How did you like the beginning?

Discuss the November 2016 Book of the Month, Roan: The Tales Of Conor Archer by E. R. Barr.
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

How did you like the beginning?

Post by Scott »

How did you like the beginning of the November Book of the Month, Roan? Did it pull you in well?

I remember becoming very intrigued in the story about after the scene at the water fountain after Archer had been bitten. There was a lot of suspense at that point built around the disorientation of Archer and by extension the reader not really knowing what was going on.

That kind of thing can be very hit or miss because being confused can prevent the reader from becoming engrossed. Nonetheless, in this case, it worked to get my interest. I think it depends on the quality of the writing being able to get the reader to feel what is going on despite the confusion. In other words, we need to relate to the character's feeling of confusion as if we were in the situation.

What do you think? When did you become engrossed in the story?
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
Janetleighgreen
Favorite Author: Janet Leigh Green
Currently Reading: Before She Disappeared
Bookshelf Size: 204
fav_author_id: 42198

Post by Janetleighgreen »

Scott wrote:How did you like the beginning of the November Book of the Month, Roan? Did it pull you in well?

I remember becoming very intrigued in the story about after the scene at the water fountain after Archer had been bitten. There was a lot of suspense at that point built around the disorientation of Archer and by extension the reader not really knowing what was going on.

That kind of thing can be very hit or miss because being confused can prevent the reader from becoming engrossed. Nonetheless, in this case, it worked to get my interest. I think it depends on the quality of the writing being able to get the reader to feel what is going on despite the confusion. In other words, we need to relate to the character's feeling of confusion as if we were in the situation.

I agree, the fountain scene was nicely done. I think what got me was the man watching him in the bar while he was singing. I wanted to know more. I really love this story.
ebeth
Currently Reading: The Color of Destiny
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebeth.html
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
Reading Device: B0097BEFA4

Post by ebeth »

At first I didn't think it would be something I would be interesting in reading, but I admit it does have me intrigued. I just got to the chapter A Gathering Crowd. I think what had me engrossed was when the bird was flying by the bus. Then when Conor had to be dragged off the bus afterwards. This is a very different book than what I am used to reading, but so far it's got me sucked in.
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Janetleighgreen wrote:
Scott wrote:How did you like the beginning of the November Book of the Month, Roan? Did it pull you in well?

I agree, the fountain scene was nicely done. I think what got me was the man watching him in the bar while he was singing. I wanted to know more. I really love this story.
This pretty much sums up the point when I became hooked - the man at the bar intently watching Conor. Then, when Conor was bitten and the fountain scene.

The mysterious part of the book has me intrigued and I love every bit of it!
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
BrandyBeaudin
Currently Reading: unEnchanted (An unfortunate tale)
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brandybeaudin.html
Latest Review: "My Trip to Adele" by A.I.Alyaseer, R.I.Alyaseer
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by BrandyBeaudin »

This book is really intense! It's part of my normal genre so for me to fall in love with it was almost to easy but the part that really got me was the bar scene! I can't wait to finish and see what happens next!
Latest Review: "My Trip to Adele" by A.I.Alyaseer, R.I.Alyaseer
Rachel1019
Currently Reading: A Dance with Dragons
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel1019.html
Latest Review: "The Understanding" by Dennis Pennefather

Post by Rachel1019 »

The book got me pulled in from the very beginning. The mysterious things that begin to happen with no explanation makes me want to know more. He gets bitten and meets the woman at the fountain, and the reader knows as much about them and what they are talking about as Conor does. Because of the fact that we are forced to find out information when Conor finds out about it, makes me want to read the next part and the next and so on. I got so intrigued when I first picked it up, that I spent close to four hours in a row reading it, until I was too exhausted to continue. This is fascinating and I love that the reader is a bit confused, because it makes me more determined to read it, to find out what happens.
Latest Review: "The Understanding" by Dennis Pennefather
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I agree with all. The opening drew me in immediately. I found it very intense and was pulled in by the fountain scene. It certainly whet my appetite for more.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
LivreAmour217
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

I'm in agreement with everyone else--the fountain scene had me hooked. I wanted to know the significance of what Rory did, as it was obvious that he wasn't your garden variety weirdo!
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
Aohanlon86
Favorite Author: Charlaine Harris
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amcdanel86.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi
fav_author_id: 3791

Post by Aohanlon86 »

I like the old man on the boat. the auther has him describe the fog was well done. the memory of his grandma telling him the lengend was well told. i am not sure why the willow glowed and were singing but at least he was safe from the monster

