Forum Navigation: Forum Index » Book of the Month » Book of the month » Discuss "Roan" by E. R. Barr

Want FREE books and FREE Amazon gift cards?

Each day we announce via email a book that is either FREE or on a temporary sale at a great discount price. These are not your average free books. These are incredible insider deals on well-rated books. OnlineBookClub.org is where tomorrow's bestsellers are born. We also give away over $1,000 per month of free Amazon gift cards in free daily giveaways, exclusively to those signed up to these announcements! Hurry, sign up free now:

Sorry, this proves you are human.

Legends and Myths

Discuss the November 2016 Book of the Month, Roan: The Tales Of Conor Archer by E. R. Barr.

Legends and Myths

Post Number:#1 by hsimone
» 01 Nov 2016, 10:42

In Roan, the topic of legend comes up. What are your thoughts of legends and/or myths?

How much weight do you put on legends and/or myths that you hear? What is one of your favorite legend or myth?
"Love is patient, love is kind." -1 Corinthians 13:4
Publishing Contest ~ 27 Votes ~ View hsimone's Entry
User avatar
hsimone
Lilimaster of Bookshelves
 
Posts: 4412
Joined: 17 Jul 2015, 20:19
Location: Snuggling with a Book :)
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
Currently Reading: Escape to Eden
Bookshelf Size: 401 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Kindle Paperwhite
2017 Reading Goal: 140 Books
Goal Completion: 56%

Did you know?
 
Once you join the forums and log in you will get to enjoy a very ad-reduced experience. It's easy and completely free!

Re: Legends and Myths

Post Number:#2 by ebeth
» 01 Nov 2016, 20:02

One that I just thought of while reading the first chapter in the book is we have a Junior High School that the basement in it has never been finished because of a serious events occurs. I don't know all the stories at the top of my head but that is one of them that I can think of.
User avatar
ebeth
 
Posts: 408
Joined: 02 Jul 2016, 16:31
Currently Reading: The Color of Destiny
Bookshelf Size: 69 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device:
2017 Reading Goal: 0 Books
Goal Completion: 0%

Re: Legends and Myths

Post Number:#3 by Wasif Ahmed
» 01 Nov 2016, 22:41

Legends are usually something I do not believe even though I may spend hours thinking about some of them.
There are some myths though which i do believe. One myth is that the story of an apple falling on Newton's head is almost certainly false which someone came up with years after his death.
When people say you've changed, it just means that you have stopped living your life, their way.
Wasif Ahmed's Latest Review: "Maram" by DR.Abdulrahman Saied Abubaker
User avatar
Wasif Ahmed
 
Posts: 651
Joined: 19 Sep 2016, 22:00
Location: Someplace.
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Currently Reading: Raven's Peak
Bookshelf Size: 103 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device:
2017 Reading Goal: 200 Books
Goal Completion: 22%

Re: Legends and Myths

Post Number:#4 by gali
» 01 Nov 2016, 23:00

I love books that incorporate legends and/or myths, though I don't put much stock in them. I especially like Greek and Roman mythology, but other lore interests me as well. One of my favorite legends is Pandora's Box. The story of the apple is another.
In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
gali's Latest Review: "Enough Rope" by P.L. Doss
User avatar
gali
Site Admin
 
Posts: 23920
Joined: 22 Oct 2013, 07:12
Location: Lost in a good book
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading: The Lie Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1632 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Kindle (E-Ink)
2017 Reading Goal: 100 Books
Goal Completion: 57%

Re: Legends and Myths

Post Number:#5 by Gravy
» 02 Nov 2016, 00:04

Mythology, folklore, legends, are all some of my favorite things. This is why I lean toward certain books more than others, and why this one caught my eye, even before it was BOTD/BOTM.
Because hope is a knife that can cut through the foundations of the world.

