Review by Zora C Penter -- Happy Healing

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
User avatar
Zora C Penter
Posts: 258
Joined: 10 Dec 2018, 16:19
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 16
Currently Reading: Every Ghost Has Its Story
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zora-c-penter.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Review by Zora C Penter -- Happy Healing

Post by Zora C Penter » 17 Feb 2019, 11:09

[Following is a volunteer review of "Happy Healing" by Dominique Bourlet.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review


Not many people are strangers to pain, and nobody really welcomes it. Saint Augustine once said "the greatest evil is physical pain." However, Dominique Bourlet is trying to change that perspective in Happy Healing. You should not necessarily enjoy pain, but you should understand it is merely an alert being sent by a part of your body.

The author argues that systemic pain can lead to negative emotions toward not only the feeling of hurt itself, but also the body part or parts it is originating from. These negative emotions can cause a feedback loop that results in more pain and more anger, increasing the hurt every cycle. In eight “magic” steps, Bourlet outlines what he calls the “Happy Healing Protocol”. This process includes identifying the painful body part in question and personifying this body part as a whole, separate being. Viewing that body part as a human being can then lead to improving a person’s relationship with that body part and hopefully reduce the pain stemming from it to near zero.

Happy Healing does not explicitly state when the protocol should be used, but it does acknowledge the fact that it might not work for every person in every situation. The initial section of the book makes the conjecture that ongoing pain is largely mental or emotional and not just physical. I took this to mean the emphasis was more on helping with psychosomatic pain than other kinds of pain.

Based on the description provided by this site and the blurb provided by Amazon, I had thought the protocol would be focused on taking steps to reduce mental stress and relieve pain. What I had not expected was that the word “magic” in the subtitle for Happy Healing was intended more literally than figuratively. I was not very prepared for mentions of “astral clapping” and “auric eggs.” In addition, some steps required “praying to the Cosmos,” or “body magnetization.” I would probably not have chosen to read and review this book if I had known that so much focus would be placed on an astral version of faith healing. Because of this, my rating is based more on the presentation of the information in this book and not the content itself.

To avoid using a long phrase every time, Bourlet chose to use the rather unique acronym “BOP” to represent the “BO.dy P.art in pain.” The use of the acronym is inconsistent as is the author’s decision to hyphenate the phrase or what words to capitalize. In addition, the acronym sometimes includes an article within it and sometimes doesn’t, even from sentence to sentence. Both of the following sentences appear toward the end of the book where the author reiterated what his acronym stood for, as he did more than once per chapter.
All these spots are also called “BOPs.” BOP stands for “BOdy Part in pain or discomfort.”
BOP, the Body-part-in-pain, is our suffering partner when physical pain and discomfort are showing up. I thank BOP, all the BOPs, suffering from pain.
Early on in Happy Healing, Dominique Bourlet states that for the sake of convenience, a gender will be assigned to both a patient (female) and a “BOP” (male). I understand this may have been done to simplify writing in a language such as the author’s native French where direct and indirect articles are gendered. However, this led to some personally uncomfortable sentences like the following:
He will remain fit longer if you care for him. Do a little more than say hello: have a lifestyle which makes him happy!
The patient realizes that the troublemaker is not him, but herself! Full of humility, the patient looks up at BOP who is now in the upper and superior position.
Some awkward phrasing and a number of errors lead me to believe that this book was not professionally edited. There are numerous missing commas along with misspelled words, misplaced words, missing words, and a handful of subject-verb disagreements. Almost every few pages, there were also line breaks in the middle of sentences. Because of this, I ultimately decided to rate Happy Healing at 2 out of 4 stars. If you are interested in being “one with the Cosmos” and learning more information about alternative healing methods, this book should be insightful. If you are uncomfortable praying to the universe at large or individual body parts with their own separate mantras, you will not likely enjoy this one.

******
Happy Healing
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Zora C Penter's review? Post a comment saying so!

