Review by Jessacardinal -- Final Notice by Van Fleisher

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Jessacardinal
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 20
2018 Reading Goal: 40
Currently Reading: The Lost Identity Casualties
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessacardinal.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Review by Jessacardinal -- Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Jessacardinal » 14 Feb 2019, 14:39

[Following is a volunteer review of "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Final Notice by Van Fleisher is a fictional novel consisting of thirty-one thrilling chapters. The easy-to-read plot follows main characters Vince and Trudi Fuller and Vijay Patel through a period of growth of both technology and the use of guns in America. Vince and Trudi are retired seniors who, after experiencing a life-threatening accident, consider the times they live in and decide to purchase their very first firearm as a form of self-protection. Little do they know how newly acquired gadgets such as the gun, a laptop, and a watch which predicts the time of death are about to change their lives.

Meanwhile, Vijay Patel has recently developed a new watch that accurately measures and analyzes the health of the person wearing the device. The watch, which can provide the wearer and their family members with a final notice of impending death, could have positive effects on the lives of Vijay’s family. However, Vijay will be forced to weigh the importance of improving life for his family against the negative impact the watch has on those with access to guns across America.

I appreciate the way the author uses Vince and Trudi’s lacking knowledge regarding guns to introduce firearm facts and statistics to readers. I also like how the author uses the plot to shed light on additional real-life issues such as an overwhelming amount of time spent browsing social media, racial profiling and prejudices, and fake news, to name a few.

There are a few things I do not like about Final Notice. An underlying tone assumes all firearms owners will inevitably commit some vicious crime. I do not agree with this line of thinking; therefore, it was, at times, difficult for me to read through the material. While several chapters discuss topics which typically bore me, such as politicians and politics, the script adds to the overall plot. There are two incidences in this second edition where it seems the author made notes within the text for future editing opportunities. Unfortunately, the notes remain in the place of the desired text. These misplaced notes cause some confusion and distract the reader. Lastly, the book seems to end abruptly, sans cliff hanger. I was ever-so-thankful to turn to the next page to find an Epilogue that wrapped things up quite beautifully.

Final Notice is well edited. While there are several instances of additional spaces appearing between words, I believe the occurrences are merely compatibility issues with Kindle for PC. For instance, some words have spaces between letters on the minimized view. Once the page is maximized to a full-screen view, several issues are instantly resolved.

I rate Final Notice by Van Fleisher 3 out of 4 stars due to the awkward notes left in the text. While there are a few parts of the book I do not personally care for, most of the book proves to be an absolute page-turner. Readers who do not enjoy plots involving politics, a few instances of profanity, or a graphic description of murder may not enjoy parts of this book.

Final Notice
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Like Jessacardinal's review? Post a comment saying so!
"Let's be reasonable and add an eighth day to the week that is devoted exclusively to reading." - Lena Dunham

Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 45
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 26
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 127
2017 Reading Goal: 0
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading: The Subtle Art Of Not Giving A f**k
Bookshelf Size: 337
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: And We Never Met A Nazi by Rose Tuchmann, Oscar Bing
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Bianka Walter » 16 Feb 2019, 15:57

Fleisher is absolutely biased in this book. His views are absolute, with no opposing thoughts. This is definitely an interesting way to write a book - but I agree that it's not for everyone. I happened to agree with a lot of things he said, but I cringed in a few places where I thought someone with opposing views might take offence.
And I also really liked Trudi and Vince. Which helped :)
This is a great review! Thanks!
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss

BelleReadsNietzsche
2019 Reading Goal: 36
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 27
Currently Reading: The Handmaid's Tale
Bookshelf Size: 288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bellereadsnietzsche.html
Latest Review: I Can See Peace by Julie Penshorn

Post by BelleReadsNietzsche » 16 Feb 2019, 17:10

An underlying tone assumes all firearms owners will inevitably commit some vicious crime. I do not agree with this line of thinking; therefore, it was, at times, difficult for me to read through the material. While several chapters discuss topics which typically bore me, such as politicians and politics, the script adds to the overall plot.
I actually don't agree with this, as we saw several scenarios where this was not the case. I thought the author did a good job of showing there was personal choice in how people used their guns that depended on several factors. But maybe that was my own biases being projected onto it. :)

I appreciate your thoughtful take on this book. Thank you for the review!
"The bitter truth we critics must face is that, in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so." -Ratatouille (2007)

Zora C Penter
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 18
Currently Reading: Every Ghost Has Its Story
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zora-c-penter.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Zora C Penter » 16 Feb 2019, 21:01

We had the same rating! I too enjoyed the novel, and had the same problem with some of the formatting. Some chapters were justified while others weren't which made the transition more jarring I think.

