Who were your least favorite characters?

Discuss the November 2016 Book of the Month, Roan: The Tales Of Conor Archer by E. R. Barr.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Who were your least favorite characters?

Post by gali »

Who were your least favorite characters? Mine was Caithness McNabb and Dr. Nicholas Drake. They were truly evil and I couldn't stand them. I also didn't like Caithness's sons. They were evil just like their mom, especially Raff. I thought Drake got his just deserts and thought that Caithness should have shared his fate.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
LivreAmour217
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

I agree with you, Gali. I couldn't stand the McNabb family, and Drake gave me the creeps!
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
gali

Post by gali »

LivreAmour217 wrote:I agree with you, Gali. I couldn't stand the McNabb family, and Drake gave me the creeps!
Indeed they did! The author portrayed them well!
A retired Admin/Mod

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Vermont Reviews
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 4468">Scam Prevention</a>
Currently Reading: A Roadmap To Career Success
Bookshelf Size: 507
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vermont-reviews.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Vermont Reviews »

Yes Dr. Drake and the McNabb family were not very nice at all.
Vermont Reviews
greenstripedgiraffe
Currently Reading: The New Strong-Willed Child
Bookshelf Size: 274
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greenstripedgiraffe.html
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris

Post by greenstripedgiraffe »

I really hate the Dr. Drake type of character, being evil for the sake of power - however, people with these traits do exist in the world, so I tolerate that style of character because an underlying reality exists beneath the choices made by a character like Dr. Drake.
"no one down here" --- Up the Down Staircase
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris
ebeth
Currently Reading: The Color of Destiny
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebeth.html
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
Reading Device: B0097BEFA4

Post by ebeth »

Yes I have to agree, I can't stand people like that in the real world either, therefore I could not stand them in the book either.
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
Vermont Reviews
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 4468">Scam Prevention</a>
Currently Reading: A Roadmap To Career Success
Bookshelf Size: 507
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vermont-reviews.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Vermont Reviews »

gali wrote:Who were your least favorite characters? Mine was Caithness McNabb and Dr. Nicholas Drake. They were truly evil and I couldn't stand them. I also didn't like Caithness's sons. They were evil just like their mom, especially Raff. I thought Drake got his just desserts and thought that Caithness should have shared his fate.
I agree
Vermont Reviews
Eric Morris
Favorite Author: Brandon Sanderson
Currently Reading: The Other Daughter
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jacnthabox.html
Latest Review: Acts of the Shaddai by Anthony Jones
fav_author_id: 4040

Post by Eric Morris »

Jace was by far my least favorite character; for the entire last half of the book, I'm like "Dude, get over yourself." But he is a victim of one of the most common plot holes of fiction: the Earth-shattering event that somehow all main characters are entirely oblivious of. I mean, I don't care what my neighbor, brother, or neighbor's brother did to me in the past, there are much bigger things than hurt feelings. Every single time I thought Jace was going to move into the role faithful supporter, he backslid. Somehow, the tension between he and Conor always bubbled up to the surface. In the end, the character that was perhaps the most mature in the first half of the book became the biggest snivelling brat for the last half.
Tell me something...You ever dance with the devil in the pale moonlight?
Gnome
Currently Reading: Fly: Goose Girl Retold (Romance a Medieval Fairytale, #3)
Bookshelf Size: 297
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gnome.html
Latest Review: Misreading Judas by Robert Wahler
Reading Device: B00OSKREVG

Post by Gnome »

I felt like Caithness and Dr Drake filled their roles appropriately. I also feel like they were given too much "screen time" to ramble on at points but they more or less did I what they needed to do.

I too feel like Jace was way too caught up on one moment for all the wisdom he was supposed to have. There definitely hits a point where it is counter intuitive to act on emotion and the wisdom should have pointed to that point much sooner than it did.

As I reflect more and more on the book I find myself absolutely loathing Madoc. For lack of a better term, he froze and as a result was useless. His head was (excuse the bluntness) up his ass the entire book but he still expected loyalty and a champion from a son he couldn't bother to even say hello to. Someone has to nearly threaten him to get Madoc to do anything before the final battle. Then he follows a teenager and isn't mentioned again for another 20 pages. It's absolutely maddening that it was Madoc's wife, Madoc's son, Madoc's people, Madoc's kingdom, Madoc's enemy, Madoc's boat.... I'm just going to stop the list there and try to move on from my anger.
gali

Post by gali »

Gnome wrote:I felt like Caithness and Dr Drake filled their roles appropriately. I also feel like they were given too much "screen time" to ramble on at points but they more or less did I what they needed to do.

