Legends and Myths

Discuss the November 2016 Book of the Month, Roan: The Tales Of Conor Archer by E. R. Barr.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Legends and Myths

Post by Heidi M Simone »

In Roan, the topic of legend comes up. What are your thoughts of legends and/or myths?

How much weight do you put on legends and/or myths that you hear? What is one of your favorite legend or myth?
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
ebeth
Currently Reading: The Color of Destiny
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebeth.html
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
Reading Device: B0097BEFA4

Post by ebeth »

One that I just thought of while reading the first chapter in the book is we have a Junior High School that the basement in it has never been finished because of a serious events occurs. I don't know all the stories at the top of my head but that is one of them that I can think of.
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
Wasif Ahmed
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Currently Reading: The Face of Fear
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wasif-ahmed.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00THRCA6E
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Wasif Ahmed »

Legends are usually something I do not believe even though I may spend hours thinking about some of them.
There are some myths though which i do believe. One myth is that the story of an apple falling on Newton's head is almost certainly false which someone came up with years after his death.
When people say you've changed, it just means that you have stopped living your life, their way.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I love books that incorporate legends and/or myths, though I don't put much stock in them. I especially like Greek and Roman mythology, but other lore interests me as well. One of my favorite legends is Pandora's Box. The story of the apple is another.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

Mythology, folklore, legends, are all some of my favorite things. This is why I lean toward certain books more than others, and why this one caught my eye, even before it was BOTD/BOTM.

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
DB44
Currently Reading: Breaths in Winter
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-db44.html
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes
Reading Device: B00REQKWGA

Post by DB44 »

I loved reading myths and legends from different cultures as a Child. I haven't read any for a while.
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes
EmersonRose
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... nkheart</a>
Currently Reading: The Eye of the World (Wheel of Time, #1)
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emersonrose.html

Post by EmersonRose »

I have always been interested in myths and legends. They have the ability to tell you a great idea of what cultures were like. Not because of who they worshipped but because myths and legends show what is important to people and what morals they follow. I have studied Greek Myth fairly extensively but I also love Roman, Norse, Egyptian, Celtic . . .
Fantasy novels are also my go to genre, what can really make a book is the ability to create myths and legends within a world that the author has created. It brings depth to characters and cultures. This book seems to have created a great deal of this, which pulls me in as a prospective reader.
AA1495
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 19636">Out of the Box Awakening</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aa1495.html
Latest Review: YiaYia’s Kitchen by Brianna Koucos Midgley

Post by AA1495 »

DB44 wrote:I loved reading myths and legends from different cultures as a Child. I haven't read any for a while.
Same here! I still find them interesting though. Do you believe in them?
Janetleighgreen
Favorite Author: Janet Leigh Green
Currently Reading: Before She Disappeared
Bookshelf Size: 204
fav_author_id: 42198

Post by Janetleighgreen »

Well, of course I believe in legends and myths! What self respecting horror writer, who believes in Ghosts and loves all things horror doesn't? Haha!

My Dad taught my one of my favorite songs, 'Barbara Allen' when I was little. It's a haunting tale of how two lovers died and their spirits grew together into a true love knot of a rose bush and a briar. It's nice to think they are still together.
AA1495
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 19636">Out of the Box Awakening</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aa1495.html
Latest Review: YiaYia’s Kitchen by Brianna Koucos Midgley

Post by AA1495 »

EmersonRose wrote:I have always been interested in myths and legends. They have the ability to tell you a great idea of what cultures were like. Not because of who they worshiped but because myths and legends show what is important to people and what morals they follow. I have studied Greek Myth fairly extensively but I also love Roman, Norse, Egyptian, Celtic . . .
Fantasy novels are also my go to genre, what can really make a book is the ability to create myths and legends within a world that the author has created. It brings depth to characters and cultures. This book seems to have created a great deal of this, which pulls me in as a prospective reader.
Agree with you on your point that it brings depth to characters! You've put across your views very well. :)
eseibiaienei
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by eseibiaienei »

I am very interested in myths and legends. Not only because I like literature a lot (especially old literature), but also because they are related to the culture in which they were born.
I am studying to be an English language teacher and I provide particular lessons of English and Spanish language, so I know how important it is for children and teenagers to know these genres.
Myths are taught as they have the function of explaining the origin of natural phenomenon, and that's what makes them very interesting. Legends are a really cool and versatile teaching material because you can teach not only literature but also human values, which are meant to be learnt at home but school plays an important role on children's behaviour.

I know this comment is probably too related to teaching but that's the first thing I relate this genres to.
My favourite mythical character is Oedipus.

-- 02 Nov 2016, 22:57 --
Janetleighgreen wrote:Well, of course I believe in legends and myths! What self respecting horror writer, who believes in Ghosts and loves all things horror doesn't? Haha!

My Dad taught my one of my favorite songs, 'Barbara Allen' when I was little. It's a haunting tale of how two lovers died and their spirits grew together into a true love knot of a rose bush and a briar. It's nice to think they are still together.
:) Such a nice song! a great example of a musical legend. :techie-studyingbrown:
Janetleighgreen
Favorite Author: Janet Leigh Green
Currently Reading: Before She Disappeared
Bookshelf Size: 204
fav_author_id: 42198

Post by Janetleighgreen »

eseibiaienei wrote:I am very interested in myths and legends. Not only because I like literature a lot (especially old literature), but also because they are related to the culture in which they were born.
I am studying to be an English language teacher and I provide particular lessons of English and Spanish language, so I know how important it is for children and teenagers to know these genres.
Myths are taught as they have the function of explaining the origin of natural phenomenon, and that's what makes them very interesting. Legends are a really cool and versatile teaching material because you can teach not only literature but also human values, which are meant to be learnt at home but school plays an important role on children's behaviour.

I know this comment is probably too related to teaching but that's the first thing I relate this genres to.
My favourite mythical character is Oedipus.

-- 02 Nov 2016, 22:57 --
Janetleighgreen wrote:Well, of course I believe in legends and myths! What self respecting horror writer, who believes in Ghosts and loves all things horror doesn't? Haha!

:) Such a nice song! a great example of a musical legend. :techie-

studyingbrown:
Thanks! It's a special song to me.?
Heidi M Simone
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

These are great, so far!

I love learning about Greek mythology, but I guess the tale I remember the most is Paul Bunyan. Though this is a tall tale/folklore, it's one that has stuck with me since I was a kid. I mean who wouldn't remember a giant lumberjack and a blue ox? :)
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

I suppose I could truthfully say that I'm partial to animals and creatures in mythology. Things like unicorns and dragons being the ones usually encountered in books, though gargoyles have been gaining in popularity.

And Native American lore is always interesting, and full of animals.

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Gravy wrote:I suppose I could truthfully say that I'm partial to animals and creatures in mythology. Things like unicorns and dragons being the ones usually encountered in books, though gargoyles have been gaining in popularity.

And Native American lore is always interesting, and full of animals.
I love those as well! I love all mythology especially if it part of a tale. I also love Nordic lore. I didn't encounter many Nordic lore stories though.
A retired Admin/Mod

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)

Return to “Discuss "Roan" by E. R. Barr”