Conner Archer

Discuss the November 2016 Book of the Month, Roan: The Tales Of Conor Archer by E. R. Barr.
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Conner Archer

Post by Scott »

How do you like Conner Archer? Do you think he made a good hero? What do you like about this character? What do you dislike about him?
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
Janetleighgreen
Favorite Author: Janet Leigh Green
Currently Reading: Before She Disappeared
Bookshelf Size: 204
fav_author_id: 42198

Post by Janetleighgreen »

I like Conor overall; he seemed a little too naive at times, although I guess it makes sense because he was home schooled. He did work at a bar, though, so you would think he would be a little more worldly. I did like that he caught on quickly to some of the things that were going on around him. I also appreciated how the author showed his internal struggle because he had a good heart and he fought against the darkness inside him.
ebeth
Currently Reading: The Color of Destiny
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebeth.html
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
Reading Device: B0097BEFA4

Post by ebeth »

I have to agree. I'm to the part where Conor is trying to figure out what is going on with him. It is nice to see that the dog Troubles is still with him. The dog to me adds a little more oomph if you get my drift. Otherwise Conor does seem naive like you said.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

So far I like him and found him very relatable. I liked the way he took care of his mom. He is a bit naïve. but he is only 17 after all. Troubles is adorable!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
ebeth
Currently Reading: The Color of Destiny
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebeth.html
Reading Device: B0097BEFA4

Post by ebeth »

Yes, you do have a point that he is only 17, so you may find a naive side to him. I also enjoyed how they added Beth into the mix because it showed that just because he is a different person it doesn't mean she isn't going to love him.
Janetleighgreen

ebeth wrote:Yes, you do have a point that he is only 17, so you may find a naive side to him. I also enjoyed how they added Beth into the mix because it showed that just because he is a different person it doesn't mean she isn't going to love him.
I thought that it was a nice touch to show a sweet love for Conor. I also like the little thorn the author threw in about their actions breaking the long standing truce.
gali

Post by gali »

I also like the developing relationship between him and Beth. Remember that the changes came upon him rather quickly, and no one explained anything to him, so I thought he handled them relatively well. I found it a bit irritating that his aunt refused to tell him anything about the changes at first.
A retired Admin/Mod

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Janetleighgreen

gali wrote:I also like the developing relationship between him and Beth. Remember that the changes came upon him rather quickly, and no one explained anything to him, so I thought he handled them relatively well. I found it a bit irritating that his aunt refused to tell him anything about the changes at first.
Yeah, I was a little pissed at her too. If she is to help and protect him, why not give him info?
Vermont Reviews
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 4468">Scam Prevention</a>
Currently Reading: A Roadmap To Career Success
Bookshelf Size: 507
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vermont-reviews.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Vermont Reviews »

Sometimes changes need to be experienced by the individual rather than being told or explained. These are my feelings about that.
Vermont Reviews
Janetleighgreen

Vermont Reviews wrote:Sometimes changes need to be experienced by the individual rather than being told or explained. These are my feelings about that.
Vermont Reviews
I agree, but I just felt he was left struggling too long; it is fine to let the character experience some changes on his own, but he grew up thinking he was normal. His mother hadn't given a hint as to what his life would be like when he went back to Tinkers Grove after she died, then his aunt wouldn't really answer his quescions; everyone just kept telling him to accept what he was, and fulfill his destiny. Not to mention his father stayed away from him too, as teenager he should have been so pissed at them all the time. Ha.

This is just my opinion, I just thought it would've helped the flow of the story. I think this is where some of the repetition came in through the dialogue; also, since it took him so long to accept these changes on his own, you got some repetition and that slowed the pace.
gali

Post by gali »

Janetleighgreen wrote:
Vermont Reviews wrote:Sometimes changes need to be experienced by the individual rather than being told or explained. These are my feelings about that.
Vermont Reviews
I agree, but I just felt he was left struggling too long; it is fine to let the character experience some changes on his own, but he grew up thinking he was normal. His mother hadn't given a hint as to what his life would be like when he went back to Tinkers Grove after she died, then his aunt wouldn't really answer his quescions; everyone just kept telling him to accept what he was, and fulfill his destiny. Not to mention his father stayed away from him too, as teenager he should have been so pissed at them all the time. Ha.

This is just my opinion, I just thought it would've helped the flow of the story. I think this is where some of the repetition came in through the dialogue; also, since it took him so long to accept these changes on his own, you got some repetition and that slowed the pace.
Good point Vermont Reviews, but I agree with Janetleighgreen on all points. I feel that if he had some info, he would have embraced his fate more easily.
A retired Admin/Mod

Vermont Reviews
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 4468">Scam Prevention</a>

Great thanks so very much for the reply.
Vermont Reviews
greenstripedgiraffe
Currently Reading: The New Strong-Willed Child
Bookshelf Size: 274
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greenstripedgiraffe.html
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris

Post by greenstripedgiraffe »

Conor is overall a pretty good character. He doesn't seem to be developed as much as Jace. I agree with some of the others that it feels as though Conor is left in the dark a bit too long. Conor appears to be somewhat of a reluctant hero type, but it's a bit more complex overall for that. But, to give the guy a break - it IS pretty freakish to be turning into something not human, or to find out that you are really a whole ton older than you thought you were. Confusing too, to have all those different voices and perspectives manifesting themselves to you - between Rory, Aunt Emily, the Abbot and others... That's a lot to sort through, especially when you are just a kid in experience.
"no one down here" --- Up the Down Staircase
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris
Vermont Reviews

Nice one greenstripedgiraff.

Vermont Reviews
James Craft
Favorite Author: Lincoln Cole
Currently Reading: Carnivore
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-james-craft.html
Latest Review: "Perdido Bay Blues" by Jacqueline Lane
fav_author_id: 26410

Post by James Craft »

The byronic/reluctant hero is a good trope. I didn't like him too much, but that could be a personal preference of stylistic choices rather than the character himself.
Latest Review: "Perdido Bay Blues" by Jacqueline Lane

Return to “Discuss "Roan" by E. R. Barr”