User avatar
Kelyn
Posts: 215
Joined: 09 May 2018, 07:34
2019 Reading Goal: 24
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 37
Currently Reading: The Sparrow
Bookshelf Size: 108
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelyn.html
Latest Review: I Can See Peace by Julie Penshorn
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Kelyn » 19 Feb 2019, 22:03

Well, I suppose the title could have been a hint...if you actually knew to look for one. To me, it sounds like a case of mismarketing. Did the blurb give any indication that it was a book about faith healing rather than, say, natural healing or modern medicine? To me, it sounds mildly interesting, if only for the amusement factor. Really though, I'm glad I read your review before I ran across it. Now I know to avoid it. Thanks!
Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it's a simple adventure story...Others can read the ingredients on a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe. (E. Cline - Ready Player One)

User avatar
Zora C Penter
Posts: 258
Joined: 10 Dec 2018, 16:19
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 16
Currently Reading: Every Ghost Has Its Story
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zora-c-penter.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Zora C Penter » 20 Feb 2019, 01:11

Kelyn wrote:
19 Feb 2019, 22:03
Well, I suppose the title could have been a hint...if you actually knew to look for one. To me, it sounds like a case of mismarketing. Did the blurb give any indication that it was a book about faith healing rather than, say, natural healing or modern medicine? To me, it sounds mildly interesting, if only for the amusement factor. Really though, I'm glad I read your review before I ran across it. Now I know to avoid it. Thanks!
Thank you for reading the review! The blurb does not give any indication of faith healing, and definitely not something like a mashup of crystal healing and faith healing. And those elements make up multiple steps in the protocol!

User avatar
kaymontacell
Posts: 124
Joined: 16 Jul 2018, 10:21
Currently Reading: Becoming the Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaymontacell.html
Latest Review: Demon Heart by David Crane

Post by kaymontacell » 20 Feb 2019, 10:27

Thanks for the review. I'm not a big fan of the sort of "cosmos healing stuff" so I'll probably give this book a skip. It's a shame that the book doesn't seem to be marketing itself correctly, as I would have come to the same conclusion you did given the summary.
"No way but forward!"

User avatar
BelleReadsNietzsche
Posts: 471
Joined: 28 Jan 2019, 19:07
2019 Reading Goal: 36
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 27
Currently Reading: The Handmaid's Tale
Bookshelf Size: 288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bellereadsnietzsche.html
Latest Review: I Can See Peace by Julie Penshorn
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by BelleReadsNietzsche » 20 Feb 2019, 13:12

Hey! This isn’t a Review of McDowell!

I suppose I’ll take it, however, because it is a thorough, specific, and well-written critical take on a book that I have only seen praised. I enjoyed and appreciated it and look forward to more from you!
"The bitter truth we critics must face is that, in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so." -Ratatouille (2007)

User avatar
unamilagra
Posts: 187
Joined: 07 Feb 2019, 22:57
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 120
Currently Reading: UnSelfie
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: The MISOGI Method by Jody B. Miller
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by unamilagra » 20 Feb 2019, 15:25

I downloaded a free copy of this book when it was available as book of the day earlier this month, and was thinking it was going to be more of a mindfulness/yoga/health conscious focused book. I am also very surprised about the cosmos focused faith healing stuff. Thank you for a very honest and thorough review of the book. I doubt I'll be reading it, but I might give it a chance. I'm just not really into "woo woo" type of stuff.

User avatar
Zora C Penter
Posts: 258
Joined: 10 Dec 2018, 16:19
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 16
Currently Reading: Every Ghost Has Its Story
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zora-c-penter.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Zora C Penter » 20 Feb 2019, 18:17

kaymontacell wrote:
20 Feb 2019, 10:27
Thanks for the review. I'm not a big fan of the sort of "cosmos healing stuff" so I'll probably give this book a skip. It's a shame that the book doesn't seem to be marketing itself correctly, as I would have come to the same conclusion you did given the summary.
It's not something I am generally interested in either! Marketing helps you find your target audience, and I don't think this one currently does.

User avatar
Zora C Penter
Posts: 258
Joined: 10 Dec 2018, 16:19
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 16
Currently Reading: Every Ghost Has Its Story
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zora-c-penter.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Zora C Penter » 20 Feb 2019, 18:20

BelleReadsNietzsche wrote:
20 Feb 2019, 13:12
Hey! This isn’t a Review of McDowell!

I suppose I’ll take it, however, because it is a thorough, specific, and well-written critical take on a book that I have only seen praised. I enjoyed and appreciated it and look forward to more from you!
I get more reading time than writing time, so I had three books sitting on read but no reviews finished. The next will be McDowell, I promise!

User avatar
Zora C Penter
Posts: 258
Joined: 10 Dec 2018, 16:19
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 16
Currently Reading: Every Ghost Has Its Story
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zora-c-penter.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Zora C Penter » 20 Feb 2019, 18:22

unamilagra wrote:
20 Feb 2019, 15:25
I downloaded a free copy of this book when it was available as book of the day earlier this month, and was thinking it was going to be more of a mindfulness/yoga/health conscious focused book. I am also very surprised about the cosmos focused faith healing stuff. Thank you for a very honest and thorough review of the book. I doubt I'll be reading it, but I might give it a chance. I'm just not really into "woo woo" type of stuff.
Yeah, the day after I received a free copy, I got an email asking if I wanted to review. Since I have reviewed another natural healing book and am interested in psychology, I thought this would be a good fit.