Rose Harebate
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 26
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rose-harebate.html
Latest Review: Family Honor-III by T. O'Neil Charity

Post by Rose Harebate » 18 Feb 2019, 00:53

I like the fact that the author provides a much needed information to readers who know little to nothing about firearms. The plot seems intriguing. Thanks for a review.

Jessacardinal

Post by Jessacardinal » 18 Feb 2019, 13:13

Bianka Walter wrote:
16 Feb 2019, 15:57
Fleisher is absolutely biased in this book. His views are absolute, with no opposing thoughts. This is definitely an interesting way to write a book - but I agree that it's not for everyone. I happened to agree with a lot of things he said, but I cringed in a few places where I thought someone with opposing views might take offence.
And I also really liked Trudi and Vince. Which helped :)
This is a great review! Thanks!
Thank you for your comment. I appreciate it!
"Let's be reasonable and add an eighth day to the week that is devoted exclusively to reading." - Lena Dunham

Jessacardinal

Post by Jessacardinal » 18 Feb 2019, 13:13

Zora C Penter wrote:
16 Feb 2019, 21:01
We had the same rating! I too enjoyed the novel, and had the same problem with some of the formatting. Some chapters were justified while others weren't which made the transition more jarring I think.
Thank you for your comment!

Jessacardinal

Post by Jessacardinal » 18 Feb 2019, 13:14

Rose Harebate wrote:
18 Feb 2019, 00:53
I like the fact that the author provides a much needed information to readers who know little to nothing about firearms. The plot seems intriguing. Thanks for a review.
I agree. Thanks for commenting!

Samy Lax
2019 Reading Goal: 53
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 24
2018 Reading Goal: 38
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 118
Currently Reading: Incas
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samy-lax.html
Latest Review: The Legend: Revealed by Cheryl Rush Cowperthwait

Post by Samy Lax » 18 Feb 2019, 23:12

I like how this book discusses a lot of current societal issues, including the high amount of time spent browsing social media and fake news. We surely need more ways to spread awareness on these topics.

Great review!
“If you're reading this...
Congratulations, you're alive.
If that's not something to smile about,
then I don't know what is.”
― Chad Sugg, Monsters Under Your Head

Jessacardinal

Post by Jessacardinal » 19 Feb 2019, 18:19

Samy Lax wrote:
18 Feb 2019, 23:12
I like how this book discusses a lot of current societal issues, including the high amount of time spent browsing social media and fake news. We surely need more ways to spread awareness on these topics.

Great review!
I agree. Thank you for the comment!

teacherjh
2018 Reading Goal: 48
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 100
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: Bloom Where Planted by Winifred Grace and Ava McCarthy

Post by teacherjh » 21 Feb 2019, 12:10

I read this one too. I liked the plot, but thought the author got a little too political.

unamilagra
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 125
Currently Reading: Emotional Intelligence Activity Book for Kids
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: The MISOGI Method by Jody B. Miller

Post by unamilagra » 21 Feb 2019, 17:39

Sounds like an interesting take, but I have to assume that an author would not choose to write about a topic like this unless he or she was trying to make a political statement. I generally try to avoid books with too many politics (books are my escape from the real world after all) but this plot line does sound intriguing. Thanks for the honest review!

Jessacardinal

Post by Jessacardinal » 21 Feb 2019, 21:23

teacherjh wrote:
21 Feb 2019, 12:10
I read this one too. I liked the plot, but thought the author got a little too political.
I agree. Thank you for your comment!

Jessacardinal

Post by Jessacardinal » 21 Feb 2019, 21:24

unamilagra wrote:
21 Feb 2019, 17:39
Sounds like an interesting take, but I have to assume that an author would not choose to write about a topic like this unless he or she was trying to make a political statement. I generally try to avoid books with too many politics (books are my escape from the real world after all) but this plot line does sound intriguing. Thanks for the honest review!
Books are usually my escape from the real world as well. Thanks for stopping by!

kaymontacell
Currently Reading: Becoming the Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaymontacell.html
Latest Review: Demon Heart by David Crane

Post by kaymontacell » 25 Feb 2019, 17:41

Thanks for the review! I'm glad you enjoyed the book and were able to get sucked into the story.
"No way but forward!"

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”