I'm on the fence! (Looking for some info)

Discuss the November 2016 Book of the Month, Roan: The Tales Of Conor Archer by E. R. Barr.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Re: I'm on the fence! (Looking for some info)

Post by bookowlie »

gali wrote:
bookowlie wrote:I am also on the fence about reading this book. I was a bit put off by the length, even though the story looks interesting. It's a big commitment since I also belong to an in-person book club, read review books, and books of my own choosing. Added to the mix is I am still in the middle of last month's BOTM and don't want to continue to fall behind with future monthly picks.
Knowing your taste, I don't think the book is for you. 8)
Thanks for the "un-recommendation." :) I still am thinking of trying it at some point, even if I don't start it this month.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

bookowlie wrote:
gali wrote:
bookowlie wrote:I am also on the fence about reading this book. I was a bit put off by the length, even though the story looks interesting. It's a big commitment since I also belong to an in-person book club, read review books, and books of my own choosing. Added to the mix is I am still in the middle of last month's BOTM and don't want to continue to fall behind with future monthly picks.
Knowing your taste, I don't think the book is for you. 8)
Thanks for the "un-recommendation." :) I still am thinking of trying it at some point, even if I don't start it this month.
lol I hope you will enjoy the book if you decide to read it. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
lucymn11
Currently Reading: ROOM
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lucymn11.html
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by lucymn11 »

For those who have read it, do you feel like it's worth moving up the "queue" of my current books that I want to read? Thanks so much :)
Janetleighgreen
Favorite Author: Janet Leigh Green
Currently Reading: Before She Disappeared
Bookshelf Size: 204
fav_author_id: 42198

Post by Janetleighgreen »

It is a good book and if you want to get in on the discussions, you might want to get started. ?
lucymn11
Currently Reading: ROOM
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lucymn11.html
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by lucymn11 »

Janetleighgreen wrote:It is a good book and if you want to get in on the discussions, you might want to get started. ?
Thanks! I think I'll go for it; I'm pretty busy but also eager to read something new.
Janetleighgreen

lucymn11 wrote:
Janetleighgreen wrote:It is a good book and if you want to get in on the discussions, you might want to get started. ?
Thanks! I think I'll go for it; I'm pretty busy but also eager to read something new.
I'm sure you'll enjoy it.
Jennifer Allsbrook
Favorite Book: Nightlord: Sunset
Currently Reading: An American Hedge Fund
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-allsbrook.html
Latest Review: Audible Book of your Choice by Amazon

Post by Jennifer Allsbrook »

Gravy wrote:I am super interested in this book, but am still hesitant to invest myself in reading it. I'm hoping that someone can help me with this.

For those who've read it:
  • Does it end in a cliffhanger, or with other gnawing questions left unanswered?
  • Does anyone know if or when the second book will be out?
Please, no spoilers :no-spoil:

Thank you!
The book is well worth the time investment. It does not end in a cliff hanger and though there is a direction for the future provided it is a satisfying ending. I did some fishing for an update about a sequel but found nothing online.
Janetleighgreen

Jennifer Allsbrook wrote:
Gravy wrote:I am super interested in this book, but am still hesitant to invest myself in reading it. I'm hoping that someone can help me with this.

For those who've read it:
  • Does it end in a cliffhanger, or with other gnawing questions left unanswered?
  • Does anyone know if or when the second book will be out?
Please, no spoilers :no-spoil:

Thank you!
The book is well worth the time investment. It does not end in a cliff hanger and though there is a direction for the future provided it is a satisfying ending. I did some fishing for an update about a sequel but found nothing online.
I agree that although I was frustrated by the pace, the book was worth the time invested. There were no cliffhangers. I don't know if or when there will be a sequel. Just be ready to invest the time.
gali

Post by gali »

I was also frustrated by the pace, but as others pointed out it does worth the time if you like the genre.
A retired Admin/Mod

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Gnome
Currently Reading: Fly: Goose Girl Retold (Romance a Medieval Fairytale, #3)
Bookshelf Size: 297
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gnome.html
Latest Review: Misreading Judas by Robert Wahler
Reading Device: B00OSKREVG

Post by Gnome »

Janetleighgreen wrote:
Jennifer Allsbrook wrote:
Gravy wrote: Does anyone know if or when the second book will be out?
I did some fishing for an update about a sequel but found nothing online.
I don't know if or when there will be a sequel.
I think in the author interview he says that the hope is to have the next book out in September. We "stragglers" have nearly 10 months to finish reading.
gali

Post by gali »

Gnome wrote:
Janetleighgreen wrote:
Jennifer Allsbrook wrote: I did some fishing for an update about a sequel but found nothing online.
I don't know if or when there will be a sequel.
I think in the author interview he says that the hope is to have the next book out in September. We "stragglers" have nearly 10 months to finish reading.
Yes, he did say that. I finished the book and will wait for it! :)
A retired Admin/Mod

Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

Awesome! I look forward to trying it :)

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
Seamusberen1955
Favorite Author: E. R. Barr
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 42361
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Roan:The Tales Of Conor Archer

Post by Seamusberen1955 »

Seamusberen here the author of ROAN. I have really enjoyed this forum topic. I t to
1. There will be a sequel called SKELLIG hopefully out by September 2017.

2. About the length. This is the first website that has ever talked about the length of the book. Some thought it too long to even start, others that it was just right. So I had to do some thinking about this and I want to explain what is behind the length.

A. A lot of people including me like throwaway novels. Those are books that you binge through in a day or two. And you never read them again. They are fun, but not memorable. I wanted to write a novel that meant something with a lot of different themes.v

B. I really love Charles dickens. He wrote very long books. But he had very short chapters because they appeared first in the newspaper. Long books with short chapters are really easy to navigate. My book resembles that. I'm not in Charles dickens league but I do copy the structure. This is a book that takes time to read. I want you to spend quality time with the characters so you not only witness their actions but know why they do the things they do.

C. The genre of this book is fantasy. Good fantasy requires world building. That takes time and requires words for descriptions of things and places that might not be familiar to readers. The sequels to this book will not be as long because the first book has already done the world building.
gali

Post by gali »

Seamusberen1955 wrote:Seamusberen here the author of ROAN. I have really enjoyed this forum topic. I t to
1. There will be a sequel called SKELLIG hopefully out by September 2017.

2. About the length. This is the first website that has ever talked about the length of the book. Some thought it too long to even start, others that it was just right. So I had to do some thinking about this and I want to explain what is behind the length.

A. A lot of people including me like throwaway novels. Those are books that you binge through in a day or two. And you never read them again. They are fun, but not memorable. I wanted to write a novel that meant something with a lot of different themes.v

B. I really love Charles dickens. He wrote very long books. But he had very short chapters because they appeared first in the newspaper. Long books with short chapters are really easy to navigate. My book resembles that. I'm not in Charles dickens league but I do copy the structure. This is a book that takes time to read. I want you to spend quality time with the characters so you not only witness their actions but know why they do the things they do.

C. The genre of this book is fantasy. Good fantasy requires world building. That takes time and requires words for descriptions of things and places that might not be familiar to readers. The sequels to this book will not be as long because the first book has already done the world building.
Thank you for the info. I like long books and wasn't deterred by the length, so that wasn't the issue. The world building was great and made the setting comes to life.

Will look forward to the sequel! :tiphat:
A retired Admin/Mod

Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

If Amazon stated the length at being over 900 pages, that might make me think twice, just because...WOW, but given the length Amazon provides, I have no problem :)

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.

Return to “Discuss "Roan" by E. R. Barr”