I too feel like Jace was way too caught up on one moment for all the wisdom he was supposed to have. There definitely hits a point where it is counter intuitive to act on emotion and the wisdom should have pointed to that point much sooner than it did.

As I reflect more and more on the book I find myself absolutely loathing Madoc. For lack of a better term, he froze and as a result was useless. His head was (excuse the bluntness) up his ass the entire book but he still expected loyalty and a champion from a son he couldn't bother to even say hello to. Someone has to nearly threaten him to get Madoc to do anything before the final battle. Then he follows a teenager and isn't mentioned again for another 20 pages. It's absolutely maddening that it was Madoc's wife, Madoc's son, Madoc's people, Madoc's kingdom, Madoc's enemy, Madoc's boat.... I'm just going to stop the list there and try to move on from my anger.
A good point about Madoc. He was irritating with his passivity and demands.
A retired Admin/Mod

Seamusberen1955
Favorite Author: E. R. Barr
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 42361
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Roan:The Tales Of Conor Archer

Post by Seamusberen1955 »

I am the author of ROAN and I was fascinated by the above comments about Jace and Madoc. I don't know if you saw my interview but when I create characters I too am surprised at which direction they go. No matter what I did I just couldn't write Jace out of his funk, wisdom or not. But remember he will be great but he is only 17. He's a shy guy without many close friends and he really feels betrayed by Conor. Notice that his own hurt feelings don't keep him from doing what's right. He whines I know but he rises to the challenge. I do know this much, Jace and Conor are friends forever despite any problems they may have and that will be shown in the books to come.

Now about Madoc. I have been fascinated by this prince of Wales for nearly 40 years. Did you know that he really existed? He is reputed to have discovered America. Google him and have fun looking at his history. By the way, he had a brother named Rory who accompanied him to AMERICA. How cool is that? Anyway, I was surprised that with all his power Madoc refused to become close to Conor. But remember there's more to his story and I hear it on the wind that Madoc's time of dithering is over.
gali

Post by gali »

Seamusberen1955 wrote:I am the author of ROAN and I was fascinated by the above comments about Jace and Madoc. I don't know if you saw my interview but when I create characters I too am surprised at which direction they go. No matter what I did I just couldn't write Jace out of his funk, wisdom or not. But remember he will be great but he is only 17. He's a shy guy without many close friends and he really feels betrayed by Conor. Notice that his own hurt feelings don't keep him from doing what's right. He whines I know but he rises to the challenge. I do know this much, Jace and Conor are friends forever despite any problems they may have and that will be shown in the books to come.

Now about Madoc. I have been fascinated by this prince of Wales for nearly 40 years. Did you know that he really existed? He is reputed to have discovered America. Google him and have fun looking at his history. By the way, he had a brother named Rory who accompanied him to AMERICA. How cool is that? Anyway, I was surprised that with all his power Madoc refused to become close to Conor. But remember there's more to his story and I hear it on the wind that Madoc's time of dithering is over.
Cool! I didn't realize he really existed. I will Google him later.

Good to know he Madoc will be more active in the books to come. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

Gnome
Currently Reading: Fly: Goose Girl Retold (Romance a Medieval Fairytale, #3)
Bookshelf Size: 297
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gnome.html
Latest Review: Misreading Judas by Robert Wahler
Reading Device: B00OSKREVG

Post by Gnome »

Seamusberen1955 wrote: But remember there's more to his story and I hear it on the wind that Madoc's time of dithering is over.
This is wonderful to hear. I hope someone/thing is able to kick him where he needs to be and we see some action. If not action for future books, maybe a backstory. I'm sure he has had a rich and interesting life if only for the murder attempts he's survived.
Ripley3131
Favorite Author: S.E. Sasaki
Currently Reading: reunion in death
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ripley3131.html
Latest Review: "Nightlord: Sunset" by Garon Whited
fav_author_id: 21099

Post by Ripley3131 »

This is an interesting question. For me, whether I like a character or not has nothing to do with whether I find them morally repugnant or not. Yes, the whole McNabb clan, including Dr. Drake, were detestable, but that made them strong characters. I like it when an author can give their readers well-developed characters. These characters did their job well, and as such, I had no problem with them.
My least favorite character, by the time that I had finished the book, was Madoc. His substance was weak, by design, perhaps but weak none the less.
Initially, before I had finished the first half of the book, I found Conor and his new found friends to be a little less than substantial. That problem corrected itself though as time progressed.
Latest Review: "Nightlord: Sunset" by Garon Whited

Return to “Discuss "Roan" by E. R. Barr”