What Makes You Different?

Discuss the November 2016 Book of the Month, Roan: The Tales Of Conor Archer by E. R. Barr.
greenstripedgiraffe
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The New Strong-Willed Child
Bookshelf Size: 274
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greenstripedgiraffe.html
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris

Re: What Makes You Different?

Post by greenstripedgiraffe »

Janetleighgreen wrote:
greenstripedgiraffe wrote:I'm basically not quite normal. I look fairly normal, and most people think I am, but I have a bit of something "off" that has not yet been categorized or quantified. I have significant troubles fitting in socially. It might be slight Attention Deficit Disorder (no Hyperactivity in there, though). I might have a little bit of autistic tendencies (I have at least one child on the spectrum, but they are both worse than I am). I have never mastered the art of "small talk," largely because I don't understand how it works. I over-analyze everything and am considered to be very logical. I tend to be blunt and tactless. I know these tendencies and work really hard to overcome the socially awkward part, but I haven't mastered that yet either - HA!
I think you are lovely just the way you are. I feel there are some positives in being blunt and to the point; you can learn to be more tactful. I'm happy you're a part of our group!

:oops: That is very kind of you! I love being in this group - it is the best forum group I've seen so far :D
"no one down here" --- Up the Down Staircase
rssllue
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

hsimone wrote:Thank you, gali and psychopathycathy, for your kind words. :) Also, thank you for sharing, as well.

That's a good thought, rssllue. You are right, we all have something that makes us different, and it's the understanding that what's on the inside that counts, not the outside. I 100% agree with this. I also agree that God doesn't play favorites.
God definitely made us all different because He obviously likes variety in His creation. The differences that we all have, no matter what form they take, give such awesome variety in this life. If we were all the same, how much fun would that be? It is not so much about better or worse, but with the proper perspective, it is about unique and wonderfully made.
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
LivreAmour217
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

rssllue wrote:
hsimone wrote:Thank you, gali and psychopathycathy, for your kind words. :) Also, thank you for sharing, as well.

That's a good thought, rssllue. You are right, we all have something that makes us different, and it's the understanding that what's on the inside that counts, not the outside. I 100% agree with this. I also agree that God doesn't play favorites.
God definitely made us all different because He obviously likes variety in His creation. The differences that we all have, no matter what form they take, give such awesome variety in this life. If we were all the same, how much fun would that be? It is not so much about better or worse, but with the proper perspective, it is about unique and wonderfully made.
Well said! :D
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
Jennifer Allsbrook
Favorite Book: Nightlord: Sunset
Currently Reading: An American Hedge Fund
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-allsbrook.html
Latest Review: Audible Book of your Choice by Amazon

Post by Jennifer Allsbrook »

I have never had a disability that I had to face but I was picked on growing up. I was a major tomboy who was very athletic and I loved to run and play football. All my next door neighbors were boys so I just played with them and never got into dolls or dressing frilly and such. Once I hit puberty though things changed drastically for me. I was still the athlete and tomboy but my body didn't fit that role anymore. I grew to be very busty very quickly and by seventh grade I began to be picked on unmercifully. I continued to run track, play basketball or softball all the way through high school. I also had trouble dating boys my age that I had grown up playing ball with. I had to date guys older than me by a few years. I once asked one of my guy friends why this was the case and he just said it would be weird to date "one of the guys". I still am the "butt" of jokes from time to time...oh wait, wrong body part...Women who have surgery to become busty just don't know what they are in for...the comments can be embarrassing.
rssllue
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

LivreAmour217 wrote:
rssllue wrote:

Well said! :D
Thank you very much! :tiphat: It is greatly appreciated!

-- 14 Nov 2016, 02:32 --
Jennifer Allsbrook wrote:I have never had a disability that I had to face but I was picked on growing up. I was a major tomboy who was very athletic and I loved to run and play football. All my next door neighbors were boys so I just played with them and never got into dolls or dressing frilly and such. Once I hit puberty though things changed drastically for me. I was still the athlete and tomboy but my body didn't fit that role anymore. I grew to be very busty very quickly and by seventh grade I began to be picked on unmercifully. I continued to run track, play basketball or softball all the way through high school. I also had trouble dating boys my age that I had grown up playing ball with. I had to date guys older than me by a few years. I once asked one of my guy friends why this was the case and he just said it would be weird to date "one of the guys". I still am the "butt" of jokes from time to time...oh wait, wrong body part...Women who have surgery to become busty just don't know what they are in for...the comments can be embarrassing.
I would hope that as you got older into adulthood that the jokes tapered off when the males you were around matured (at least somewhat) and outgrew such things. It must have been somewhat embarrassing for you to be singled out in that way. I am sorry for your having to go through that.
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
Sindhu Srinath
Currently Reading: Last Dance
Bookshelf Size: 272
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sindhu-srinath.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill
Reading Device: B06Y66GMC5

Post by Sindhu Srinath »

hsimone wrote:Conor has a slight deformity called syndactyly. It's essentially a condition in which the fingers and/or toes or wholly or partially connected. Because of this condition, Conor sometimes gets talked about and looked at, which can make him feel uncomfortable.

Can you relate to Roan? Do you have something that may separate you from others? Physical or not? Or perhaps there is something in your family that you have may have resulted in embarrassment if/when talked about?

