Should we be experimenting with our genetic code?

Discuss the November 2016 Book of the Month, Roan: The Tales Of Conor Archer by E. R. Barr.
Jennifer Allsbrook
Favorite Book: Nightlord: Sunset
Currently Reading: An American Hedge Fund
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-allsbrook.html
Latest Review: Audible Book of your Choice by Amazon

Re: Should we be experimenting with our genetic code?

Post by Jennifer Allsbrook »

Let me say one more time for the masses - this is already happening in the somatic cell lines in laboratories all over the world. You may choose to take the "this shouldn't be happening high road" but as I stated previously - that ship has sailed. Please check out CRISPR/Cas 9 info online or on you tube. Nature magazine has a great site on just this topic. Germ line manipulation (DNA in sperm and eggs) is still considered illegal, however, it only takes one unethical scientist. Please educate yourself so that you can have an informed opinion.
Corybarclay
Currently Reading: Warbreaker
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-corybarclay.html
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes

Post by Corybarclay »

I agree with the OP - I think studying DNA and genetic code is crucial to better understanding us as humans (and in reference to every other living organism out there), and is essential for coming up to cures to many illnesses/diseases/malformations. But messing with or altering the structure could lead to some dangerous places! We don't want a Skynet on our hands (though that's a topic of discussion for another day :)).
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes
MarissaW44
Currently Reading: Shadow of the Raven (Book I of Sons of Kings trilogy)
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marissaw44.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by MarissaW44 »

I feel as though mapping, finding patterns, and studying are awesome things to do with our genetic codes! However, when it comes to changing it there's a different feeling surrounding it. The genetic code changes itself, we adapt to environments and our bodies change according to our needs. This isn't a process that is immediate, nor should it be as dramatic changes could end in chaos. Changing the genetic codes would also result in chaos, as some things may never need to change.
dhwanis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dhwanis.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by dhwanis »

I agree with you. While experimenting with our genetic code sounds cool, but I really doubt that it would have a very positive impact on humanity in the long run.
eelavahs-jay
Currently Reading: Island of the Gods
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eelavahs-jay.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Post by eelavahs-jay »

As someone who wanted to become a gene therapist I fully support the exploration and manipulation of genes granted that it's done ethically, in a controlled environment and for the sake of advancing medicine/science.
Anjum
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anjum.html
Latest Review: "The Elf Brief" by Jordan David

Post by Anjum »

ramblinggnomes wrote: 04 Dec 2016, 12:56 I think experimenting with our genetic code is definitely happening and it will be a disaster and marvel at the same time.
I agree. I always wonder how far the human race can advance in science.
Latest Review: "The Elf Brief" by Jordan David
Lincolnshirelass
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Lincolnshirelass »

I think it is acceptable, under the strictest of controls, to stop babies being born with horrible inherited conditions, but is never, and never will be acceptable to select colouring, intellect, etc.
An Eye for an Eye only ends up making the whole world blind.

Mahatma Gandhi
Sakilunamermaid
Currently Reading: Ready Player One
Bookshelf Size: 481
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Sakilunamermaid »

I think mapping DNA to cure diseases would be amazing. I want to think on the positive and helpful side of this issue. I want to think of the benefits, the prolonging of life span and the elimination of genetic disorders and diseases. But there is a lot more to think about with this issue. How long does it take to get the process right?

I recently saw a debate on Warski Live where they discussed DNA mapping and then making artificial intelligence that could perform the task of DNA manipulation. The argument was made that if we mapped DNA we could possibly change human reproduction and become reliant on technology to prolong and continue to reproduce.
jvez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jvez.html
Latest Review: The Providence of Fortune by T. K. Love

Post by jvez »

Mapping DNA has many beneficial medical purposes. There is even a recent study that proposes the use of DNA to create organ transplants, fully scrapping the need to request organs from a human donor.

But I think overusing this technology, like aiming to create flawless humans, is unacceptable. It will be then like drugs which are beneficial medically, but destructive when abused and excessively used for personal consumption.
kelvinmwaniki17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelvinmwaniki17.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by kelvinmwaniki17 »

I think it is acceptable as long as it is for the good of mankind. for example studies in genetics has helped in the advancement of health care which has really helped people live longer and healthier lives.

Return to “Discuss "Roan" by E. R. Barr”