Author possibility: two books out of one book a question

Discuss the November 2016 Book of the Month, Roan: The Tales Of Conor Archer by E. R. Barr.
Seamusberen1955
Favorite Author: E. R. Barr
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 42361
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Roan:The Tales Of Conor Archer

Author possibility: two books out of one book a question

Post by Seamusberen1955 »

I have appreciated everybody's input. You have taught me a lot about my novel. But one of the things that has baffled me is the fact that a fair number of you really have a difficulty with the length. Don't get me wrong, many of you were just fine with it. But a significant minority wanted A shorter book. Some point to that but this is a lot shorter than the Harry Potter novels, many of which I felt way too long, and J.R.R. Tolkien s magnum opus. I'm reminded of Mark twain's satire on James Fenimore Cooper's last of the Mohicans where our hero natty Bumppo is slipping down the Mississippi River. It's a dangerous trip but for page after page after page all you are to know about is what kind of cat brushes are those and what kind of algae is that and why is the part of the rock colored that way rather than the alligators that are about to eat him for the snakes that will buy him or the Indians that will scalp him.

I don't think my book is too long. I needed that time to build a world that was believable and that you could walk in. Without it the story would become very shallow. However there is a way around it. What would you think about splitting the novel into two parts? The first book would end with the Halloween festival and the second book would pick up from there. There would be a few minor editorial changes but the books Would be the same. They would however no longer be standalone books. So let me know what you think, I sure would be interested in your views. From the author E. R. Barr
Craftbunnie
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-craftbunnie.html

Post by Craftbunnie »

While I have not read your book and therefore cannot comment on it specifically, I would like to offer my general opinion on splitting one book into two. I enjoy stand alone books. I do not mind books that are part of a series, but I do have a stipulation that is a huge factor in whether I want to read the next book in the series. No matter how great the first book is if the book ends on a cliffhanger and has no resolution, I do not want to read the next book.

Whether the author cares enough about his/her readers to give them some sort of resolution to hold onto while waiting to read the next book is a big element that helps me decide to read the rest of the story. If the first book doesn't actually end there is no reason for me to want to read the next book, I am just upset with the author for leaving the book as a cliffhanger. I don't mind if the story isn't complete, but there has to be some resolution some conclusion for the book to stop where it does. While the story might not be over, I might not be able to get to the next book right away for whatever reason. Give me something concrete to hold onto while I anticipate the second book.

If this can't happen with the book you have written, or are willing to change, my advice is to leave it as is. In my opinion, the only other reason to change the length is if the material that is making the book so long isn't actually needed in the eyes of the reader, not just in the eyes of the author.
CZCampbell
Currently Reading: Nighthawk: Sons of de Wolfe
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-czcampbell.html
Latest Review: "Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)" by Janet McNulty
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by CZCampbell »

I agree that you needed the time to build up this storyline. With the fantastical nature of the book, it is not something you could just step into and say 'okay, I see where this is headed and why'. As a reader, I really push back against an author saying 'and this happened and that is that' without any explanation. Even with some of the unbelievable events in your story, you provided a sound and understandable background that drew me further in. I honestly did not want it to end.
Latest Review: "Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)" by Janet McNulty

Return to “Discuss "Roan" by E. R. Barr”