Review by nooregano -- Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
nooregano
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nooregano.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Dirtbag waitress by Alice Auditore

Review by nooregano -- Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis

Post by nooregano »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Gringo" by Dan "Tito" Davis.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Gringo: My Life on the Edge as an International Fugitive by Dan “Tito” Davis and Peter Conti is an idiosyncratic, action-packed biographical account of Dan’s thirteen-year run from the law. It’s an astonishing story, chronicling his wild adventures through different countries, identities and companionships. The fugitive began as an innocent entrepreneur, peddling drugs such as ephedrine, weed and small amounts of cocaine while not knowing fully what he was getting himself into. He later spent his life on the run for a crime he was falsely accused of, which was selling meth. The book follows him through his adventures in Colombia, Guatemala, Venezuela, Cuba, Germany, India and Thailand.

The writing was conversational, light-hearted and candid. The language was not meant to be the focus of this story, although its informal nature sometimes lent the narrative style a forced, overly-offhanded tone. Something I found fascinating about the narrative style was the gaping lack of feeling in the story. Although Dan touches upon emotions that he had felt at different events, they were described briefly in a few words, such as “I was scared,” even if the scene unfolding was an intense one. For this reason, I couldn’t quite get myself into the shoes of the character. On the other hand, there was an incredible amount of self-awareness in a logical sense. Often, Peter and Dan break down Dan’s logical process in an elaborate manner and spend time ruminating on how his previous logic was flawed. The introspective aspect of the story appears to be a deeply analytical one, and it was a pleasure to see how that panned out. It’s a type of process I don’t find too often in narrative-style books.

It was enjoyable to read accounts of the different places Dan took refuge in and how he avoided the law with the help of his associates or by finding loopholes in the system. The book gives the reader a glimpse into societies that most will never experience, as well as the activities in the underbellies of those societies. Through these anecdotes, the reader may experience an expansion of his or her understanding of the human condition. The social, behavioural and relational dynamics of these places were notably unique as they were distinctive to that time and built upon volatile premises during times of political upheaval. Peter and Dan struck an extraordinary balance between being honest and being compassionate when talking about different people and their cultures. There were a lot of characters and descriptions of cultures in this story. They take every person on a case-by-case basis, and rarely generalise a people or pass judgement on a culture, regardless of how out-of-the-ordinary their practices were to Dan. However, they still say what they want to say and recreate what Dan saw, not compromising on the story-telling of his experience.

One issue I had with this book was that it became well-paced only towards the end. In the beginning, there were so many characters and details that it was hard to keep track of them all. Dan’s adventures in Medellín, his first main destination, were extensively chronicled for a large part of the book. After that, it felt as though they lost steam to write about other places with the same enthusiasm, making the story more streamlined and fast-paced. However, it was not nearly as badly-paced as it could have been and was by and large a well-told and gripping novel. For this reason, I give the book 4 out of 4 stars. There were no typos and the book seemed to be well-edited. There was only one instance where I found a factual error, where Peter and Dan had used the word “Hindu” instead of “Hindi.” However, this is a common mistake and a widespread piece of misinformation, and I wouldn’t attribute it to a lack of editing.

I would recommend this book to adrenaline junkies who are interested in action or crime stories. I’d also urge anyone who wants more perspective on the variety of human lives to read this book. Finally, I’d prescribe Gringo to anyone who enjoys a bizarre story for its own sake.

Gringo
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like nooregano's review? Post a comment saying so!
"I speak only one language, and it is not my own." - Jacques Derrida
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

This one's a superb analysis of Gringo. Drugs are not for me, but this story may give me a high. You seem to dislike some weed yourself, nooregano!
BelleReadsNietzsche
Currently Reading: The Handmaid's Tale
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bellereadsnietzsche.html
Latest Review: I Can See Peace by Julie Penshorn
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by BelleReadsNietzsche »

Miriam Molina wrote: 18 Feb 2019, 16:15 This one's a superb analysis of Gringo. Drugs are not for me, but this story may give me a high. You seem to dislike some weed yourself, nooregano!
I haven’t read the book, but I’m compelled to agree with Miriam. You seem to summarize well here many of the other things I’ve heard about why people like or dislike this book (all in one review!).

I think this was my favorite part:
Something I found fascinating about the narrative style was the gaping lack of feeling in the story. Although Dan touches upon emotions that he had felt at different events, they were described briefly in a few words, such as “I was scared,” even if the scene unfolding was an intense one. For this reason, I couldn’t quite get myself into the shoes of the character. On the other hand, there was an incredible amount of self-awareness in a logical sense.
I just like everything about how you’ve said this, and feel like I’ve read books like this before too. Do you feel like that’s reflective of the author’s character/way of processing things?