For me, I think the biggest thing growing up was the fact that I have three older siblings with learning disabilities. My parents, back then, were slightly embarrassed to admit that three of their children had any sort of differences. I think this is due to the stigma from the past. Nowadays, luckily, it isn't the case at all. However, this confused me as a child. So, when a classmate (that I wasn't sure if he teased me because he liked me or he was just a jerk) asked me about one of my sisters potentially being disabled, I became flustered and evaded the question. That led to embarrassment of bringing friends home or talking about my family in general. I was afraid of what people would think of me. When I reached high school, most of that faded away as both my parents and myself became more accepting and less worried. Now, we're good. Growing up in my household has actually led me into teaching children with special needs, so it all worked out well. :)
Thanks for sharing. I can only feel the pain you've been through. I don't believe that learning disabilities should ever be considered a disability because each of our minds are different. Academia might not be the curriculum our brain wants. One should discover which subject suits their talent and ignites their interest and flow with that stream. I hope that you and your siblings have a great life ahead!
Aohanlon86
Favorite Author: Charlaine Harris
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amcdanel86.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi
fav_author_id: 3791

Post by Aohanlon86 »

I can understand conner and why he would be embaressed. I do tend to say thing with out thinking and can make a conversation awkward for some people. My brother growing up had some learning disablitities that made people make fun of him. of course being the older sister I would tell people to leave him alone. hsimone I think it is awesome that you work with peopel who have needs. I don't have patient to do that. I am grateful to the people who can.
Andrea O'Hanlon
Twisted Creations Home & Bath
Author
Rachel1019
Currently Reading: A Dance with Dragons
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel1019.html
Latest Review: "The Understanding" by Dennis Pennefather

Post by Rachel1019 »

I am completely normal, or at least on the outside I am. On the inside is a whole other story. I have a congenital hiatal hernia, inflammatory bowel syndrome, and am prone to developing ulcers. I am only 23 years old, and I have had all of these problems for years. It made it difficult for me as a high school student, when I was constantly sick and missed a lot of fun activities from being sick. So, while people don't see that anything is wrong with me, they still know that something is not right with me, and I do get judged for that.
Latest Review: "The Understanding" by Dennis Pennefather
Serena [Poetree]
Currently Reading: Earthkeepers
Bookshelf Size: 638
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-serena-poetree.html
Latest Review: "Ring of Fire" by Stevie Rae Causey

Post by Serena [Poetree] »

What a great question, and thank you for sharing your story! I've always been short (5' as an adult now) and have light red hair, so between those two things, I've gotten a lot of attention throughout my life--which I don't always like, being a shy introvert.
Latest Review: "Ring of Fire" by Stevie Rae Causey
Sindhu Srinath
Currently Reading: Last Dance
Bookshelf Size: 272
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sindhu-srinath.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill
Reading Device: B06Y66GMC5

Post by Sindhu Srinath »

ebeth wrote:Yes I do however, I am uncomfortable telling people what it is. Mine is very minor, I'm sure people have figured out by now that I have something different about me but just haven't said anything. I come home from work more tired than the normal person because I have to work at hiding my difference from everyone. Also double the work for myself to make sure I do it correctly.
Thanks for sharing to whatever extent was comfortable for you. You must be having a really hard time at work. I hope that you will always have the strength to endure and persevere. Good luck for your future!
Christine_B
Currently Reading: Silver Shadows
Bookshelf Size: 1971
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christine-b.html
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes

Post by Christine_B »

I'm visually impaired and I feel like I can relate to a lot of people who have disabilities or physical limitations regardless of what kind it is.
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes
greenstripedgiraffe

Christine_B wrote:I'm visually impaired and I feel like I can relate to a lot of people who have disabilities or physical limitations regardless of what kind it is.
I am so glad for glasses and contacts. If those had not been invented, I'd be stuck at the side of a road begging.
Vermont Reviews
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 4468">Scam Prevention</a>
Currently Reading: A Roadmap To Career Success
Bookshelf Size: 507
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vermont-reviews.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Vermont Reviews »

rssllue wrote:The funny thing is that we all have something that we can be stared at for whether we have a disability or not. It really comes down to trying to understand who the person really is inside and not how they look. Also, a little bit of levity in understanding our own importance doesn't hurt either. God doesn't play favorites.

I totally agree.

Vermont Reviews
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
lacos2693
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 441
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lacos2693.html
Latest Review: "Achieve Your Dreams" by Scott Hughes and A. Lynn Powers and Adam Buongiovanni

Post by lacos2693 »

Yeah I think everyone has something which makes them different but some people are more self conscious than others. I have a squint at times, my teeth used to be crazy (looked like a beaver), I'm taller than most people I meet and I sneeze in the loudest, squeakiest way possible. I learned to just go with most things (the sneeze for example) so I can laugh about it now but some things I'm still very self conscious of.
Latest Review: "Achieve Your Dreams" by Scott Hughes and A. Lynn Powers and Adam Buongiovanni
greenstripedgiraffe

lacos2693 wrote:Yeah I think everyone has something which makes them different but some people are more self conscious than others. I have a squint at times, my teeth used to be crazy (looked like a beaver), I'm taller than most people I meet and I sneeze in the loudest, squeakiest way possible. I learned to just go with most things (the sneeze for example) so I can laugh about it now but some things I'm still very self conscious of.
Being comfortable in your own skin is a blessing. I've always had a hard time with that. Not sure why that comes easy for some people, but so difficult for others.

Return to “Discuss "Roan" by E. R. Barr”