Pacing and style of writing

Discuss the November 2016 Book of the Month, Roan: The Tales Of Conor Archer by E. R. Barr.
lucymn11
Currently Reading: ROOM
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lucymn11.html
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Re: Pacing and style of writing

Post by lucymn11 »

I like the writing so far (I haven't finished it yet) but I agree that some parts are too slow.
Jennifer Allsbrook
Favorite Book: Nightlord: Sunset
Currently Reading: An American Hedge Fund
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-allsbrook.html
Latest Review: Audible Book of your Choice by Amazon

Post by Jennifer Allsbrook »

I like the style of the writing and the pace of the story. I like the way each character is introduced and then you get to know them a little at a time as the story progresses. Each towns-person, all the players on the side of good, and all of the players on the side of evil are well developed.
greenstripedgiraffe
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The New Strong-Willed Child
Bookshelf Size: 274
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greenstripedgiraffe.html
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris

Post by greenstripedgiraffe »

Jennifer Allsbrook wrote:I like the style of the writing and the pace of the story. I like the way each character is introduced and then you get to know them a little at a time as the story progresses. Each towns-person, all the players on the side of good, and all of the players on the side of evil are well developed.
I agree with you on this. One person did say that if people had given Conor information a little more freely, there would be overall less repetition. However, IMO, the pace worked fine. A lot of books written now give out the storyline too quickly, leaving little compelling reason to continue reading through to the end.
"no one down here" --- Up the Down Staircase
Eric Morris
Favorite Author: Brandon Sanderson
Currently Reading: The Other Daughter
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jacnthabox.html
Latest Review: Acts of the Shaddai by Anthony Jones
fav_author_id: 4040

Post by Eric Morris »

Obviously, I was a huge fan of the pacing.

I think the difference of perspective is based on what one reads on a regular basis. As an example, I'm about 150 pages into Clare's Lady Midnight, and I'm not sure a single thing has happened yet; however, I do have a full understanding of the political and social structures of the Nephilim, which I can only assume will play a greater role as the series continues. I appreciate the nuances of fantasy fiction and its desire to tell a full story that stands in a world outside the reader's own existence.

In boxing, some people enjoy Mike Tyson's ability to knock a fool out in under two minutes. I always leaned toward Muhammad Ali or Floyd Mayweather, who are content to tell a wonderful story no matter how long it takes. I'm happy to watch eleven rounds of build for a killer twelfth. It's all about the payoff.

Successful authors are the ones who understand how to reward readers for their time. I think Mr. Barr did this spectacularly. I was very pleased at the end and would have picked up Book 2 immediately, if indeed it existed.
Tell me something...You ever dance with the devil in the pale moonlight?
greenstripedgiraffe
Currently Reading: The New Strong-Willed Child
Bookshelf Size: 274
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greenstripedgiraffe.html

Post by greenstripedgiraffe »

jacnthabox wrote:Obviously, I was a huge fan of the pacing.

I think the difference of perspective is based on what one reads on a regular basis. As an example, I'm about 150 pages into Clare's Lady Midnight, and I'm not sure a single thing has happened yet; however, I do have a full understanding of the political and social structures of the Nephilim, which I can only assume will play a greater role as the series continues. I appreciate the nuances of fantasy fiction and its desire to tell a full story that stands in a world outside the reader's own existence.

In boxing, some people enjoy Mike Tyson's ability to knock a fool out in under two minutes. I always leaned toward Muhammad Ali or Floyd Mayweather, who are content to tell a wonderful story no matter how long it takes. I'm happy to watch eleven rounds of build for a killer twelfth. It's all about the payoff.

Successful authors are the ones who understand how to reward readers for their time. I think Mr. Barr did this spectacularly. I was very pleased at the end and would have picked up Book 2 immediately, if indeed it existed.
Thanks for this assessment. I think you nailed it in my opinion.
"no one down here" --- Up the Down Staircase
Rachaelamb1
Favorite Author: CS Lewis
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... onwitch</a>
Currently Reading: Falling Star
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachaelamb1.html
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco

Post by Rachaelamb1 »

I am about halfway through the book and seriously thinking about giving up on finishing it. For me it is slow because it just seems like day in, day out nothing much happens and then something big will happen and then back to nothing happening again. It just feels like to me that there are a lot of unnecessary days added into the story.
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Rachaelamb1 wrote:I am about halfway through the book and seriously thinking about giving up on finishing it. For me it is slow because it just seems like day in, day out nothing much happens and then something big will happen and then back to nothing happening again. It just feels like to me that there are a lot of unnecessary days added into the story.
There is more action in the second half of the book. Nonetheless, if you don't enjoy it so far, quit it. No need to force yourself to read a book you don't connect to.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
va2016
Favorite Book: The Vatican Protocol
Currently Reading: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance
Bookshelf Size: 716
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-va2016.html
Latest Review: The Mystery of the Hidden Cabin by M.E. Hembroff

Post by va2016 »

I like romance and fast-paced stories,
so I am not sure if I will like this book.

Return to “Discuss "Roan" by E. R. Barr”