What Makes You Different?

Discuss the November 2016 Book of the Month, Roan: The Tales Of Conor Archer by E. R. Barr.
lv lewis
Currently Reading: The Fate of the Tearling
Bookshelf Size: 221
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Re: What Makes You Different?

Post by lv lewis »

I'm an introvert in real life, but an extrovert online. Maybe I'm not very different if there are others out there like me :)
ToPaintwithWords
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by ToPaintwithWords »

I am a mother of three adult "special needs" children (BP +ADHD, dyslexia, and depression) who homeschooled them for all or most of their education. I also have Adult ADD and MDD and find it hard at times to either get started or to stay on task. Most of my life people have viewed me as "odd", "strange" or nerdy because I spent a lot of time reading, knew esoteric subjects or had interests that were considered "white" and not acceptable. I am physically awkward and don't know what to do with my hands or feet at times.

As I have reached my senior years, I have gradually come to accept my differences and even to find some pride in my writing and speaking abilities. But my shyness has degenerated to social phobia, and I am unable to stay at my house of worship for more than 15 minutes after the program before I start to feel like the walls are closing in.
himavinay
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-himavinay.html

Post by himavinay »

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
greenstripedgiraffe
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The New Strong-Willed Child
Bookshelf Size: 274
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greenstripedgiraffe.html
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris

Post by greenstripedgiraffe »

ToPaintwithWords wrote:I am a mother of three adult "special needs" children (BP +ADHD, dyslexia, and depression) who homeschooled them for all or most of their education. I also have Adult ADD and MDD and find it hard at times to either get started or to stay on task. Most of my life people have viewed me as "odd", "strange" or nerdy because I spent a lot of time reading, knew esoteric subjects or had interests that were considered "white" and not acceptable. I am physically awkward and don't know what to do with my hands or feet at times.

As I have reached my senior years, I have gradually come to accept my differences and even to find some pride in my writing and speaking abilities. But my shyness has degenerated to social phobia, and I am unable to stay at my house of worship for more than 15 minutes after the program before I start to feel like the walls are closing in.
Hat's off to you! Life is not always easy for everyone, and thriving in this world filled with tons of people who don't always understand you is definitely note-worthy.
"no one down here" --- Up the Down Staircase
EmersonRose
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... nkheart</a>
Currently Reading: The Eye of the World (Wheel of Time, #1)
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emersonrose.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by EmersonRose »

My two brother and I all have dyslexia. We were all diagnosed fairly young, as the middle child, I think I was about seven. I was homeschooled at the time which was very helpful. I am a stubborn person and used to tell people I was only slightly dyslexic because I learned to read easier than either of my brother. I of course later realized that dyslexia is not just about how quick you learn to read and have realized how much my dyslexia has affected my learning and how much not telling teachers affected my learning. I kept it a secret from whoever I could because I watched other students with similar learning disabilities get treated differently, basically as though they were stupid. But this made it very hard for me to ask for help, and that is an issue I still deal with. I am now proud of my dyslexia and want to become a dyslexia tutor to help others.
iano9
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by iano9 »

I had a friend who was born with a leg disability. The bones in his left leg were twisted 180 degrees so he couldn't run for most of his life. He was constantly made fun of because of this and after a while he began to be alone. He kept moving schools and wouldn't make any friends because of this for about a year. In 7th grade he had a surgery on his leg and they had to twist the bones in it 180 degrees, add several plates to his ankle, knee and his shin. After that he was just fine but this is proof that he was different and teased for it even though it was not his fault
Diving doc
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diving-doc.html
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes

Post by Diving doc »

As a child, I had a pretty bad bike accident, and as a result, spent most of my teenage years covering my mouth when I spoke to hide the scar.

Fortunately as an adult, I've accepted it, and most people say my smile is one of my best features.

Unfortunately, I think we live in a time when most people are too focused on the buzzing of their Facebook or Twitter account to actually look someone in the face long enough to notice a scar.
rssllue
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

Wow! Good thing your teeth didn't get knocked out!

