Review by SherHus -- Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
SherHus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sherhus.html
Latest Review: The Elf Legacy - Book Five of the Magi Charter by Jordan David

Review by SherHus -- Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Post by SherHus » 03 Mar 2019, 17:21

[Following is a volunteer review of "Chrome Mountain" by Ben Schneider.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Two strangers meet under the most unusual circumstances and are catapulted onto a path to bring down a powerful and deadly organization. Trey and Sonya are unlikely allies in this action-packed tale to escape a foe that seemingly has limitless resources, and can disappear into thin air. The organization is pursuing Trey with singular focus to force him to build game-changing technology to further their cause. In a case of role reversal, Sonya becomes Trey’s rescuer in some extraordinary situations.

I would rate Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider 2 out of 4 stars. The plot was a clever one and had lots of promise. However, the delivery was at times underwhelming. Reading the novel was to a certain degree difficult, and at times felt like a chore.

The novel was a challenging read despite the intricate plot, because of a few factors. The prose was overly descriptive. It seemed like every sentence had a lengthy description of the scene, the character, and innocuous items. The overuse of descriptive prose, that is, writing everything in minute detail, was more of a distraction than an enhancement to the book. In addition, the descriptions were repetitive. For example, a vehicle was described in the book, and the exact description was used 3 times within the same chapter, and in quick succession. I found the repetitiveness unnecessary.

The inner monologues by the characters also made reading laborious for me. The inner thoughts of the characters were sometimes too lengthy and did not fit fluidly into the story. Inner dialogues have a place within a novel, but some of the characters’ inner dialogues lasted several paragraphs and happened frequently. The regularity of the inner dialogues surprised me and was more than I had ever seen in other books. The monologues did little for the progression of the book and seemed more of a means to add length to the novel.

As a person who loves to read, I love to fall in love with the characters. Despite their flaws, I hope to see them in another story. The main character was not likeable at first but redeemed himself later in the story. However, I cannot say I would look forward to a sequel.

In an age where the use of profanity is the norm, I found it refreshing that there was absolutely none in the book. For some readers this would not matter but it was a positive for me.

The fact that the characters were or became Christian was also a positive for me. However, at times, that plot point did not fit as smoothly into the story as it could have. It seemed to be stuck into the story at odd times. In addition, some readers might argue that some of the actions of the characters were at odds to what a Christian would do.

The book had very few grammatical errors. Readers who like science fiction and action adventure stories might enjoy this book.

Chrome Mountain
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords

Like SherHus's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”