Legends and Myths

Discuss the November 2016 Book of the Month, Roan: The Tales Of Conor Archer by E. R. Barr.
bronzeglitter
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bronzeglitter.html

Re: Legends and Myths

Post by bronzeglitter »

I love books that have legends and myths in them. I don't necessarily believe in the myths, but thinking about their origin story is always something that I love to ponder. How did these legends come about? Who first told these stories? Were they works of one individual mind or did they hear about them from a 'supreme being'? maybe it came to them in a dream, or maybe a story was passed down from generation to generation. We may not ever know the true origin of a lot of legends but i certainly love reading them.
greenstripedgiraffe
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The New Strong-Willed Child
Bookshelf Size: 274
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greenstripedgiraffe.html
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris

Post by greenstripedgiraffe »

Although many legends are just a myth or story, but I believe that many legends have basis in some truth. The stories passed on from generation to generation may contain a lot untruths by now, but I think that more of them have basis somewhere than that don't. For instance, fire-breathing dragons. There are stories of this sort of beast in nearly every civilization. Surely they used to exist at some point, or why would there be so many stories? The stories of King Arthur are likely largely exaggerated, but it is likely that they are based on an actual person who lived at some point in time. I don't personally know all the histories behind so many of these legends, but I am sure that many of them have basis in fact. I do know one legend that is totally bogus... the story of the Hodag in upper wisconsin area. This is a fearsome green beast with spikes down its back and horns. Many will tell you this was a real animal, but the actual story was that some loggers were just playing a trick on their buddies by creating a fake beast out of materials they found and telling everyone they found this horrid beast in the forest somewhere.
"no one down here" --- Up the Down Staircase
AThousandLives
Currently Reading: Of Neptune
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-athousandlives.html

Post by AThousandLives »

My passion for legends and myths had started back in 10th grade(I'm a student now) when we had learnt about greek and roman mythology. I love how complex it is, and the fact that it is built up out of events that are usually too good (or bad) to be true, emphasises the fact that it was created by men to find answers to the big questions of the world. So here's the answer to the other question: I do believe that every myth has the slightest hint of truth in it, but basically they are made up by the people of the ancient times.
LadyLou99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ladylou99.html

Post by LadyLou99 »

I am a huge fan of philosophy and conspiracy theories, so religion has always fascinated me- including that of the ancients (not limited to Greek and Roman mythology) I am currently taking a HS course on mythology and was oddly disappointed when I realized we were only covering those of Greece and Rome. However they did cover my favorite myth: that of Daedalus and his son Icarus, it teaches us where the idea of human flight came from and the dangers that come along with it. It's fascinating, but there is not much to it :3
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

Legends and myths are a huge part of how we can learn about a society. The interwoven stories show us what's important, what's valued, what's needed by various groups in different places at different times in history. I'm not sure I have a favorite. There are so many interesting ones out there. I did dress up as Medusa one year for Halloween so I guess she'd have to be on the list of faves.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
k_clements21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-k-clements21.html

Post by k_clements21 »

I have always found mythology extremely interesting (especially Greek). Whether you believe in it or not, the tales told always hold valuable lessons. The stories may be extravagant, but at the heart of them all, there's something everyone can take away from it and relate to in our lives.
Mannie913
Currently Reading: Sweep Volume 3
Bookshelf Size: 114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mannie913.html
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Mannie913 »

I love hearing old legends and myths! I don't put 100% confidence in them because I think a lot of them are made up to explain things which at that point were unexplainable. Some stories I think we're to scare children into obeying their parents. The LockNess mister is a legend though that I've always questioned if it's real. I don't believe there is a bigfoot!
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
Genaaa
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-genaaa.html
Latest Review: "A Messiahs Battle For The Human Realm" by Roberto Torres Rivera

Post by Genaaa »

I think it's definitely cool with authors incorporate them into books. However, I personally am not really sure how much I believe them. I would say it really all depends on which myth, because some are more realistic than other.
Latest Review: "A Messiahs Battle For The Human Realm" by Roberto Torres Rivera
Aohanlon86
Favorite Author: Charlaine Harris
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amcdanel86.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi
fav_author_id: 3791

Post by Aohanlon86 »

i think lengends have some truth to them. maybe exaggerated a bit due to imagination. my favorite myth is the lochness monster. i like the idea of something that big still living and being smart enough to avoid society.
Andrea O'Hanlon
Twisted Creations Home & Bath
Author
portia1239
Currently Reading: Small Great Things
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-portia1239.html

Post by portia1239 »

When I think of legends I think of stories. Legends are stories passed down from generation to generation. They are the tapestry of our history. Myths are stories that are recalled with a hint of skepticism.
Jennifer Allsbrook
Favorite Book: Nightlord: Sunset
Currently Reading: An American Hedge Fund
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-allsbrook.html
Latest Review: Audible Book of your Choice by Amazon

Post by Jennifer Allsbrook »

hsimone wrote:In Roan, the topic of legend comes up. What are your thoughts of legends and/or myths?

How much weight do you put on legends and/or myths that you hear? What is one of your favorite legend or myth?
I think that legends and myths are more prevalent in certain societies and in certain regions of the world. In the US, where I was raised, there are very few pervasive folk tales that are passed down from generation to generation. I am hard-pressed to even think of one. The only thing that comes to mind are some ghost stories told about a region in upstate SC near my home. The Scottish Highlands, Ireland, Greece, and Egypt are all areas where myths and legends are famous. Another legend that I particularly enjoy is Arthurian Legend. Merlin, Uther Pendragon, the Knights of the Round table, King Arthur, Morgan Le Fay, Mordred and many more characters are etched into my memory. My favorite telling of this legend is in a series by Mary Stewart. The Crystal Cave, The Hollow Hills, The Last Enchantment, and the Wicked Day are titles in the series.
DDixon1178
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ddixon1178.html

Post by DDixon1178 »

I believe that most legends, myths, and fairy tales are based in facts. No matter how outlandish done if these stories have become, most of them stem from an actual occurrence.
Paliden
Currently Reading: White Cargo
Bookshelf Size: 1028
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paliden.html
Latest Review: "Justified Anger" by Jennifer Colne

Post by Paliden »

I love myths, folklore and legends. I would have to say King Arthur and Excaliber are probably my favorite legend.
Latest Review: "Justified Anger" by Jennifer Colne
Wendy71

Post by Wendy71 »

I was obsessed with.Greek.Mythology as a kid. The.first."big" book I remember checking out of my elementary school library was bulfinches mythology.I wore that book out. As an adult I love Norse mythology.
I live in the low country of south carolina. I love the legends and lore of the Gullah culture.
greenstripedgiraffe
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The New Strong-Willed Child
Bookshelf Size: 274
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greenstripedgiraffe.html

Post by greenstripedgiraffe »

It was interesting to see Catholicism mixed in with all the legends. I found that most curious in Roan.
"no one down here" --- Up the Down Staircase

Return to “Discuss "Roan" by E. R. Barr”