Review by ChydeanmahE95 -- Randy Love...at your service

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
ChydeanmahE95
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 9
Currently Reading: Baggage
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chydeanmahe95.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Review by ChydeanmahE95 -- Randy Love...at your service

Post by ChydeanmahE95 » 16 Feb 2019, 09:52

[Following is a volunteer review of "Randy Love...at your service" by Shay Carter.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Randy strikes me as one who is simply enjoying life as it is, being very carefree and negligent. He is a person whose reasoning and decisions always lands him in trouble. The unplanned, unexpected last child of John and Marjorie Love, whose siblings are way older than him, he views life as an opportunity to dominate and deceive people, both men, and women, taking pride in his various escapades. I got the feeling that the author was trying to paint him as the greatest conman alive.

Randy Love at your Service is a book full of humor. I was constantly amused and laughing hysterically at the events playing out in the book. The usage of British slangs scattered here and there made the book more enjoyable. Thankfully, for those who would not be able to understand them, their meanings were written at the end of the book, also in humorous language. Randy’s habit of referring to women older than 24 as ‘old birds’ struck me as weird, but I suppose it helped in consolidating his character.

At a point, I felt like the book was lacking severely in character development because most of its pages were centered on Randy. However, as I continued reading, I started to get a bit more understanding about Heather and James Love, Randy’s older siblings. I do think it took a long time coming, however.

Shay Carter did a great job with this one although I was constantly annoyed at the fact that Randy always seemed to get away with everything. I kept turning pages to find out if lightning would strike him and restore his senses to default so he can start anew, this time with a purpose and direction in life.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. This is because I did not notice any plot twists. The book was monotonous in a kind of way. Also, there were several grammatical and punctuation errors that interrupted my flow of reading. One particular punctuation error jumped out at me many times which is putting a comma after ‘and’ at the most inappropriate times such as ‘I believe, and, quite frankly’ or ‘the baby arrived as a male and, not wanting to upset his very tired wife…’ These are two examples of many such errors.

Readers of books of comedy and humor should avail themselves of this book. People wanting to relax after a hectic day should also get this book. Children should not be allowed access. It contains strong languages not exactly appealing to the ears.

Randy Love...at your service
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like ChydeanmahE95's review? Post a comment saying so!
The faintest pen is sharper than the mightiest sword.

BelleReadsNietzsche
2019 Reading Goal: 36
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 27
Currently Reading: The Handmaid's Tale
Bookshelf Size: 288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bellereadsnietzsche.html
Latest Review: I Can See Peace by Julie Penshorn
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by BelleReadsNietzsche » 21 Feb 2019, 00:43

I just don’t think I could stand Randy, although I think his family members sound interesting based on your and others’ reviews. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this one! Glad the humor worked for you. :)
"The bitter truth we critics must face is that, in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so." -Ratatouille (2007)

ChydeanmahE95
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 9
Currently Reading: Baggage
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chydeanmahe95.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by ChydeanmahE95 » 21 Feb 2019, 13:13

BelleReadsNietzsche wrote:
21 Feb 2019, 00:43
I just don’t think I could stand Randy, although I think his family members sound interesting based on your and others’ reviews. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this one! Glad the humor worked for you. :)
Thank you for stopping by.
The faintest pen is sharper than the mightiest sword.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”