And I completely agree with how our society is today. Looking somebody in the eyes and focusing our attention on them seems to be sadly slipping away. Not a good thing to say the least.
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
greenstripedgiraffe
Currently Reading: The New Strong-Willed Child
Bookshelf Size: 274
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greenstripedgiraffe.html

Post by greenstripedgiraffe »

Swara Sangeet wrote:
greenstripedgiraffe wrote:I'm basically not quite normal. I look fairly normal, and most people think I am, but I have a bit of something "off" that has not yet been categorized or quantified. I have significant troubles fitting in socially. It might be slight Attention Deficit Disorder (no Hyperactivity in there, though). I might have a little bit of autistic tendencies (I have at least one child on the spectrum, but they are both worse than I am). I have never mastered the art of "small talk," largely because I don't understand how it works. I over-analyze everything and am considered to be very logical. I tend to be blunt and tactless. I know these tendencies and work really hard to overcome the socially awkward part, but I haven't mastered that yet either - HA!
You don't have to worry AT ALL. I think you're perfectly normal. Over-analyzing stuff would make you a WONDERFUL thinker. I'm sure that you're pretty creative as well! Being blunt is a good thing; frankness is honesty, according to me. May you always be happy in life!

you are very, very kind! thank you! I was picked on all the time as a kid, which is why I know there's something not normal about me. But, over time I have learned how to blend in better :) I do have to watch what I say often, if I want to keep friends! My current job is to analyze quantitative and qualitative data - I guess that's good for an over-thinker!
"no one down here" --- Up the Down Staircase
Diving doc

Post by Diving doc »

rssllue wrote:Wow! Good thing your teeth didn't get knocked out!

And I completely agree with how our society is today. Looking somebody in the eyes and focusing our attention on them seems to be sadly slipping away. Not a good thing to say the least.
Actually most of my front teeth are a mixture of veneers and crowns. My parents had a very good dentist who retired to the Algarve a couple of years afterwards. I try to think it's unrelated, but we probably bought half his villa. :?
rssllue

Post by rssllue »

Sorry to hear that. I hope that it hasn't affected your day to day life too much in a negative way.

At least you guys were able to make him smile with the villa after he worked on so many other smiles in his career. ;) :lol:

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
Diving doc

Post by Diving doc »

rssllue wrote:Sorry to hear that. I hope that it hasn't affected your day to day life too much in a negative way.

At least you guys were able to make him smile with the villa after he worked on so many other smiles in his career. ;) :lol:
I like to think it's protected me from vanity :lol:
rssllue

Post by rssllue »

Nice way to look at it. ;)

heshma_m
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heshma-m.html

Post by heshma_m »

I think we all have something that differs us from others, whether it is a disability or something else. In my case, it is my anxiety. I am a socially awkward person. I become really anxious and nervous when I am with unknown people and even sometimes when I am with familiar people. It depends on how much I am comfortable with that person. Sometimes some situations make me so anxious that I start to get panic and overwhelmed. But I am really trying to get over it and hoping some day I will.
Pookabooks
Currently Reading: Eragon
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pookabooks.html
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks

Post by Pookabooks »

greenstripedgiraffe wrote:I'm basically not quite normal. I look fairly normal, and most people think I am, but I have a bit of something "off" that has not yet been categorized or quantified. I have significant troubles fitting in socially. It might be slight Attention Deficit Disorder (no Hyperactivity in there, though). I might have a little bit of autistic tendencies (I have at least one child on the spectrum, but they are both worse than I am). I have never mastered the art of "small talk," largely because I don't understand how it works. I over-analyze everything and am considered to be very logical. I tend to be blunt and tactless. I know these tendencies and work really hard to overcome the socially awkward part, but I haven't mastered that yet either - HA!

You sound very similar to my husband. He has the very sam issues and has been trying to work on them as long as I've known him. He always feels like he is weird and different from everyone else and is often self conscious of it, then beats himself up about it. I try to tell him there are many people like him out there and we all have our own strengths and weaknesses.

-- 10 Dec 2016, 13:26 --

I don't have any sort of physical or mental abnormality, thankfully. I commend all of you who have gone through these various trials and come out better for it!!

The thing that popped into my mind was that I have always felt kind of ostracized within my family because I am the only one with any real "religious" beliefs. They look at me weird and it feels like they question my sanity sometimes. I know everyone has their own beliefs but I don't think I'm THAT much of a weirdo. But maybe a little. 8)
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks

Return to “Discuss "Roan" by E. R. Barr”