Review by labibliofile -- Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
labibliofile
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-labibliofile.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Review by labibliofile -- Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by labibliofile »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I absolutely love a book that manages to get me involved to the extent I can picture the world curated in the book. Raven’s Peak, the first installment in the World on Fire series, is one such book and the author, Lincoln Cole has done an incredible job.

Raven’s Peak is not only fast-paced but also has fascinating twists and turns gripping your interest, making you curious to know what will happen next. It is an exhilarating and exciting paranormal thriller which has it all - mystery, horror, adventure, action, and dark humour.

The female protagonist, Abigail is confident, intelligent and feisty. She is always breaking the rules, but at the same time, she is also constantly trying to establish that she can be trusted by the Council; an organization that protects the world from the supernatural.

She is on a quest to find the person she has a deep reverence for and the one who saved her life: her mentor.

Haatim is a blogger and a theology student. He is a quiet person who is grieving the loss of his sister and is constantly lost and confused. He has been in the dark for years and discovers some unnerving truths about himself and his family in the process.

He meets George Wertman in a library, who claims that Abigail wants to kill George and offers to pay Haatim to follow her. While he is skeptical at first, he hesitantly accepts the offer.

In a turnaround of events, Abigail is the one who actually saves his life. When he meets Abigail, he is thrown into a whirlwind of adventure and into a world, he had studied, but never believed to exist.

Raven’s Peak follows Abigail and Haatim, two very different people, in their adventures where they selflessly fight together as a team, to save themselves and the others from the demons.

In the course of their escapade, they go to a small town called Raven’s Peak, where they must find the reason behind the havoc which has made the people of Raven Peak go crazy and help restore everything to normal. Will they find out the reason behind the insanity of the people of Raven's Peak? Will they be able to solve the mystery behind the death of the five college kids? Will Abigail find her mentor? Most importantly, will they make it back safely while ensuring that others are safe too?

If you are into supernatural or fantasy, this book is a must-read. However, while the book is not overly gruesome, it is quite violent, so it is best you stay away if you are easily squeamish, or if you aren’t the type of person who can watch a horror movie in the dark.

I rate Raven’s Peak by Lincoln Cole 3 out of 4 stars. Although I liked Lincoln Cole’s precise writing style, there is a missed opportunity for some great character development. There are a few awkward and confusing sentences, that I had to reread a few times to understand the meaning. Also, there are some grammatical errors which lead me to believe that the book is not well edited.

At the same time, I must appreciate the fact that action scenes are generally very complex to write, and to make the reader involved and follow the scene, is another task, which in my opinion, Lincoln Cole has achieved.

Raven’s Peak does not focus or advocate any religion in particular, but rather the concept of faith and trust and the belief that it can supersede even physical power. Thus, I recommend that, if you are abstaining from reading this book because you are an atheist or do not believe in a certain religion, you should not let that deter you from reading this book.

The prologue is as thrilling as it could be and piqued my interest to read more, the conclusion is also just as spine-tingling.
Raven’s Peak has a great beginning and an even better end to the book. The epilogue also sets up a brilliant premise, promising me an even worthier sequel that I look forward to reading.

The writing is extremely captivating, and the writing style combined with the plot is even better!

Raven's Peak
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like labibliofile's review? Post a comment saying so!
"Growth is the essence of life."
nooregano
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nooregano.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Dirtbag waitress by Alice Auditore

Post by nooregano »

I like your review style of small, easily-digestible paragraphs. Thanks for the awesome review, Raven's Peak sounds like a great read!
"I speak only one language, and it is not my own." - Jacques Derrida
Zimall
Favorite Author: Atilla K. Zengin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zimall.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis
fav_author_id: 156933

Post by Zimall »

I loved the the way author wrote action scenes. I felt myself dodging bullets along with the characters. The prologue was gripping and fantastic.
Thanks a lot for the review labibliofile☺
"All That is Gold Does Not Glitter
Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost"
labibliofile
Currently Reading:

Post by labibliofile »

nooregano wrote: 18 Feb 2019, 00:07 I like your review style of small, easily-digestible paragraphs. Thanks for the awesome review, Raven's Peak sounds like a great read!
Thank you for the kind comment and hope you enjoy reading Raven's Peak should you choose to read it. :)
labibliofile
Currently Reading:

Post by labibliofile »

Zimall wrote: 18 Feb 2019, 03:48 I loved the the way author wrote action scenes. I felt myself dodging bullets along with the characters. The prologue was gripping and fantastic.
Thanks a lot for the review labibliofile☺
Glad to know you enjoyed reading it! Thank you for the comment!
BelleReadsNietzsche
Currently Reading: The Handmaid's Tale
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bellereadsnietzsche.html
Latest Review: I Can See Peace by Julie Penshorn
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by BelleReadsNietzsche »

nooregano wrote: 18 Feb 2019, 00:07 I like your review style of small, easily-digestible paragraphs. Thanks for the awesome review, Raven's Peak sounds like a great read!
I have to agree with nooregano! That’s something I really struggle with, but your review here is readable and clear while making great points. I appreciate your ability to communicate how much you enjoyed this one, what readers might be concerned about, and what you identify it’s flaws to be. Thanks for a great review !
"The bitter truth we critics must face is that, in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so." -Ratatouille (2007)
labibliofile
Currently Reading:

Post by labibliofile »

BelleReadsNietzsche wrote: 18 Feb 2019, 21:10
I have to agree with nooregano! That’s something I really struggle with, but your review here is readable and clear while making great points. I appreciate your ability to communicate how much you enjoyed this one, what readers might be concerned about, and what you identify it’s flaws to be. Thanks for a great review !
Thank you so much for the kind words! I am still struggling with being grammatically correct in my reviews, but I'm glad that you liked the review!
Zora C Penter
Currently Reading: Every Ghost Has Its Story
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zora-c-penter.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Zora C Penter »

Thank you for mentioning the faith affiliation within the book. While I am not an atheist, I do not really enjoy having religion as the main focus of my fiction. This sounds more like the strength of the human heart and determination!
labibliofile
Currently Reading:

Post by labibliofile »

Zora C Penter wrote: 19 Feb 2019, 16:20 Thank you for mentioning the faith affiliation within the book. While I am not an atheist, I do not really enjoy having religion as the main focus of my fiction. This sounds more like the strength of the human heart and determination!
Glad I could help! The book does have religious aspects to it, but it certainly isn't preaching a particular religion it's more from the concept that God and Demons both exist and that with enough faith, trust and determination you can defeat even the strongest!

Thank you for your honest comment!
unamilagra
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: Powerballs by Jimmy Clifton
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by unamilagra »

Thanks for a very thorough review. It seems like there is a lot going on, with the supernatural, thriller, and religious aspects all tied into one book. I'm glad it was able to keep you on the edge of your seat from beginning to end!
labibliofile
Currently Reading:

Post by labibliofile »

unamilagra wrote: 20 Feb 2019, 15:17 Thanks for a very thorough review. It seems like there is a lot going on, with the supernatural, thriller, and religious aspects all tied into one book. I'm glad it was able to keep you on the edge of your seat from beginning to end!
Indeed, there is a lot going on and something for everyone! Thank you for stopping by! :)
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

This is a book that I have been meaning to read for the longest time. Your review again reminded me about the experience I am missing. I have to meet (and conquer!) those demons soon!

P.S. I have no issue with watching horror movies in the dark and alone in the middle of the night. Do I sound creepy?

Last bumped by labibliofile on 02 Mar 2019, 06:38.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”