Questions or Advice for the author

Discuss the November 2016 Book of the Month, Roan: The Tales Of Conor Archer by E. R. Barr.
Seamusberen1955
Favorite Author: E. R. Barr
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 42361
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Roan:The Tales Of Conor Archer

Questions or Advice for the author

Post by Seamusberen1955 »

Seamusberen here, the Author of ROAN. I have really enjoyed the comments from people. I tried to answer some questions but perhaps there are more so feel free to ask. Also feel free to give advice, but be nice or I'll send the Morrigan after you!

Thanks you all--I appreciate your sharing.
Jennifer Allsbrook
Favorite Book: Nightlord: Sunset
Currently Reading: An American Hedge Fund
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-allsbrook.html
Latest Review: Audible Book of your Choice by Amazon

Post by Jennifer Allsbrook »

Seamusberen1955 wrote:Seamusberen here, the Author of ROAN. I have really enjoyed the comments from people. I tried to answer some questions but perhaps there are more so feel free to ask. Also feel free to give advice, but be nice or I'll send the Morrigan after you!

Thanks you all--I appreciate your sharing.
I enjoyed the book immensely, and I for one, did not find the book to be too long. I agree that in fantasy, world building, as you stated, is necessary. The chapters were short and flowed into each other well. Also, when writing a story so tied to myth and legend you can not skimp on the details. They provide the threads that ultimately tie the story together into a coherent whole. When I read the comments of other readers regarding repetition, I became a little confused. To me, there was a reason for each portion of the story whether you were character building or world building. Fantasy is a genre that often includes fantastical creatures, epic battles, and in this case, a classic battle of good versus evil. You invested the time in characters that some may not consider pivotal to the plot like Dorothy Martin and other townspeople. However, this built a sense of community that was a key feature of Tinker's Grove. The scenes involving the Second Sight allowed us to step through time to see how past and present all collided bringing the current circumstances that Conor finds himself in into focus. Overall, I found your characters in the fight for good to have depth of character whether they were ancients involved in the fight or young ones entering the battle for the first time. Your characters of evil were well developed and their lust for power and chaos kept me guessing what they would do next. I really enjoyed the role of Morrigan. Her appearance was always significant and prophetic of things to come in the story. Thank you for creating the world of Tinker's Grove and Conor Archer. I look forward to reading your next installment.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I liked your book as well and it sure whetted my appetite for more.

Can you tell us what the next book will be about?
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Seamusberen1955
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Roan:The Tales Of Conor Archer

I really wanted my readers to immerse themselves in the world of Conor Archer. On another form I mentioned how much I like Charles Dickens and I did copy his structure. He wrote long books with short chapters because his novels were first serialized in newspapers. You got to live in the book for a while.

In the next novel, SKELLIG, Conor travels to Ireland to finish his training and discovers the evil in Tinkers Grove was just the tip of the iceberg.
gali

Post by gali »

Seamusberen1955 wrote:I really wanted my readers to immerse themselves in the world of Conor Archer. On another form I mentioned how much I like Charles Dickens and I did copy his structure. He wrote long books with short chapters because his novels were first serialized in newspapers. You got to live in the book for a while.

In the next novel, SKELLIG, Conor travels to Ireland to finish his training and discovers the evil in Tinkers Grove was just the tip of the iceberg.
Well, you succeeded in that. I was so swooped into the world of Conor Archer, I forgot all about the real world while reading.

Thank you. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
greenstripedgiraffe
Currently Reading: The New Strong-Willed Child
Bookshelf Size: 274
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greenstripedgiraffe.html
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris

Post by greenstripedgiraffe »

I found this to be one of the best fantasy books I have read, from a literature standpoint. Much deeper overall than many others. Good job! Apparently, many found it to drag. I didn't really, but it probably could be tightened up to please the overall populace. I did wonder more about Rory. He was one of the more complex characters to me that I would have liked to see more background on. I guess he won't play much in the next installments, unless it's through visions of the past.
"no one down here" --- Up the Down Staircase
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Thank you for opening this topic!

How many books do you plan on writing for this series?
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Seamusberen1955

There will be three books in this series.
Alyssa yutko26
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alyssa-yutko26.html

Post by Alyssa yutko26 »

How do you keep a series running for years?
gali

Post by gali »

Seamusberen1955 wrote:There will be three books in this series.
Cool! Will you continue writing after finishing with this series?
A retired Admin/Mod

ebeth
Currently Reading: The Color of Destiny
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebeth.html
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
Reading Device: B0097BEFA4

Post by ebeth »

How did you come up with the ideas you did for writing the book?
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
greenstripedgiraffe
Currently Reading: The New Strong-Willed Child
Bookshelf Size: 274
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greenstripedgiraffe.html

Post by greenstripedgiraffe »

Are you going to include more history about Rory in the next book(s) ?
"no one down here" --- Up the Down Staircase
Seamusberen1955

Author of ROAN here. I want to talk about questions number nine through 12. I keep a Series running for years quite easily. My novel nearly takes a snippet out of the lives of the characters and tells their stories. But there are a lot of backstories for these characters and those stories are told in my mind and in my daydreams and in my imagining. I think some of those stories will appear in written form especially stories about Troubles and Madoc. They've been through a lot and you might be interested in some of what they've done.

I will continue writing after this series. I love to write and tell stories. The character of Rory takes the role of the trickster in myths. Some have wondered why he seems good at the end of the novel. But remember, the trickster in any story is capable of good and evil but mostly is just a pain in the ass. His role is that of a catalyst. When he's around things change and stuff happens.

Return to “Discuss "Roan" by E. R. Barr”