Every Heart a Doorway
User avatar
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
 
Posts: 29864
Joined: 27 Aug 2014, 02:02
Location: In A Good Book
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Memory of Water
Bookshelf Size: 877 books
2017 Reading Goal: 60 Books
Goal Completion: 60%

Re: Legends and Myths

Post Number:#6 by DB44
» 02 Nov 2016, 05:36

I loved reading myths and legends from different cultures as a Child. I haven't read any for a while.
User avatar
DB44
 
Posts: 47
Joined: 05 Aug 2013, 04:13
Currently Reading: Breaths in Winter
Bookshelf Size: 20 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device:
2017 Reading Goal: 0 Books
Goal Completion: 0%

Re: Legends and Myths

Post Number:#7 by EmersonRose
» 02 Nov 2016, 12:13

I have always been interested in myths and legends. They have the ability to tell you a great idea of what cultures were like. Not because of who they worshipped but because myths and legends show what is important to people and what morals they follow. I have studied Greek Myth fairly extensively but I also love Roman, Norse, Egyptian, Celtic . . .
Fantasy novels are also my go to genre, what can really make a book is the ability to create myths and legends within a world that the author has created. It brings depth to characters and cultures. This book seems to have created a great deal of this, which pulls me in as a prospective reader.
User avatar
EmersonRose
 
Posts: 10
Joined: 01 Nov 2016, 18:36
Favorite Book: Inkheart
Currently Reading: The Eye of the World (Wheel of Time, #1)
Bookshelf Size: 11 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Kindle (E-Ink)
2017 Reading Goal: 24 Books
Goal Completion: 0%

Re: Legends and Myths

Post Number:#8 by AA1495
» 02 Nov 2016, 19:01

DB44 wrote:I loved reading myths and legends from different cultures as a Child. I haven't read any for a while.


Same here! I still find them interesting though. Do you believe in them?
User avatar
AA1495
 
Posts: 783
Joined: 17 Aug 2016, 14:45
Favorite Book: Out of the Box Awakening
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 150 Books
Goal Completion: 9%

Re: Legends and Myths

Post Number:#9 by Janetleighgreen
» 02 Nov 2016, 19:12

Well, of course I believe in legends and myths! What self respecting horror writer, who believes in Ghosts and loves all things horror doesn't? Haha!

My Dad taught my one of my favorite songs, 'Barbara Allen' when I was little. It's a haunting tale of how two lovers died and their spirits grew together into a true love knot of a rose bush and a briar. It's nice to think they are still together.
User avatar
Janetleighgreen
 
Posts: 500
Joined: 05 Jul 2016, 19:04
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Currently Reading: The Honeymoon
Bookshelf Size: 169 books
2017 Reading Goal: 15 Books
Goal Completion: 13%

Re: Legends and Myths

Post Number:#10 by AA1495
» 02 Nov 2016, 20:08

EmersonRose wrote:I have always been interested in myths and legends. They have the ability to tell you a great idea of what cultures were like. Not because of who they worshiped but because myths and legends show what is important to people and what morals they follow. I have studied Greek Myth fairly extensively but I also love Roman, Norse, Egyptian, Celtic . . .
Fantasy novels are also my go to genre, what can really make a book is the ability to create myths and legends within a world that the author has created. It brings depth to characters and cultures. This book seems to have created a great deal of this, which pulls me in as a prospective reader.


Agree with you on your point that it brings depth to characters! You've put across your views very well. :)
User avatar
AA1495
 
Posts: 783
Joined: 17 Aug 2016, 14:45
Favorite Book: Out of the Box Awakening
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 150 Books
Goal Completion: 9%

Re: Legends and Myths

Post Number:#11 by eseibiaienei
» 02 Nov 2016, 22:54

I am very interested in myths and legends. Not only because I like literature a lot (especially old literature), but also because they are related to the culture in which they were born.
I am studying to be an English language teacher and I provide particular lessons of English and Spanish language, so I know how important it is for children and teenagers to know these genres.
Myths are taught as they have the function of explaining the origin of natural phenomenon, and that's what makes them very interesting. Legends are a really cool and versatile teaching material because you can teach not only literature but also human values, which are meant to be learnt at home but school plays an important role on children's behaviour.

I know this comment is probably too related to teaching but that's the first thing I relate this genres to.
My favourite mythical character is Oedipus.

-- 02 Nov 2016, 22:57 --

Janetleighgreen wrote:Well, of course I believe in legends and myths! What self respecting horror writer, who believes in Ghosts and loves all things horror doesn't? Haha!

My Dad taught my one of my favorite songs, 'Barbara Allen' when I was little. It's a haunting tale of how two lovers died and their spirits grew together into a true love knot of a rose bush and a briar. It's nice to think they are still together.


