Review by Dusamae -- The Lost Identity Casualties

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Dusamae
Favorite Book: End of the Last Great Kingdom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 116
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dusamae.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis

Review by Dusamae -- The Lost Identity Casualties

Post by Dusamae »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Lost Identity Casualties" by Kim Ekemar.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Lost Identity Casualties (The Callaghan Septology Book 1) by Kim Ekemar is about Matthias Callaghan. Matthias is in a coma at the beginning of the book. He doesn’t know why he is there, how he got there, or who he is. He finds out that he has lost his fingers and has had a face transplant.

I cannot imagine waking up and not remembering anything, even my name. That’s what happened to Matthias Callaghan. What’s even scarier is finding out that you have no fingers and later to discover you have had a face transplant.

This character in relives the past to discover what happened to him as his memories come back a little at a time. His memory of his father goes from 1972 until 2005, which explains how self-absorbed his father is. His friend Allan, also his former partner from 2004 to 2006. The biggest part of the story is from 2007 – 2008 which is the time he was mutilated. In this section, I am sure the reviewer will say I have given a spoiler, but the fact is, it is referenced in the “About This Book” section. The only spoiler I may have given are the dates. So, if that bothers you reader, I do apologize.

My favorite part of the book is when Matthias remembers what led up to his mutilation and his plan to get revenge on all involved. I was a little confused with some of his actions, but I had one part figured out and was happy when that part of the book finally happened.

I despised the father, Matthias Callaghan II, he was a self-absorbed, pompous ass. I don’t know why his son, Matthias Callaghan III put up with him. He just took up air for the rest of the characters.

I didn’t like the part in the first of the book where the author felt superior to the American reader with the comment about the placement of commas. I thought the comment was rude and I will not be reading anything else by this author.

My rating for this book is 3 out of 4 stars. The book was a little slow at times and at other times too predictable. I would recommend this book to people who like books by a British reader since the spelling may confuse American readers. I would not recommend this book to American readers who don’t know how the British comma is used. This book would not be suitable for children.

The Lost Identity Casualties
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like Dusamae's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”