Legends and Myths

Discuss the November 2016 Book of the Month, Roan: The Tales Of Conor Archer by E. R. Barr.
Toria Mason
Currently Reading: Thirteen Reasons Why
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-toria-mason.html
Latest Review: "The Last Valentine" by Felix Alexander

Re: Legends and Myths

Post by Toria Mason »

I enjoy legends and mythology. I very much want to read Greek/Roman mythologies, perhaps even others as I find them.
Latest Review: "The Last Valentine" by Felix Alexander
Corybarclay
Currently Reading: Warbreaker
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-corybarclay.html
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes

Post by Corybarclay »

I love legends and/or myths -- they make the basis for a lot of what I write (both lyrically for my music, and for my stories). My favorite myths are based around Norse Mythology, Greek and Roman literature, etc. I dig the Norse pantheon (Odin, Thor, Loki, etc.) and love learning about them.

I take a lot of legends to heart, though that doesn't necessarily mean I believe them as truth. For instance, I believe King Arthur was a real person, but not that he was as successful or synonymous with Arthurian legends as people say (same with Ragnar Lothbrok, Jesus Christ, and others...)
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes
dhwanis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dhwanis.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by dhwanis »

Being an Indian, I grew up surrounded with legends..primarily the Ramayana and the Mahabharata..I also enjoy reading the Greek mythology
Wizard Magic
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wizard-magic.html
Latest Review: "Yesterday" by Samyann

Post by Wizard Magic »

Personally, I am a fan of reading and learning about legend/myths. I think they are always interesting regardless of whether they are true or believable. They are a source of culture and history for some and because of that it is nice to know of them. It broadens perspectives and opens our eyes to the stories that others tell.
Latest Review: "Yesterday" by Samyann
papaya12
Currently Reading: Insurgent
Bookshelf Size: 72
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-papaya12.html
Latest Review: Protostar by Braxton A. Cosby
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by papaya12 »

I love to read Greek and Roman Mythology. I think that some of the less weird stuff may have happened and with time the stories got bigger and bigger until they evolved into the myths we have today.
Dravyn98
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 27

Post by Dravyn98 »

I dont have a favorite legend
msmillennial
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msmillennial.html

Post by msmillennial »

I am incredibly fond of myths and legends. I actually spend quite a bit of time reading different myths from around the world. I don't believe myths or legends, but find it incredibly fascinating how humanity and culture shape these stories, as well as how they shape the cultures they come from. Greek mythology has long since been an interest of mine, and I enjoy finding references and variations in everyday life.
noorsawhney
Currently Reading: The Hobbit
Bookshelf Size: 185
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-noorsawhney.html
Latest Review: "Aluria" by Tyler Cook

Post by noorsawhney »

I used to love reading about myths when I was younger! The Greek and Roman myths were my favourite and that translated into a love for Rick Riordan books when I was a little older. I also liked the Norse myths, which we learned about when studying the Vikings. Honestly, I need to start reading myths again to rekindle my love for them.
“Nolite te bastardes carborundorum"
Latest Review: "Aluria" by Tyler Cook
srm628
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-srm628.html
Latest Review: The Ultimate Guide For The Avid Indoorsman by John Driver

Post by srm628 »

I'm a tad bit late for this topic, but I love legends and myths. My favorite thing to learn about is cryptozoology. I love learning about new things that could possibly be real and what people believe. It is just so interesting.
drcmarx

Post by drcmarx »

Legends and myths are what makes for interesting reading. My understanding is that legends and myths forms the basis of many fiction books and I love most of these.
Ginya
Currently Reading: It Ended Badly
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ginya.html
Latest Review: "Nightlord: Sunset" by Garon Whited

Post by Ginya »

I'm a huge fan of learning other cultures and myths and legends are a huge part of that. I think the real reason I enjoy them so much is that there is often a spark of truth behind them and in a small way it gives me a little hope that the mythological creatures I loved so much as a child might have actually existed at some point.
Latest Review: "Nightlord: Sunset" by Garon Whited
OctoberSkye13
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-octoberskye13.html
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare

Post by OctoberSkye13 »

Legends and Myths are usually rooted in facts. Sea monsters could be giant squids blown out of proportion, or the Megalodon, which we can prove existed at one point. Legends and myths can tell you a lot about a culture and that culture's values and history. It is absolutely amazing to me!

-- 02 Feb 2017, 18:39 --

Legends and Myths are usually rooted in facts. Sea monsters could be giant squids blown out of proportion, or the Megalodon, which we can prove existed at one point. Legends and myths can tell you a lot about a culture and that culture's values and history. It is absolutely amazing to me!
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare
Nita Kapadia

Post by Nita Kapadia »

The myths I like best are of the sixty four heroes that lived in this cycle of time as described in Jain Saga.
naika

Post by naika »

Myth and legend bring lesson that we should think about.I wonder what would be like having no clue how this things happen in alegend and myths? :|
jhmende
Currently Reading: The Bible
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jhmende.html
Latest Review: "Blowing Sandstorm" by Horace Crenshaw, Jr.

Post by jhmende »

As a kid, I liked Greek mythology, but I was more interested in the Norse myths. I thought that they were a lot cooler than the Greek legends. I think most legends shouldn't be believed, but every legend also has some sort of theme or idea that we, even today, can learn from.
Latest Review: "Blowing Sandstorm" by Horace Crenshaw, Jr.

Return to “Discuss "Roan" by E. R. Barr”