-- 13 Nov 2016, 06:04 --

I have now gotten past the bar and water fountain scene. I found that I was confused on why he was bitten and what dark ones are and roan bulls are. I wish the author would of put a glossary in like some books do to explain some of the stuff in the book.
Andrea O'Hanlon
Twisted Creations Home & Bath
Author
Jennifer Allsbrook
Favorite Book: Nightlord: Sunset
Currently Reading: An American Hedge Fund
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-allsbrook.html
Latest Review: Audible Book of your Choice by Amazon

Post by Jennifer Allsbrook »

The opening of the story was a surprise with the experience of Walt's near escape of the river monster. When I first got the book this is as far as I read. I stopped for a few days and neglected picking up the book in favor of my more favored romance/erotic titles. Since I had ordered the book so that I could participate in the discussions online, I picked the book back up on Friday. Once Conor came on scene, I liked his character immediately. The encounter with the biker, Rory, and the fountain scene, the death of Conor's mother and his bus trip to Tinker's Grove, all carried me into the story right along with Conor as he began his journey. I didn't feel confused but instead looked forward to turning the page to find out what was next for Conor. I think the author does provide an air of mystery that I found intriguing and this same mysterious quality was retained throughout the story.
Gnome
Currently Reading: Fly: Goose Girl Retold (Romance a Medieval Fairytale, #3)
Bookshelf Size: 297
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gnome.html
Latest Review: Misreading Judas by Robert Wahler
Reading Device: B00OSKREVG

Post by Gnome »

I'm not sure I'm "hooked" quite yet, I just finished the "Dreams and Visions" chapter.

There are certainly some intense scenes but I'm not riveted. I think it's a style thing right now. I love the flow and enjoy the chapter breaks/pacing but it feels like there something extra bogging it down. The author spends so much time describing a moment (each moment is well done, I grew up outside of Chicago and easily place where all the action took place using the descriptions), but there are so many moments being described that the action breaks. I felt rushes of action where Conner has a literal life or death journey where we pause to look at the scenery. Then the owl reminds us Conner needs to be somewhere now! But oh hey, backstory.

I'm hoping things pick up a bit in the next chapter or at least that the pacing smooths itself out.
greenstripedgiraffe
Currently Reading: The New Strong-Willed Child
Bookshelf Size: 274
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greenstripedgiraffe.html
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris

Post by greenstripedgiraffe »

Still reading this. The beginning was a bit rough for me. I really thought I was going to dislike the book. I kept going because it was the book of the month, and I wanted to join in the conversation - haha! But, now, I am completely engrossed, although there is still quite some mystery happening. IMO, this is very well written as far as how the plot is strung out, just enough to keep you interested, but not spilling the beans too soon. I'm at a point where I am expecting the plot line to pick up speed any time now, so if it continues slowly dripping out information, I may change my mind about how well-written it is. For now, I am still enjoying this.
"no one down here" --- Up the Down Staircase
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris
Vermont Reviews
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 4468">Scam Prevention</a>
Currently Reading: A Roadmap To Career Success
Bookshelf Size: 507
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vermont-reviews.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Vermont Reviews »

Rachel1019 wrote:The book got me pulled in from the very beginning. The mysterious things that begin to happen with no explanation makes me want to know more. He gets bitten and meets the woman at the fountain, and the reader knows as much about them and what they are talking about as Conor does. Because of the fact that we are forced to find out information when Conor finds out about it, makes me want to read the next part and the next and so on. I got so intrigued when I first picked it up, that I spent close to four hours in a row reading it, until I was too exhausted to continue. This is fascinating and I love that the reader is a bit confused, because it makes me more determined to read it, to find out what happens.

This is how I felt also.

Vermont Reviews
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Rachaelamb1
Favorite Author: CS Lewis
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... onwitch</a>
Currently Reading: Falling Star
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachaelamb1.html
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco

Post by Rachaelamb1 »

The fountain scene is where I became interested, but I'm halfway through now and losing interest quickly. There seems to be a whole lot of waiting around with just little things here and there happening. Still hoping to finish the book though.
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco
Guppy
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-guppy.html
Latest Review: "Aftermath" by Gary Gaudin

Post by Guppy »

Loving this book so far. I was surprised that Walt survived the river monster encounter, and like most of you I feel just as confused as Conor. I was hooked from the bite scene.
Latest Review: "Aftermath" by Gary Gaudin

Return to “Discuss "Roan" by E. R. Barr”