Review by Chrystal Oaks -- Pastoring is Not What You Think

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Chrystal Oaks
2019 Reading Goal: 24
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 33
Favorite Book: The Sister Circle
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrystal-oaks.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Review by Chrystal Oaks -- Pastoring is Not What You Think

Post by Chrystal Oaks » 08 Feb 2019, 20:13

[Following is a volunteer review of "Pastoring is Not What You Think" by Elijah Oladimeji.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Pastor Job is the main pastor at Church of All Grace. He is a pastor who is married, talks in his sleep about current problems plaguing the United States, and talks to himself. He gives advice to the members of his church through his sermons, as well as to members and individuals away from the church service, and he constantly worries about money. Pastor Job also expresses his thoughts about his feelings toward people who seldom go to church, as well as expressing his strong belief and faith in God.

When I picked Pastoring is Not What You Think by Elijah Oladimeji, which is categorized as other fiction, I was expecting a comparison between how others view a pastor and what being a pastor actually is. I was disappointed when I realized the book wasn’t written the way I was expecting. After I finished reading this short story, there seemed to be no clear purpose for why this book was written. There was no clear storyline; just points in a story-like format. After pondering this question for awhile, it occurred to me that this book would be wonderful to use in a Bible study group.

I liked that Oladimeji named the pastor, Job. It’s an invitation to explore the Old Testament Book of Job and see if the two have similar characteristics. One trait they share is a strong belief and faith in God regardless of what life brings. Another point that seems to be repetitive is the mantra of ask, believe, and receive. Throughout the book Oladimeji writes about several situations where the person asks for something through Pastor Job, who then prays to God on their behalf, and believes that God will provide. Later, Pastor Job finds out that that particular want was received. These scenarios support the two New Testament passages: Matthew 21:22 and Mark 11:24.

In one of Pastor Job’s many reflections, he expresses frustration toward people forgetting about God when times are good, but then suddenly remembering God when things start going bad. He realizes that God must forgive because the bad situation always seems to work out for the best. There are numerous passages that support God’s forgiveness. No matter what, Pastor Job always puts God first and looks to God to solve problems. In his opinion people who look to philosophy and psychology for a solution are sinning against God. I disagree. I believe that God is in everything including philosophy and psychology. There are many other points Oladimeji raises in which going to a Bible study group could provide some answers or guidance.

I’m not sure the author had his PDF file version proof-read, assuming that that was the problem, because I felt like I was reading a rough draft. The sections where Oladimeji writes long, extended paragraphs, such as when Pastor Job is talking in his sleep or delivering his sermons, I didn’t notice any errors. However, for the rest of the book, there was unclear written dialog, numerous punctuation mistakes, improper paragraph spacing, and a couple of grammar errors. There were even a couple of places where the dialog was written in script style.

While this book is suitable for anyone who wants to read it, I recommend it for someone who wants to learn or grow deeper in their faith. Even though I didn’t always agree with the views he presented, Oladimeji did bring up quite a few good discussion points. The extremely poor editing brought the rating down and I give this book 2 out of 4 stars.

Pastoring is Not What You Think
View: on Bookshelves

Like Chrystal Oaks's review? Post a comment saying so!
We do not simply live in this universe. The universe lives within us.

- Neil deGrasse Tyson

InStoree
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 55
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-instoree.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by InStoree » 25 Feb 2019, 12:48

Chrystal Oaks wrote:
08 Feb 2019, 20:13
[...]he constantly worries about money.
That's so awkward! A pastor worrying for money sounds more like a business man-pastor.
Chrystal Oaks wrote:
When I picked Pastoring is Not What You Think by Elijah Oladimeji, which is categorized as other fiction, I was expecting a comparison between how others view a pastor and what being a pastor actually is.
I thought the exactly same thing. I was actually excited to find out the 'truth'.
Chrystal Oaks wrote:
[...]he expresses frustration toward people forgetting about God when times are good, but then suddenly remembering God when things start going bad.
A pastor feeling frustration toward people is just not right.
Pastoring is Not What You Think - I think I will remain at my old opinion. Thank you for your great review, Crystal! It helped me decide not to read this book.
'You just have to Trust Your Own Madness' - Clive Barker :tiphat:

Chrystal Oaks

Post by Chrystal Oaks » 25 Feb 2019, 16:01

InStoree wrote:
25 Feb 2019, 12:48
Chrystal Oaks wrote:
[...]he constantly worries about money.
That's so awkward! A pastor worrying for money sounds more like a business man-pastor.
Chrystal Oaks wrote:
When I picked Pastoring is Not What You Think by Elijah Oladimeji, which is categorized as other fiction, I was expecting a comparison between how others view a pastor and what being a pastor actually is.
I thought the exactly same thing. I was actually excited to find out the 'truth'.
Chrystal Oaks wrote:
[...]he expresses frustration toward people forgetting about God when times are good, but then suddenly remembering God when things start going bad.
A pastor feeling frustration toward people is just not right.
Pastoring is Not What You Think - I think I will remain at my old opinion. Thank you for your great review, Crystal! It helped me decide not to read this book.

Thanks for reading the review and commenting. :)

- Neil deGrasse Tyson

angiejack456
Currently Reading: Behind Closed Doors
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angiejack456.html
Latest Review: From Drift to SHIFT by Jody B. Miller

Post by angiejack456 » 01 Mar 2019, 13:03

Nice review! I reviewed this short book as well and had many of the same impressions that you did. While I enjoyed reading about Pastor Job's unwavering faith, the short story as a whole was not satisfying because it was so disjointed and lacked clear direction as well as a plot line. Thanks for your honest look at this book!

Chrystal Oaks

Post by Chrystal Oaks » 01 Mar 2019, 20:31

angiejack456 wrote:
01 Mar 2019, 13:03
Nice review! I reviewed this short book as well and had many of the same impressions that you did. While I enjoyed reading about Pastor Job's unwavering faith, the short story as a whole was not satisfying because it was so disjointed and lacked clear direction as well as a plot line. Thanks for your honest look at this book!
Thank you for reading my review. It is good to know that you had similar impressions. :)

- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”