I’m in the middle of a fiction book with a male first-person narrator (written by a male author) who has an incredibly diverse cibversational style, and he apologizes to his audience every time he describes having an emotion. It’s really interesting.
"The bitter truth we critics must face is that, in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so." -Ratatouille (2007)
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

Thanks for this comprehensive review. Gringo is really an awesome person who hid his identity in such a skillful way
from the law agencies.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
kaymontacell
Currently Reading: Becoming the Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaymontacell.html
Latest Review: Demon Heart by David Crane

Post by kaymontacell »

Thanks for the review! The gap between illustrating emotion to people and the emotions the author is personally feeling. Despite that, it seemed that it wasn't that big of a problem if you gave it 4 stars. I'll check it out!
"No way but forward!"
Zora C Penter
Currently Reading: Every Ghost Has Its Story
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zora-c-penter.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Zora C Penter »

I was astonished by how much I liked reading about Tito considering he had his hands in so many things I don't approve of!
labibliofile
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-labibliofile.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by labibliofile »

I read Gringo recently and I also noticed the lack of emotions. Though the same may be attributed to the fact that Peter is writing Dan's story so he probably couldn't incorporate feelings into the book as he wasn't the one who experienced them!

However, the book makes tall claims to be the best adventure and I don't feel it lived up to the same. Like you, even I found an error where the name of the city Varanasi was misspelt, whether that was due to a fault in editing or a factual error, I don't know - but a simple Google search could have easily solved the problem.

I didn't like the book as much, but I'm glad that you enjoyed the book! :)
"Growth is the essence of life."
nooregano
Currently Reading:

Post by nooregano »

Miriam Molina wrote: 18 Feb 2019, 16:15 This one's a superb analysis of Gringo. Drugs are not for me, but this story may give me a high. You seem to dislike some weed yourself, nooregano!
Hahaha! Thanks for stopping by, Miriam! Have a great day! :D
nooregano
Currently Reading:

Post by nooregano »

BelleReadsNietzsche wrote: 18 Feb 2019, 21:15
Something I found fascinating about the narrative style was the gaping lack of feeling in the story. Although Dan touches upon emotions that he had felt at different events, they were described briefly in a few words, such as “I was scared,” even if the scene unfolding was an intense one. For this reason, I couldn’t quite get myself into the shoes of the character. On the other hand, there was an incredible amount of self-awareness in a logical sense.
I just like everything about how you’ve said this, and feel like I’ve read books like this before too. Do you feel like that’s reflective of the author’s character/way of processing things?

I’m in the middle of a fiction book with a male first-person narrator (written by a male author) who has an incredibly diverse cibversational style, and he apologizes to his audience every time he describes having an emotion. It’s really interesting.
I do feel like it's reflective of the author's way of processing things, and I think so for a kind of weird reason. Do you know about Carl Jung's cognitive functions?

And whoa, what book is that? That sounds like a really, really interesting book!
nooregano
Currently Reading:

Post by nooregano »

Sarah Tariq wrote: 19 Feb 2019, 08:15 Thanks for this comprehensive review. Gringo is really an awesome person who hid his identity in such a skillful way
from the law agencies.
He sure was, Sarah! Thanks for stopping by!
nooregano
Currently Reading:

Post by nooregano »

kaymontacell wrote: 19 Feb 2019, 15:58 Thanks for the review! The gap between illustrating emotion to people and the emotions the author is personally feeling. Despite that, it seemed that it wasn't that big of a problem if you gave it 4 stars. I'll check it out!
It's worth checking out :) Thanks!
nooregano
Currently Reading:

Post by nooregano »

Zora C Penter wrote: 19 Feb 2019, 16:08 I was astonished by how much I liked reading about Tito considering he had his hands in so many things I don't approve of!
Hahahaha, I love this comment!
nooregano
Currently Reading:

Post by nooregano »

labibliofile wrote: 21 Feb 2019, 13:36 I read Gringo recently and I also noticed the lack of emotions. Though the same may be attributed to the fact that Peter is writing Dan's story so he probably couldn't incorporate feelings into the book as he wasn't the one who experienced them!

However, the book makes tall claims to be the best adventure and I don't feel it lived up to the same. Like you, even I found an error where the name of the city Varanasi was misspelt, whether that was due to a fault in editing or a factual error, I don't know - but a simple Google search could have easily solved the problem.

I didn't like the book as much, but I'm glad that you enjoyed the book! :)
That's pretty interesting, actually. I suppose it did imply that it was some kind of epic adventure that nobody has never had. That actually changes my feelings towards the book a little bit. I'll have to think about that! Thanks for stopping by, have a great day!
Laura Ungureanu
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: The Guardians of Erum and the Calamitous Child of Socotra
Bookshelf Size: 1392
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-ungureanu.html
Latest Review: Love and Marriage by Arthur Hartz

Post by Laura Ungureanu »

Colombia, Guatemala, Venezuela, Cuba, Germany, India, and Thailand sound like amazing locations to visit with this book. Thank you for recommending this book! I really enjoyed your review.
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: People we meet on vacation
Bookshelf Size: 2398
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

I reviewed this book too and I think I have a different perspective due to my own Latin American background. Although I agree that, overall, Dan doesn't generalize people or cultures, his views and opinions on many customs, habits and social behaviors are clouded with Americentrism. It's understandable since we all see life through our own cultures.
I found many errors, especially in the parts written in Spanish. I understand it's not the author's native language, and it can be hard (I still struggle with English grammar!), but I think it would've been appropriate to hire a proofreader with thorough knowledge of Spanish, as it can come across as annoying and even disrespectful.
I agree that the narrative voice is light-hearted, and I enjoyed the book very much. It's action-packed and full of twists and interesting characters.
It was fascinating to read your perspective. Thank you.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”