:) Such a nice song! a great example of a musical legend. :techie-studyingbrown:
User avatar
eseibiaienei
 
Posts: 4
Joined: 01 Nov 2016, 23:37
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2 books
2017 Reading Goal: 0 Books
Goal Completion: 0%

Re: Legends and Myths

Post Number:#12 by Janetleighgreen
» 02 Nov 2016, 23:11

eseibiaienei wrote:I am very interested in myths and legends. Not only because I like literature a lot (especially old literature), but also because they are related to the culture in which they were born.
I am studying to be an English language teacher and I provide particular lessons of English and Spanish language, so I know how important it is for children and teenagers to know these genres.
Myths are taught as they have the function of explaining the origin of natural phenomenon, and that's what makes them very interesting. Legends are a really cool and versatile teaching material because you can teach not only literature but also human values, which are meant to be learnt at home but school plays an important role on children's behaviour.

I know this comment is probably too related to teaching but that's the first thing I relate this genres to.
My favourite mythical character is Oedipus.

-- 02 Nov 2016, 22:57 --

Janetleighgreen wrote:Well, of course I believe in legends and myths! What self respecting horror writer, who believes in Ghosts and loves all things horror doesn't? Haha!

My Dad taught my one of my favorite songs, 'Barbara Allen' when I was little. It's a haunting tale of how two lovers died and their spirits grew together into a true love knot of a rose bush and a briar. It's nice to think they are still together.


:) Such a nice song! a great example of a musical legend. :techie-

studyingbrown:


Thanks! It's a special song to me.😀
User avatar
Janetleighgreen
 
Posts: 500
Joined: 05 Jul 2016, 19:04
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Currently Reading: The Honeymoon
Bookshelf Size: 169 books
2017 Reading Goal: 15 Books
Goal Completion: 13%

Re: Legends and Myths

Post Number:#13 by hsimone
» 03 Nov 2016, 02:25

These are great, so far!

I love learning about Greek mythology, but I guess the tale I remember the most is Paul Bunyan. Though this is a tall tale/folklore, it's one that has stuck with me since I was a kid. I mean who wouldn't remember a giant lumberjack and a blue ox? :)
"Love is patient, love is kind." -1 Corinthians 13:4
Publishing Contest ~ 27 Votes ~ View hsimone's Entry
User avatar
hsimone
Lilimaster of Bookshelves
 
Posts: 4412
Joined: 17 Jul 2015, 20:19
Location: Snuggling with a Book :)
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
Currently Reading: Escape to Eden
Bookshelf Size: 401 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Kindle Paperwhite
2017 Reading Goal: 140 Books
Goal Completion: 56%

Re: Legends and Myths

Post Number:#14 by Gravy
» 03 Nov 2016, 06:42

I suppose I could truthfully say that I'm partial to animals and creatures in mythology. Things like unicorns and dragons being the ones usually encountered in books, though gargoyles have been gaining in popularity.

And Native American lore is always interesting, and full of animals.
Because hope is a knife that can cut through the foundations of the world.

Every Heart a Doorway
User avatar
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
 
Posts: 29864
Joined: 27 Aug 2014, 02:02
Location: In A Good Book
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Memory of Water
Bookshelf Size: 877 books
2017 Reading Goal: 60 Books
Goal Completion: 60%

Re: Legends and Myths

Post Number:#15 by gali
» 03 Nov 2016, 10:10

Gravy wrote:I suppose I could truthfully say that I'm partial to animals and creatures in mythology. Things like unicorns and dragons being the ones usually encountered in books, though gargoyles have been gaining in popularity.

And Native American lore is always interesting, and full of animals.


I love those as well! I love all mythology especially if it part of a tale. I also love Nordic lore. I didn't encounter many Nordic lore stories though.
In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
gali's Latest Review: "Enough Rope" by P.L. Doss
User avatar
gali
Site Admin
 
Posts: 23920
Joined: 22 Oct 2013, 07:12
Location: Lost in a good book
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading: The Lie Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1632 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Kindle (E-Ink)
2017 Reading Goal: 100 Books
Goal Completion: 57%

Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Navigation

Return Home » Book of the Month » Book of the month » Discuss "Roan" by E. R. Barr