Review by CLM1978 -- Murder in Memory by Mike Thorne

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
CLM1978
2019 Reading Goal: 12
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 41
2018 Reading Goal: 10
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 40
2017 Reading Goal: 0
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 209
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clm1978.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Review by CLM1978 -- Murder in Memory by Mike Thorne

Post by CLM1978 » 14 Feb 2019, 12:38

[Following is a volunteer review of "Murder in Memory" by Mike Thorne.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Greetings to you from me! I have a new review for you. My review is for Murder in Memory by Mike Thorne.

Well, where should I start? The story took place in the Deep South in the mid-1980's, before the days of cell phones and internet. The way of communication between businesses were through fax machines, hard-wired phone lines, and U. S. Mail. The main characters involved a physically sick Psychologist, a troubled Professor, and the Chief of Police.

Mike Thorne tells a story about a man who has violent headaches and he satisfies them through a sick, twisted style of murder. The killer, whom was brought early on in the book as the Psychologist, would use a cut-throat approach of getting away with his murder style by using his vulnerable patient, the Professor, by planting his memories step-by-step into the professor's mind, using hypnosis as the method. The professor, who was already having marital problems, was the perfect solution to the psychologist's problems. He would soon have the professor believing that he was the one who killed two of his students, his wife, and her boyfriend-on-the-side, who actually happened to be the Deputy of the Harper Police Department. The Chief of Police worked very hard to get this string of murders solved before it was too late, and by the time he did, the professor willingly believed his fake memories and was committed to an institution with no intention of believing that he was betrayed or brainwashed by his therapist.

I really enjoyed this book because it pieced everything together very smoothly. I thought 'The therapist is admitting his crimes to the professor step-by-step through hypnosis and the professor is just going along with it, believing these memories were his own.' The psychologist was one slick individual to commit crimes, hypnotise, and wash his hands clean, like he never did it. The professor couldn't even figure out why his wife's car was even at the deputy's trailer as the patrol car was also there, knowingly that she was having an affair and he could have caught on to the fact that his wife and her lover was in the next room, the kitchen, sitting across from each other dead. I thought, 'How can he be so stupid? His therapist was telling him about it, and he laid there and believed what was put in his head.' He even turned himself in to the police, which he was charged with 3 counts of murder, in which one was a murder/rape, sentenced to life in the mental hospital for the sadistic style of the sexual crime. It was sad that the Chief of Police wasn't able to catch the real killer in time, but he knew there was something that wasn't right about the professor or the psychologist. He was going to help get the professor freed but was failure on the professor's part because he wanted to be there in what he called a "happy place".

I found absolutely no errors in this book and I rate it as 4 out of 4 stars. This is a great read if you are into late-night, thrilling crime mysteries.

Murder in Memory
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like CLM1978's review? Post a comment saying so!

BelleReadsNietzsche
2019 Reading Goal: 36
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 27
Currently Reading: The Handmaid's Tale
Bookshelf Size: 288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bellereadsnietzsche.html
Latest Review: I Can See Peace by Julie Penshorn
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by BelleReadsNietzsche » 16 Feb 2019, 19:45

The story took place in the Deep South in the mid-1980's, before the days of cell phones and internet. The way of communication between businesses were through fax machines, hard-wired phone lines, and U. S. Mail.
This is always so jarring to me! However, it is really convenient in terms of creating barriers for characters to communicate with each other in urgent situations. :) This sounds maybe too creepy for me, even though I like psychological thrillers. Even though I know it happens, mental health professionals exploiting patients is I guess a button for me. Thanks for the review!
"The bitter truth we critics must face is that, in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so." -Ratatouille (2007)

Zora C Penter
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 18
Currently Reading: Every Ghost Has Its Story
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zora-c-penter.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Zora C Penter » 16 Feb 2019, 20:39

I too reviewed Murder in Memory! While I did not rate it as high, I did enjoy some of the more unique aspects of the novel. However, for hypnosis to even theoretically work, the person being hypnotized has to be both highly suggestible and to already have a small inclination toward committing the act they are hypnotized to do. There was definitely a suspension of disbelief on this one!

kaymontacell
Currently Reading: Becoming the Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaymontacell.html
Latest Review: Demon Heart by David Crane

Post by kaymontacell » 17 Feb 2019, 17:08

Thanks for the review! I'm glad you enjoyed the book. Sounds like a fun thriller to read before bed.
"No way but forward!"

ButterscotchCherrie
Previous Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 104
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 21
2018 Reading Goal: 104
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 65
2017 Reading Goal: 50
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 50
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Wasn't There
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-butterscotchcherrie.html
Latest Review: Moon Dark by Patricia Barletta
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by ButterscotchCherrie » 01 Mar 2019, 10:41

Having false memories of committing a crime implanted sounds ultra-creepy! Thanks for your thorough review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”