Review by Mbrooks2518 -- MY FRIEND Marilyn

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbrooks2518.html
Latest Review: The Portal by Russell Cederberg

Review by Mbrooks2518 -- MY FRIEND Marilyn

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "MY FRIEND Marilyn" by Christopher Lentz.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

To be honest, I don’t usually go for historical fiction, but MY FRIEND Marilyn by Christopher Lentz caught my eye, so I decided to give it a shot. I am glad I did, because I loved it! It is the first book in the Great American Destination Series, and I will be keeping an eye out for the next one.

In 1958, Penny Parker is an overweight dime store cashier. She wins a contest to be Marilyn Monroe’s go-to girl during the eight day location shoot for Some Like it Hot at the Hotel Del Coronado, called The Del. Penny quickly becomes friends with Marilyn. She also meets a charming, handsome man, who is not what he appears to be, and his young son, who is also keeping secrets. Marilyn also begins receiving gifts from an obsessed fan. Needless to say, the eight days Penny spends with Marilyn change her life forever.

The themes in this story are friendship, body image and self-acceptance. Penny and Marilyn become close friends with Marilyn becoming Penny’s ‘fairy godmother’ and even giving her a makeover. In the end, Penny comes to regard Marilyn as the “best, best, best girlfriend” that she had always wanted, and Marilyn finds in Penny someone who sees beyond her Marilyn Monroe persona. Penny is insecure because of her weight and the way she knows that other people see her. Marilyn is also insecure due to her status as a sex symbol and as an aging star in Hollywood. They bond over their insecurities, and their friendship helps them both to realize that what they look like on the outside doesn’t matter nearly as much as what is on the inside.

The story is told in the first-person from Penny’s perspective. Penny is a fun character. She’s relatable and very funny. As I said before, she is insecure about her weight but refuses to let her weight define her. Instead, she wears mismatched earrings, colorful clothes and has a big personality. She says at one point that she chose to stand out for those reasons instead of her weight. One of the author’s notes at the beginning of the book says that he based her character on Melissa McCarthy, and I could easily imagine her as Penny. In general, Lentz did a great job of making his fictional characters feel as real as the historical ones.

The plot also had a mystery and thriller aspect to it with Marilyn’s obsessed fan and the charming man Penny meets, which added some excitement to the story. I would have liked it if this part of the plot was given a little more attention. The resolution of both plot points felt a bit sudden. However, that may have more to do with my personal taste, because I love mysteries.

There was also a supernatural twist to the story that I didn’t expect but liked. Ghosts were often mentioned. In particular, the ghost of Kate Morgan, who haunts The Del, was mentioned by many characters throughout the story. Ouija boards were also mentioned and used multiple times.

Unfortunately, I found many editing mistakes. Most of the mistakes were missing commas, which did not affect my enjoyment of the story. However, there were a couple of bigger mistakes; an out of order sentence, and a character was called the wrong name. There were also a couple of times where I could not tell who was speaking during the dialogue, which did interrupt the flow of the story as I reread it to try and figure out who was speaking.

I give this book 3 out of 4 stars, but I would have happily given it 4 stars if there hadn’t been so many editing mistakes. There is quite a bit of sexual humor, so it is only appropriate for an adult audience. I recommend it to fans of Marilyn Monroe and anyone who enjoys stories about friendship and self-acceptance with some romance.

MY FRIEND Marilyn
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like Mbrooks2518's review? Post a comment saying so!
Zimall
Favorite Author: Atilla K. Zengin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zimall.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis
fav_author_id: 156933

Post by Zimall »

I read that book and i think the characterization wasn't that good. It seemed the author had paid attention only on few characters and rest of the characters were neglected and the story lost much of it's charm.
Thanks a lot for the review Mbrooks☺
"All That is Gold Does Not Glitter
Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost"
BelleReadsNietzsche
Currently Reading: The Handmaid's Tale
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bellereadsnietzsche.html
Latest Review: I Can See Peace by Julie Penshorn
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by BelleReadsNietzsche »

Oh, interesting that there is a supernatural element! I hadn’t read that before. I am glad you enjoyed the book. I like books with female leads of shapes and sizes that don’t necessarily match society’s ideals, and I like stories that give Marilyn more of her due. However, other readers’ feelings that the characterization wasn’t strong probably means I’ll skip this one.

Thanks for the review!
"The bitter truth we critics must face is that, in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so." -Ratatouille (2007)
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

Zimall wrote: 16 Feb 2019, 03:58 I read that book and i think the characterization wasn't that good. It seemed the author had paid attention only on few characters and rest of the characters were neglected and the story lost much of it's charm.
Thanks a lot for the review Mbrooks☺
I can see how you would feel that way, although it didn't bother me. Thanks for commenting.
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

BelleReadsNietzsche wrote: 16 Feb 2019, 04:09 Oh, interesting that there is a supernatural element! I hadn’t read that before. I am glad you enjoyed the book. I like books with female leads of shapes and sizes that don’t necessarily match society’s ideals, and I like stories that give Marilyn more of her due. However, other readers’ feelings that the characterization wasn’t strong probably means I’ll skip this one.

Thanks for the review!
Understandable. Thanks for commenting!
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

I have only one thing in common with Marilyn Monroe: our initials. Even while regarded as the greatest sex symbol, Marilyn is depicted here as a woman with insecurities. That gives us women food for thought. Let's beautify the inside; it's what really counts in the end.
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

Miriam Molina wrote: 16 Feb 2019, 20:19 I have only one thing in common with Marilyn Monroe: our initials. Even while regarded as the greatest sex symbol, Marilyn is depicted here as a woman with insecurities. That gives us women food for thought. Let's beautify the inside; it's what really counts in the end.
Definitely. Thanks for commenting!
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by briellejee »

Wow, didn't know there's a ghost in this book. I am not a fan of Marilyn so I'll be skipping this. However, glad to know that you enjoyed it despite the mistakes. Thanks for this review! :tiphat:
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

briellejee wrote: 17 Feb 2019, 08:42 Wow, didn't know there's a ghost in this book. I am not a fan of Marilyn so I'll be skipping this. However, glad to know that you enjoyed it despite the mistakes. Thanks for this review! :tiphat:
Thanks for commenting!
kaymontacell
Currently Reading: Becoming the Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaymontacell.html
Latest Review: Demon Heart by David Crane

Post by kaymontacell »

Thanks for the review! This sounds like such a wholesome book in a way with its positive messages. Maybe I'll pick it up soon.
"No way but forward!"
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

kaymontacell wrote: 19 Feb 2019, 20:50 Thanks for the review! This sounds like such a wholesome book in a way with its positive messages. Maybe I'll pick it up soon.
Thanks for commenting!
Kristin Ransome
Currently Reading: Way of Kings
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-firefawkes.html
Latest Review: The Augur's View by Victoria Lehrer

Post by Kristin Ransome »

This isn't a book I had initially planned on reading, but you make it sound so intriguing! As unfortunate as the mistakes are, I still hope to read this book in the future! Thanks for your review:)
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

I hope you get the chance to read it. Thanks for commenting!
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

Though I am not big fan of supernatural element. But the book offers a good theme. Thanks for this great review.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now
Bookshelf Size: 408
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

Seemingly the book is not of my type. Thanks for the nice review 👍👍
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”