Themes

Discuss the November 2016 Book of the Month, Roan: The Tales Of Conor Archer by E. R. Barr.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Themes

Post by Heidi M Simone »

As any reader knows, there are themes in books - lessons that the author wants his/her readers to come away with. Maybe even have these themes apply to his/her readers' lives. What themes do you see in Roan? Can you give an example of where/when you see the theme?
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Janetleighgreen
Favorite Author: Janet Leigh Green
Currently Reading: Before She Disappeared
Bookshelf Size: 204
fav_author_id: 42198

Post by Janetleighgreen »

I think one big theme I've seen throughout this book is the link between Conor and the animals. The animals are an integral part of Conor's success or failure. I think it is a natural thing for animals to be our helpers and I enjoyed the relationship between Conor and Troubles. ?
ebeth
Currently Reading: The Color of Destiny
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebeth.html
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
Reading Device: B0097BEFA4

Post by ebeth »

I have to agree. I'm not very far into the book yet, but I do see the relationship building between Conor and Troubles. Troubles sounds like a cool dog.
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I agree too. I add to that a sense of self (finding strength from within). Another obvious theme is the good vs. evil struggle. Coming of age is another.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
LivreAmour217
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

Self-acceptance is another theme in this book. Conor must accept who and what he is in order to defeat Piasa, and his initial desire to forsake his heritage causes many problems.
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
greenstripedgiraffe
Currently Reading: The New Strong-Willed Child
Bookshelf Size: 274
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greenstripedgiraffe.html
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris

Post by greenstripedgiraffe »

I also see a theme of self-acceptance, but in addition to that, I feel there is a theme of learning how to put the needs of others first. Selflessness instead of selfishness. Not a popular message, though!
"no one down here" --- Up the Down Staircase
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris
Vermont Reviews
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 4468">Scam Prevention</a>
Currently Reading: A Roadmap To Career Success
Bookshelf Size: 507
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vermont-reviews.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Vermont Reviews »

greenstripedgiraffe wrote:I also see a theme of self-acceptance, but in addition to that, I feel there is a theme of learning how to put the needs of others first. Selflessness instead of selfishness. Not a popular message, though!

I like this one.

Vermont Reviews
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Ripley3131
Favorite Author: S.E. Sasaki
Currently Reading: reunion in death
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ripley3131.html
Latest Review: "Nightlord: Sunset" by Garon Whited
fav_author_id: 21099

Post by Ripley3131 »

There are many themes that E. R. Barr has expressed in Roan. Some of the themes, like the good vs. evil, young love, coming of age and communing with the animals, are obvious. Some of the less obvious themes come as the story unfolds:
Should we be manipulating our genetic content for the betterment of mankind?
How much of the ancient Irish folklore is based on fact?
Can ancient paganism and the Christian religion work together to solve problems, like we see happening in this small town of Tinker's Grove?
There are several other themes as well that I believe can speak to the readers on a personal level. This seems to be true from some of the posts that I have read.
Kudos to Barr for spinning a tale that is so deep on so many levels.
Latest Review: "Nightlord: Sunset" by Garon Whited
jamesabr
Currently Reading: The Gulf
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jamesabr.html
Latest Review: "Adam Exitus" by Nicholas Abdilla
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by jamesabr »

I noticed the theme of the need to accept one's differences throughout the novel. From what I could tell, Conor constantly asks if he is changing into something vastly different from what he was throughout the first half of the book. Others tell him to be patient with the change as they keep the reality of it from him. The book wouldn't have been the same if Conor had accepted himself from the beginning, and the character development that occurs displays this theme well.
Latest Review: "Adam Exitus" by Nicholas Abdilla
Seamusberen1955
Favorite Author: E. R. Barr
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 42361
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Roan:The Tales Of Conor Archer

Post by Seamusberen1955 »

FRom the Author: Nothing makes a person more alone than to realize that he or she is different from everyone else. It doesn't matter whether that is some kind of birth defect or some kind of wonderful power lift you above everyone else. A young person wants to belong and not be different. And there is the chance for Glory,because the great ones turn their eyes outside the circle and begin to see other possibilities and there was a whispered promise in the wind that you will be guided and you will be guarded but that you also will be Hurt by others and must suffer. Only then does the hero child burst forth only then can that person change the world.
ChillAndRead
Bookshelf Size: 362
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chillandread.html
Latest Review: "The Bonding" by Imogen Keeper
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by ChillAndRead »

This book provides many themes as we can see. More or less I can see what the guys have already mentioned above. But I believe the self-acceptance is a big issue in a coming of age book! It is one of the feelings youngsters suffer the most these days!
Latest Review: "The Bonding" by Imogen Keeper
Wizard Magic
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wizard-magic.html
Latest Review: "Yesterday" by Samyann

Post by Wizard Magic »

There are many themes in the book. I think the most prevalent themes in the book are the struggle between good and evil and self acceptance. The main character has trouble making decisions because of the internal struggles he has with himself and his conscious. He struggles to figure out who he is and what he believes in.
Latest Review: "Yesterday" by Samyann

Return to “Discuss "Roan" by E. R. Barr”