Review by nonamer_miss -- Of Zots and Xoodles

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
nonamer_miss
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonamer-miss.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Review by nonamer_miss -- Of Zots and Xoodles

Post by nonamer_miss »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Of Zots and Xoodles" by Zarqnon the Embarrassed.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Of Zots and Xoodles is an informative and thought-provoking book. This science fiction is compact, straightforward and entertaining despite being heavily tainted with physics.

One Tuesday (If Tuesdays truly exist) Theodil stands in a room of rooms within a space of space before a doubtful and criticizing committee. There, Theodil creates the universe with nothing but zero parameters that will develop time, light, space, gravity and spots that look like dots which he calls zots. Eventually, the zots plow into each other when they dance and swirl, as a result, the dots look similarly like noodles and so, he calls them xoodles. Will Theodil amuse the committee with his theory? Will he capture the attention of a muffled and partisan crowd?

Of Zots and Xoodles is written by Zarqnon the Embarrassed or JW McLaughlin in real life who has deep curiosity in chemistry, biology, physics philosophy, music, religion, sci-fi, and other subjects. He found out that he is in the autism spectrum at 40 years old. The illustrator Frank Louis Allen is also in the autism spectrum and is legally blind.

I am not a sci-fi person therefore, I am fascinated that I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. The writer managed to put across what may seem like a complicated subject to others imaginatively and aesthetically. It is light and fun. Theodil is an intriguing, intelligent and humorous character. I can only wish that my chemistry and physics teachers were as charming and clever as Theodil. I love reading poems so the witty and poem-like dialogues such as “They look like spots. Let's call them zots. We’re so impressed by these dot - like zots” consequently drew a smile on my face. Initially, I thought that the illustration was chaotic, however, as I ponder the art together with the story, it became beautiful chaos.

I found this book inspiring. It encourages us to think outside the box, to be creative and to reflect on facts. Moreover, challenge and explore things or knowledge that we already know rather than simply settling on the story given to us. Absolutely, like the committee and the crowd in this story, there are people who will ignore, doubt, criticize and question us. They will try to agitate us, but like Theodil, we should persevere and stand by our newfound learning.

As much as I would like to give this book a perfect score, I will rate this book 3 stars out of 4. Noticeably, one of the unique features and charm of this book is the choppy storyline, however, as the story progressed it made me confused a lot. Nonetheless, I would like to recommend this book to everyone, especially those who like science fictions and those that are interested in creation theories.

Of Zots and Xoodles
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like nonamer_miss's review? Post a comment saying so!
BelleReadsNietzsche
Currently Reading: The Handmaid's Tale
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bellereadsnietzsche.html
Latest Review: I Can See Peace by Julie Penshorn
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by BelleReadsNietzsche »

It seems to me like you really captured the tone and content of this book in your review, in an impressive way! I also don’t really read sci-fi, but this book’s focus on the creation process seems just so fun and charming, I definitely think I’d like it. Thanks for the review.
"The bitter truth we critics must face is that, in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so." -Ratatouille (2007)
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

"If you can't say it simply, then you don't understand it completely." That's how the adage goes, although I'm more inclined to write metaphorically as a matter of instinct. It's notable how this piece has made physics more tolerable than what it is normally infamous for. Thank you for your insightful review.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
Reader Robin
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Reader Robin »

I found your line about both being creative and to stick to the facts interesting. I think people tend to see that as an either/or and left/right brain kind of thing.
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

I do like science fiction but this book seems to be a little too chaotic for me. Thanks for the review!
Oyedeji Okikioluwa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 964
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-orizon.html
Latest Review: Proverbs 4:7 by Gaidi

Post by Oyedeji Okikioluwa »

I look forward to reading this book, I may find it interesting because of its creativity. Nice review.
Latest Review: Proverbs 4:7 by Gaidi

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”