Review by tonks_lupin -- Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
tonks_lupin
Currently Reading: White Night
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tonks-lupin.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Review by tonks_lupin -- Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by tonks_lupin »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Adrift" by Charlie Sheldon.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

From the first sentence, Adrift captured my attention - each chapter left me hungry for the next. When a container ship called The Seattle Express catches fire in the Gulf of Alaska, it’s captain has to make a critical decision - stay on a burning ship, or subject his crew to the frigid waters of the Gulf, and the low likelihood of rescue that will entail. Meanwhile, underdog tugboat owners Louise and Larry find themselves hoping that the crews disaster could be their salvation, and strike out to capture the abandoned ship for themselves. Of course, any good novel needs an antagonist (ship fire and freezing, violent seas excluded) and we meet ours in the shipping company Buckhorn, owners of The Express and hell bent on getting their property back, who employ Pete, the single father we grow to love, back on the mainland of Washington at Sol duc pier, the finish line.

I give this novel a 3 out of 4 stars rating. This is one of those page-turning, stay-up-late-reading, think-about-what-happens-next-while-you’re-at-work kind of novels. I kept saying “just one more chapter!!”...and then saying it again three hours later… Charlie Sheldon paints a vivid picture of each character’s personality and situations, in a way that makes you feel like you understand and know them personally. They each have a voice that is all their own, and encourages the reader to have empathy for their plight - be it struggling to survive in the Gulf, recovering from a gunshot wound, or simple everyday interpersonal relationship issues- there is something here for every reader. Being a Pacific Northwest native, I was drawn to the settings chosen for the novel. I feel the author has a very good understanding of the climate and environment in the PNW and a good grasp on the types of characters who live here. It was so refreshing to read a book that talked about gray skies and rain the way I know (and love) them!

I really enjoyed the different perspectives, and the ‘roundness’ of his characters, but it left me wanting more!! This was really the only thing I didn't like about this novel; With the end of each chapter I felt a tiny bit of disappointment, though this was quickly forgotten as the next chapter’s character pulled my attention forward in the story. Realistic Fiction is not usually my wheelhouse - I have a love for sci-fi and fantasy - but the gritty, genuine qualities of this story and characters held me spellbound. I feel most readers would find something to like in this novel, though if you are looking for a romantic love story, or rainbow-sunshine-feel-good read, this may not be for you, and I would not suggest it for a younger audience as there is some adult content (violence).

The editing was excellent, and my only complaint here would be that a couple of paragraphs were worded awkwardly, but all-in-all one could understand their meaning. However, there were a couple things I would have liked more with the content. First, for a landlubber like myself, it was challenging to familiarize myself with the nautical terms (ie: aft, starboard) and ship jobs/positions. Admittedly, I have the capability to look them up on the internet, but a glossary of terms may have been helpful up front, by the maps (maybe with an blueprint of The Express and Warhorse). Second, I didn’t realize this was a sequel until Pete partially explains events from the past, but the explanation is confusing and vague - it made me feel like I had missed a chapter - I even went back to make sure I hadn’t skipped a page! Clearly, had I read the first book, I would have a deeper understanding and appreciation for the characters. Third- I wanted MORE!! I wanted so much more time with each character. It felt like we would just start to get some more depth and development, then we would be on to the next chapter. (For example: What is the whole story with Pete’s injury? Tell me more about William’s family and native spirituality. Who exactly is Sarah- what does her vision signify- we learn some of this, but I still felt left out). Finally, while we had this amazing roller coaster journey with crew members, family and friends, all of the sudden is was over. It felt like it just stopped short of closure for me, and I wanted a little more follow-through, maybe an epilogue? But then again, maybe there’s a book three!

In conclusion, I would definitely recommend this book to most adult readers. However, I would suggest reading the first book by Charlie Sheldon (Strong Heart) first- I’m going to go read it now, in the hopes of adding the depth and backstory that I was missing. All in all, an excellent read, written by a cleary experienced mariner and more than capable storyteller. Here’s hoping there’s a third novel!

Adrift
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like tonks_lupin's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”