Review by Firefawkes -- Chip’s World: Complex #31 ...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kristin Ransome
Currently Reading: Way of Kings
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-firefawkes.html
Latest Review: The Augur's View by Victoria Lehrer

Review by Firefawkes -- Chip’s World: Complex #31 ...

Post by Kristin Ransome »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Chip’s World: Complex #31 and The Caretaker" by Thomas Hill.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

What if the greatest leaders were simply following orders from a computer? All possible actions and outcomes run through an algorithm and the best course of action spit out with minimal error. A perfect world, right? Maybe… but also a very dangerous one. Chip’s World: Complex #31 and The Caretaker by Thomas Hill explores this reality through the eyes of Dean, an iron-clad computer programmer who discovers the dark side of computer technology.

The year is 2341. Robots have turned on their human creators and taken over Earth’s surface, forcing humanity into underground settlements. Dean Haggerty grew up amid war in the underground settlement of Chicallas, where he now works as one of the top computer programmers at the Cyber Network and Technology Agency (CYNATA). The only problem is that, for an expert hacker, top secret information is easy to come by. Information that others would do anything to keep secret. Following a data breach, Dean is reassigned to the uninhabited Complex #31, an outpost as far north as the underground trains will travel. Out of reach from his wife and son, he must assume the role of caretaker and maintain the otherwise empty complex. Five years in isolation seems unimaginable, until Dean unearths top secret information that the CYNATA executives will do anything to keep secret.

Thomas Hill has an art for creating believable stories. He weaves enough thorough background information into the narrative for the reader to make sense of the scenes and history. He also has a talent for painting scenery, often providing vivid descriptions of the world he created.

While the concept of this book had promise, the execution left me longing for more. I found that many of the characters lacked personality, emotion and depth, which often made it difficult to relate to them. Portions of the dialogue flow smoothly, but there were many sections where it was obvious the author was unsure how to continue. This led to many half-finished conversations and choppy dialogue that was difficult to read and comprehend.

I also found that many of the scenarios presented in this story seemed unrealistic; from easily agreeing with rivals to experiencing a major injury and appearing to forget about it for the rest of the novel. There were instances of major lifechanging events that the characters simply shrugged off without a second thought. One of the main things I found difficult to believe was that Dean, before he was sent to Complex #31, had a wife and son he loved very much but were rarely mentioned during his time in isolation. This seemed like a prime opportunity for Hill to build emotional depth into his characters, but it was unfortunately missed.

Further, the extent of grammatical and spelling errors suggest that this book was not professionally edited. In many instances, these errors interrupted the flow of the story and made some sections nearly incomprehensible.

Overall, while I enjoyed the concept of this story, the expansive number of errors and complete lack of emotion made this book a difficult read. It is because of this that I rate this book 1 out of 4 stars. I would only recommend this book to anyone interested in futuristic sci-fi novels who does not mind reading through errors. Also, due to the descriptions of gore and adult content I would not recommend this book for younger readers.

Chip’s World: Complex #31 and The Caretaker
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Firefawkes's review? Post a comment saying so!
BelleReadsNietzsche
Currently Reading: The Handmaid's Tale
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bellereadsnietzsche.html
Latest Review: I Can See Peace by Julie Penshorn
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by BelleReadsNietzsche »

. I found that many of the characters lacked personality, emotion and depth, which often made it difficult to relate to them. Portions of the dialogue flow smoothly, but there were many sections where it was obvious the author was unsure how to continue. This led to many half-finished conversations and choppy dialogue that was difficult to read and comprehend.
I find I actually care about this more than plot! Not that it necessarily matters in this case, because it sounds like the execution was all-around not up to standard. Thanks for your thoughtful and thorough review.
"The bitter truth we critics must face is that, in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so." -Ratatouille (2007)
Anthony__
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthony.html
Latest Review: Its Saddest Sound by Pirjo Marjut Vega-Brandt

Post by Anthony__ »

