to your taste and interest level. :)
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

hsimone wrote:
gali wrote:
hsimone wrote:
Thank you for agreeing. Sometimes, when I read how much others really loved the book, I question 'am I the weird one?' It's nice to know that there are others who don't quite 'love' the read. I agree, there are too many things going on, and then Eric has to explain it all. If the book was more concise, then it could have been a really enjoyable one for me because I generally love fantasy (including vampire) reads. However, I ended up finishing it, and I can't say that enjoyed many aspects of the read.
I agree with you now. I liked the beginning, but now I am starting to lose interest. I decided to quit the book, as I find it hard to become engaged in the tale.
I'm sorry that you didn't find it engaging as well. I was on the verge of quitting multiple times, so I completely understand. But, at least now, you can focus on reading something more to your taste and interest level. :)
Thank you. Life too short to waste it on books not to one's taste. It is a matter of taste though, and others may find it more to their taste.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Heidi M Simone
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

gali wrote:
hsimone wrote:
gali wrote:
Thank you. Life too short to waste it on books not to one's taste. It is a matter of taste though, and others may find it more to their taste.
Well said! I couldn't agree more.
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
alonwhite99
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alonwhite99.html

Post by alonwhite99 »

Not yet, but I am excited to receive and read a book asap. I have been missing a good novel in my hands.
AA1495
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 19636">Out of the Box Awakening</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aa1495.html
Latest Review: YiaYia’s Kitchen by Brianna Koucos Midgley

Post by AA1495 »

littlefrog wrote:I am reading it and am about the half way point. Really like it and I have not lost interest yet. I like how the author builds the characters as they are introduced...and keeps some in mystery. I really can't wait to see where it goes next. Love the weaving of different cultures, religions, worlds, beliefs and ethics. I know I can't say it enough, I like a vampire with ethics.
You've described it well! I'm glad you're enjoying the book so far ☺
Sarah_Khan
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3700">Gone With the Wind</a>
Currently Reading: Circe
Bookshelf Size: 336
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-khan.html
Latest Review: The Formidable King by Alyssa J. Montgomery

Post by Sarah_Khan »

I just started it and I like how easy the book is to read and how relatable the main character is. So far this book seems like a nice, original twist on a vampire story.
jamesabr
Currently Reading: The Gulf
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jamesabr.html
Latest Review: "Adam Exitus" by Nicholas Abdilla
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by jamesabr »

Like you, I found the beginning very original. Sasha's shift from merely nice to completely devoted to him was the most interesting part. I also liked how patient she was with Eric, despite his initial anger upon finding out that he was just turned into a vampire.
Latest Review: "Adam Exitus" by Nicholas Abdilla
Julie Ditton
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 031">Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, Parts 1 & 2</a>
Currently Reading: The Bone Collection
Bookshelf Size: 790
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-ditton.html
Latest Review: "Nightlord: Sunset" by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by Julie Ditton »

I started the book right before Christmas when I discovered this website.
"Oh honestly, don't you two read?"

-Hermione Granger in Harry Potter and the Sorcerer 's Stone
by J.K. Rowling
Latest Review: "Nightlord: Sunset" by Garon Whited
Megwe85
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-megwe85.html
Latest Review: "Cryptic" by Conrad Luznar

Post by Megwe85 »

I have started the book. I'm about 9% in and I'm enjoying how Eric is less like Edward Cullen and more like Wade Wilson (AKA Dead Pool). With all the comments about losing interest in the middle, I'm a bit worried.
Latest Review: "Cryptic" by Conrad Luznar
David Nash
Currently Reading: Slay the Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-david-nash.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill
Reading Device: B009XE0K7W

Post by David Nash »

Just started reading it. Only the first few chapters. I liked the opening. I think the author did a good job at grabbing your attention in the opening lines. He filled in enough information that you had a pretty good idea of the main character's personality, appearance, and general attitude toward life. He immediately put all those things into flux, which made me want to know why (even though I already knew why from the background). I found the dialog to be well written and human sounding. Hoping the rest of the book holds up as well.
Thimble
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 6338">Iron Kissed</a>
Currently Reading: A Wise Man's Fear
Bookshelf Size: 270
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thimble.html
Latest Review: The Captain's Collie by Ace Mask
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Thimble »

I started it and finally finished it. I had a really hard time getting through it, but I'm stubborn. I've read longer books in a shorter time span. As for the beginning, I thought it was original and interest-catching. You only know what's going on based on what Eric is told so it takes a while to figure out all of the initial rules.
"You can never leave footprints that last if you are always walking on tiptoe." - Leymah Gbowee
Donnavila Marie01
Currently Reading: the one
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donnavila-marie01.html
Latest Review: "America, It Was Just An Idea" by Dr. Rayna M. Gangi

Post by Donnavila Marie01 »

I did not yet start the book. as I read the posts, the more that I am motivated to at least start the book. I hope to read it as soon as I finish the book I am reading.
Latest Review: "America, It Was Just An Idea" by Dr. Rayna M. Gangi
Gjacks
Favorite Author: Walt Whitman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gjacks.html
Reading Device: B00DVFLJDS
fav_author_id: 4925

Post by Gjacks »

I have the audiobook for this (I think it was a gift) and I plan on starting it soon. Admittedly, I'm a little apprehensive though as I feel like I'll be like a majority of the other readers here when it comes to a teetering of interest. Even in audiobook form, it's hard to hold attention if the narrative starts to go off track.
atonykamau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-atonykamau.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by atonykamau »

I have started the book and i really loved it.
rjohnston815
Currently Reading: Fix: Sex, Lies & Banking
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rjohnston815.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by rjohnston815 »

I am just starting the book because there was a discussion about another book in the series and I decided to go back and start at book one. I am a few chapters in and so far I am really enjoying it.
Renee Johnston :techie-studyinggray:
Lover of books and life...
Brooklyn, NY

Return to “Discuss "Nightlord" by Garon Whited”