Review by Momiji1987 -- The Reel Sisters

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Momiji1987
2019 Reading Goal: 300
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 1
2018 Reading Goal: 12
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 191
Favorite Author: Jordan David
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 276
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-momiji1987.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski
fav_author_id: 64963

Review by Momiji1987 -- The Reel Sisters

Post by Momiji1987 » 10 Feb 2019, 19:39

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings, is a book about four female friends with different personalities. Sophie is a tough, single lady and she runs a family farm; Rose is retired and the most experienced with fly-fishing. Amanda is a young military wife and school teacher, and Veronica is the CEO of her own company. Despite their differences, they all come together with their shared hobby. One week, the ladies meet up at Rose’s secluded cabin to bond over their love of fly-fishing. Little do they know, this trip will be more exciting than usual. Instead of catching a fish, they end up catching a young woman caught up in the current. Will the gals convert Melody into the sport of fly-fishing?

Initially, I didn’t think this book would appeal to me. Some of the women are a little rough around the edges, and I’ve never been the sporty type. However, I kept seeing this book pop up on my feed, so I finally caved in and decided to read it. In some ways, I was pleasantly surprised. The fishing is more interesting than I thought it would be. I almost wondered if I might try fishing sometime. The only complaint I can come up with is the setting is very peaceful and not the most exciting until the last half of the novel. However, each character is interesting in her own way and deals with her own unique challenges, which is why I dedicated myself to finishing this book.

Although these are very much adult women with real responsibilities, I was sort of reminded of the teens in Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants. I also liked the excerpts from fly-fishing books that provided an introduction to each woman’s real life difficulties in the following chapter. For instance, one excerpt deals with frustration and follows with Sophie dealing with an episode of frustration too. Some of the issues the women must confront are dating, loss, PTSD, and the challenges of raising a family without your significant other.

The chapters cycle through each woman’s point of view, giving the reader the opportunity to see events through each of their perspectives. I personally liked Amanda the best. Despite her youth, she arguably has to deal with the most responsibilities. Not only is her husband deployed, but she also works a full time job, and she’s the mother of two small children. Another thing I liked about the book, was learning new things. For instance, I didn’t know fish could digest metal hooks. I also like that the author advocates for fly-fishing that doesn’t hurt or kill the fish. As soon as the ladies catch a fish, they let the fish go.

The editing was excellent and very professional. I only found one error in the entire text. Therefore, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. The author’s passion for the sport is evident in every chapter, and every character is well-developed. Anyone who enjoys fishing, drama about life, and learning something new, will enjoy this book. It’s a little slower paced than many books, but a relaxing escape for people who need a break from busy life.

The Reel Sisters
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Momiji1987's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”