Just to warn you, the March BotM is also pretty "woo woo," especially in the beginning.

User avatar
BelleReadsNietzsche
Posts: 471
Joined: 28 Jan 2019, 19:07
2019 Reading Goal: 36
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 27
Currently Reading: The Handmaid's Tale
Bookshelf Size: 288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bellereadsnietzsche.html
Latest Review: I Can See Peace by Julie Penshorn
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by BelleReadsNietzsche » 20 Feb 2019, 19:20

Zora C Penter wrote:
20 Feb 2019, 18:20
BelleReadsNietzsche wrote:
20 Feb 2019, 13:12
Hey! This isn’t a Review of McDowell!

I suppose I’ll take it, however, because it is a thorough, specific, and well-written critical take on a book that I have only seen praised. I enjoyed and appreciated it and look forward to more from you!
I get more reading time than writing time, so I had three books sitting on read but no reviews finished. The next will be McDowell, I promise!
The same is true for me! No worries, I’m just eager. :)
"The bitter truth we critics must face is that, in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so." -Ratatouille (2007)

User avatar
unamilagra
Posts: 187
Joined: 07 Feb 2019, 22:57
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 120
Currently Reading: UnSelfie
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: The MISOGI Method by Jody B. Miller
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by unamilagra » 20 Feb 2019, 22:31

Zora C Penter wrote:
20 Feb 2019, 18:22
unamilagra wrote:
20 Feb 2019, 15:25
I downloaded a free copy of this book when it was available as book of the day earlier this month, and was thinking it was going to be more of a mindfulness/yoga/health conscious focused book. I am also very surprised about the cosmos focused faith healing stuff. Thank you for a very honest and thorough review of the book. I doubt I'll be reading it, but I might give it a chance. I'm just not really into "woo woo" type of stuff.
Yeah, the day after I received a free copy, I got an email asking if I wanted to review. Since I have reviewed another natural healing book and am interested in psychology, I thought this would be a good fit.

Just to warn you, the March BotM is also pretty "woo woo," especially in the beginning.
Thanks for the warning! Yes, I had already looked into that book and decided against reading it. :wink:

User avatar
teacherjh
Posts: 1386
Joined: 15 Apr 2018, 23:16
2018 Reading Goal: 48
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 100
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: Bloom Where Planted by Winifred Grace and Ava McCarthy

Post by teacherjh » 21 Feb 2019, 12:24

This sound a little too far out there for me although thinking of the body part in pain as it's own person is interesting.

User avatar
Zora C Penter
Posts: 258
Joined: 10 Dec 2018, 16:19
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 16
Currently Reading: Every Ghost Has Its Story
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zora-c-penter.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Zora C Penter » 21 Feb 2019, 13:40

teacherjh wrote:
21 Feb 2019, 12:24
This sound a little too far out there for me although thinking of the body part in pain as it's own person is interesting.
That part was pretty interesting! I just wasn't ready for some other parts as a reader. :)

User avatar
Firefawkes
Posts: 274
Joined: 27 Dec 2018, 11:17
2019 Reading Goal: 60
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 25
Currently Reading: Advent of Darkness
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-firefawkes.html
Latest Review: Seven at Two Past Five by Tara Basi

Post by Firefawkes » 22 Feb 2019, 10:00

While I find the initial idea of negative feelings causing pain to be intriguing, I too find the use of magic and related healing to be a little hard to swallow! If it works for some then all the more power to them, but I'll personally pass on reading this book! Thanks for you review :)

User avatar
Cleis
Posts: 69
Joined: 30 May 2015, 15:24
2019 Reading Goal: 30
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 73
Favorite Book: Garments Against Women
Currently Reading: Americanah
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-indepaintence.html
Latest Review: Ironbark Hill by Jennie Linnane

Post by Cleis » 22 Feb 2019, 14:09

Yikes! You are write to pull those masc/fem quotes. Absolutely sounds like this book didn't get a professional eye. I don't think I can trust the ideas this author communicates with so many inconsistencies, regardless of whether or not I buy into praying to the cosmos. Thank you for your review!

Post Reply

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”