Are you going to continue with the series?

Discuss the November 2016 Book of the Month, Roan: The Tales Of Conor Archer by E. R. Barr.

Are you going to continue with the series?

Yes
76%
No
24%

Total votes: 17

gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Re: Are you going to continue with the series?

Post by gali »

Janetleighgreen wrote:
Jennifer Allsbrook wrote:I become rather invested in the characters and world in which I immerse myself will reading stories such as this. If there are other books in a series, I will read them. Many people made comments about the length of this story. I didn't find it to be too long. Yes, it is a time investment, but the payoff is a rich, and layered reality that can carry the reader away from the norms of everyday life. I don't know about most of you, but to me that is one of the main reasons why I enjoy reading.
I agree and I usually don't mind lengthy books, I tend to gravitate to them; however, this one seemed to drag for me. I agree with gnome or hsimone, I can't remember which one said it, but there were so many details it took me away from the action and slowed the pace way down. Details are good and are a must in a great story, but it's easy to get bogged down; but some folks like a lot of detail, so to each his own.
I agree as well. I love long books as well, but this book got bogged down by too many details.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
MarisaRose
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MarisaRose »

I'm glad to see that most people responded yes to continuing this series! I definitely did. Although I had some issues with this novel (it definitely dragged in places), I found Conor to be very likable; I love that he is a flawed hero. Also, I really enjoyed the mix of Irish and Native American folklore, it seems like this series isn't going to be the typical fantasy series. My biggest motivation for continuing the series is the author's writing style! I really think her prose captured me even more than the story!
lucymn11
Currently Reading: ROOM
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lucymn11.html
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by lucymn11 »

MarisaRose wrote:I'm glad to see that most people responded yes to continuing this series! I definitely did. Although I had some issues with this novel (it definitely dragged in places), I found Conor to be very likable; I love that he is a flawed hero. Also, I really enjoyed the mix of Irish and Native American folklore, it seems like this series isn't going to be the typical fantasy series. My biggest motivation for continuing the series is the author's writing style! I really think her prose captured me even more than the story!
I agree! I'm not finished with it but I will most likely continue with the series. :D
greenstripedgiraffe
Currently Reading: The New Strong-Willed Child
Bookshelf Size: 274
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greenstripedgiraffe.html
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris

Post by greenstripedgiraffe »

I didn't vote. I would be willing to read the next book, but it may depend on whether i have book budget when it comes out or not =) At least book one did not end with a major cliffhanger to drive you nuts!
"no one down here" --- Up the Down Staircase
Eric Morris
Favorite Author: Brandon Sanderson
Currently Reading: The Other Daughter
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jacnthabox.html
Latest Review: Acts of the Shaddai by Anthony Jones
fav_author_id: 4040

Post by Eric Morris »

There's absolutely no way I WOULDN'T continue this series. I've reviewed several books for OBC and read a good deal more based on the reviews; Mr. Barr, to me, is one of the standout authors that will be remaining on my radar for a while to come. I can't wait for Volume 2.
Tell me something...You ever dance with the devil in the pale moonlight?
greenstripedgiraffe
Currently Reading: The New Strong-Willed Child
Bookshelf Size: 274
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greenstripedgiraffe.html

Post by greenstripedgiraffe »

jacnthabox wrote:There's absolutely no way I WOULDN'T continue this series. I've reviewed several books for OBC and read a good deal more based on the reviews; Mr. Barr, to me, is one of the standout authors that will be remaining on my radar for a while to come. I can't wait for Volume 2.

We need a "like" button or an "up vote" option in the forums :D I also feel that the author of Roan is a standout author.
"no one down here" --- Up the Down Staircase
Gnome
Currently Reading: Fly: Goose Girl Retold (Romance a Medieval Fairytale, #3)
Bookshelf Size: 297
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gnome.html
Latest Review: Misreading Judas by Robert Wahler
Reading Device: B00OSKREVG

Post by Gnome »

I haven't decided if I'm going to read the next book and can't actually answer the poll because of it. This wasn't a bad book and I don't regret reading it but I'm. It sure if there's enough that I care about in the ending to want to know more. I have a feeling the Conor is going to be the only character to "advance" to the next book, I'm not sure how I feel about that. Where I stand right now Conor and Beth's relationship was shaping to be one of the most interesting parts to the story. I don't know if I have resolved myself to how that developed and its effect on other relationships.

I think reading the next book will depend on where I am in life/what my "to read" list looks like when it comes out.
Rachaelamb1
Favorite Author: CS Lewis
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... onwitch</a>
Currently Reading: Falling Star
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachaelamb1.html
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco

Post by Rachaelamb1 »

I only got halfway through this one and only then because I was motivated to read a BOTM. I don't think I will be reading the second.
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco
CZCampbell
Currently Reading: Nighthawk: Sons of de Wolfe
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-czcampbell.html
Latest Review: "Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)" by Janet McNulty
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by CZCampbell »

Absolutely! I feel as though we have hardly scratched the surface of Conor Archer's tale.
Latest Review: "Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)" by Janet McNulty

Return to “Discuss "Roan" by E. R. Barr”