Review by Shielasshi_93 -- Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Shielasshi_93
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shielasshi-93.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Review by Shielasshi_93 -- Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by Shielasshi_93 » 19 Feb 2019, 12:37

[Following is a volunteer review of "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Raven’s Peak is an obscure small town, way out of Tennessee, inhabited by a tiny population of fewer than three thousand people. Reports of bizarre stories such as locals hearing and seeing strange things reach the Council, thus they send Abigail to investigate about these happenings.

Haatim is a blogger who writes about religion in the past but is now on the brink of losing his faith over his sister’s passing due to an illness. He is spontaneously planning on developing a crime blog when a man randomly comes up to him to ask for help. He claims that a woman is chasing after him and wants him dead. Haatim dubiously accepts the offer to divert his attention from his pain; And that is how he meets Abigail, a hunter who is doing her menial duty of irradicating a lesser demon.

Haatim’s life turns completely around when he becomes the center of the chase between the demons and Abigail. His eyes are now open to unearthly knowledge like that of demons, lesser demons that reside inside human hosts or corpses, demon worshipers, and an organization who battles against these entities. He joins Abigail on her way to Raven’s Peak to check on what they think is a small and insignificant matter. Little do they know that a bigger and a much stronger demon is waiting for them.

As someone who likes to read and watch paranormal fictions and supernatural thrillers, I had a great time reading Raven’s Peak by Lincoln Cole. I love the actions, characters, and ideas of the book. The author’s lucid narration of events and scenarios is truly admirable. The story is fast paced and well developed.

A remarkable and striking prologue started-off the story that launched the characters of Arthur or The Reverend, who was once the greatest hunter in their organization and Frieda, a Council member. The prologue is packed with beautiful and well-written dialogues that I took joy in, thrilling action scenes and a whole lot of mystery. It sets the mood of the story and defined the overall theme of the book. It was one of the best, if not the most, exquisite prologue that I had red.

One thing worth mentioning about this book is the diversity of the two main characters. Haatim is from India while Abigail is a black woman, an unwonted combination for main characters.

The part which I liked and appreciated the most in this story are the characters. I am fascinated by Abigail’s vigor, I admired how she handled herself whenever she needed to make a decision, moreover, I loved that she knew what her goal was and how she never allowed someone to intercept even if she was aware that the odds were not with her. On the other hand, Haatim may easily be called a coward, however, I understand that he lived a sheltered life under his parents care. I adored him because he’s relatable, to illustrate when he was asked by Abigail if he stopped believing in God, “I never stopped believing God existed” Haatim said, “I stopped believing God was good” I noticed that this was a common notion of people who were in pain and those who felt gravely wronged. It was outstanding how the author developed both characters as the story progressed.

Finally, I will award this book a 4 out of 4 stars rating. This book was simply amazing. I did not find anything that I disliked about this book. Furthermore, I did not notice any grammatical error. I highly recommend this book to everyone, specifically to those who like paranormal thrillers, however, it would be nice if people who don’t like graphic and gore scenes to shy away from this book because the author did not hold back in writing those scenarios.

Raven's Peak
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Shielasshi_93's review? Post a comment saying so!

labibliofile
2019 Reading Goal: 52
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 48
Currently Reading: Who Told You That You Were Naked?
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-labibliofile.html
Latest Review: I Can See Peace by Julie Penshorn

Post by labibliofile » 24 Feb 2019, 03:05

I completely agree with you, the book is a great paranormal thriller and the prologue is one that would pull you in to read more!
"Growth is the essence of life."

BelleReadsNietzsche
2019 Reading Goal: 36
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 27
Currently Reading: The Handmaid's Tale
Bookshelf Size: 288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bellereadsnietzsche.html
Latest Review: I Can See Peace by Julie Penshorn
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by BelleReadsNietzsche » 26 Feb 2019, 03:11

You summarize this book SO well. I usually don’t go for books like this, but now I’m rethinking it. I like the struggle Haatim is going through. Thanks for also highlighting the diversity of the characters. Great review!
"The bitter truth we critics must face is that, in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so." -Ratatouille (2007)

gen_g
Currently Reading: Cry Baby Cry or Not
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: Comrade Netai and the chronology Of His UG Days by sanjay Lahiri

Post by gen_g » 26 Feb 2019, 10:27

This book sounds like it's a ride from start to finish. I'm glad you enjoyed it; thanks for the review!

Zora C Penter
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 18
Currently Reading: Every Ghost Has Its Story
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zora-c-penter.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Zora C Penter » 26 Feb 2019, 12:48

I have read too many prologues lately that are more like an info-mercial and dumping the setting and backstory on the reader. I'm glad that this one does what they are most intended to do, draw you in and never let you go!

Thank you for the thorough review. It definitely has me interested in checking out this novel.

Shielasshi_93
Currently Reading:

Post by Shielasshi_93 » 27 Feb 2019, 21:21

labibliofile wrote: ↑
24 Feb 2019, 03:05
I completely agree with you, the book is a great paranormal thriller and the prologue is one that would pull you in to read more!
That's right. I'm glad that you seem to enjoy this book too. Thanks for your comment.

Shielasshi_93
Currently Reading:

Post by Shielasshi_93 » 27 Feb 2019, 21:23

Zora C Penter wrote: ↑
26 Feb 2019, 12:48
I have read too many prologues lately that are more like an info-mercial and dumping the setting and backstory on the reader. I'm glad that this one does what they are most intended to do, draw you in and never let you go!

Thank you for the thorough review. It definitely has me interested in checking out this novel.
The prologue of this book will not disappoint you! Thanks for stopping by.

Shielasshi_93
Currently Reading:

Post by Shielasshi_93 » 27 Feb 2019, 21:25

BelleReadsNietzsche wrote: ↑
26 Feb 2019, 03:11
You summarize this book SO well. I usually don’t go for books like this, but now I’m rethinking it. I like the struggle Haatim is going through. Thanks for also highlighting the diversity of the characters. Great review!
I was impressed by the diversity of the characters so I thought I should mention it on my review. Thank you for leaving a comment!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”