Wow! What a sincere review, I guess I won't read the book.
Kristin Ransome

BelleReadsNietzsche wrote: 13 Feb 2019, 01:28
. I found that many of the characters lacked personality, emotion and depth, which often made it difficult to relate to them. Portions of the dialogue flow smoothly, but there were many sections where it was obvious the author was unsure how to continue. This led to many half-finished conversations and choppy dialogue that was difficult to read and comprehend.
I find I actually care about this more than plot! Not that it necessarily matters in this case, because it sounds like the execution was all-around not up to standard. Thanks for your thoughtful and thorough review.
I find that characters have a much larger impact on a books quality than the plot! Well written characters can more than make up for a poorly thought out plot! This book, sadly, lacked on both fronts. Thanks for reading my review! :)
Kristin Ransome

Anthony__ wrote: 13 Feb 2019, 02:31 Wow! What a sincere review, I guess I won't read the book.
I tried to unearth its redeeming qualities, but the writing didnt make that easy!! Thanks for you comment :)
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by briellejee »

It's really a pity when the storyline is great and the author's writing style on the sceneries seemed to be promising but the characters lack development and depth. One thing I always looked in books are the characters. I like sci-fi novels but reading through errors decreases readability. Thanks for this honest review! :tiphat:
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
Skye45
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-skye45.html
Latest Review: The FBI Inspector by Jay Dubya

Post by Skye45 »

This almost sounds like the book Humans, Bow Down by James Patterson. Almost. Your review definitely caught my attention though, I might check it out one day just to see what it’s all about...great review 😊😊😊
Things ain't the way they used to be. Fact of business bein', they never was.
-Ladies of the Lake by Haywood Smith-
Kristin Ransome

briellejee wrote: 14 Feb 2019, 07:58 It's really a pity when the storyline is great and the author's writing style on the sceneries seemed to be promising but the characters lack development and depth. One thing I always looked in books are the characters. I like sci-fi novels but reading through errors decreases readability. Thanks for this honest review! :tiphat:
I was pretty disappointed with the characters!! Thanks for reading! :)
Kristin Ransome

Skye45 wrote: 14 Feb 2019, 17:11 This almost sounds like the book Humans, Bow Down by James Patterson. Almost. Your review definitely caught my attention though, I might check it out one day just to see what it’s all about...great review 😊😊😊
Thanks! I've read quite a bit by Patterson! I'll have to look into that one :)
Zimall
Favorite Author: Atilla K. Zengin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zimall.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis
fav_author_id: 156933

Post by Zimall »

You review would save many of us from the pain of reading an emotionless book with a lot of errors.
Thanks a lot for the review Firefawke☺
"All That is Gold Does Not Glitter
Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost"
Kristin Ransome

Zimall wrote: 18 Feb 2019, 00:59 You review would save many of us from the pain of reading an emotionless book with a lot of errors.
Thanks a lot for the review Firefawke☺
Some parts were brutal to get through, and I'm glad to save you the trouble! Thanks for commenting :)
unamilagra
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: Powerballs by Jimmy Clifton

Post by unamilagra »

What a bummer. The premise of the book sounds so interesting, but I'm definitely not up for reading through errors and unrealistic characters. Thanks for the honest review.
Kristin Ransome

unamilagra wrote: 18 Feb 2019, 22:25 What a bummer. The premise of the book sounds so interesting, but I'm definitely not up for reading through errors and unrealistic characters. Thanks for the honest review.
I definitely agree! Thanks for commenting :)
CatlynnHighlights
Currently Reading: Infinite Jest
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-catlynnhighlights.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by CatlynnHighlights »

I was extremely interested in this story after reading your summary, to the point where I was preparing to order it on my phone. I made it to the 4th paragraph and immediately was disappointed. It seems that many stories with unique premises have lackluster execution. Your review was very thorough and described everything that I look for in a book. I hope I'll encounter more of your reviews!
Comment on my review and I'll comment on yours. I'm always looking for new books to read!

"..one may smile, and smile, and be a villain." - Shakespeare
Delaney35
Currently Reading: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-delaney35.html
Latest Review: Lingering Poets by Logan Lamech

Post by Delaney35 »

The plots seems promising but based off your review I won't waste my time with this book. Thanks for your honesty!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”